• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen 9 Pokemon Game Hinted in Sword and Shield?

Merchandise is primarily tied to the anime, folks. The latter is supposed to promote the former.

The games don't really need foreshadowing or even that much cross-media promotion in general. Also, there is upcoming merchandise featuring all sorts of old Pokemon; I'd show you this (again) if Pokeshopper.com weren't down. Kanto always gets merchandise, so it was very hard to use that as an indicator of Kanto games in 2018. Eevee was being marketed via Movie 21 first, so if anything that movie foreshadowed LGPE (not all that well, given the Johto focus). That was also an unusual case where they tried to equate Eevee's popularity with Pikachu's. But this time the anime series is hardly limited to Sinnoh, and whatever mascots we're getting next will probably be on equal footing.

And the Cynthia reference from Platinum may very well not reappear in DP remakes, and even if it did... It woudln't mean anything more than it did the first time around.

Last edited:
Poffins return in Pokemon Go just recently, so maybe there is something to this.

Also, the anime no longer has a female companion but instead an effeminate boy. I know this is suppose to be the times we are living in but... man oh man, I was not expecting this, not at all.

And the Cynthia reference from Platinum may very well not reappear in DP remakes, and even if it did... It woudln't mean anything more than it did the first time around.

It was suppose to hint of Unova, but the idea was reworked instead. It usually happens during development.

Poffins return in Pokemon Go just recently, so maybe there is something to this.

Also, the anime no longer has a female companion but instead an effeminate boy. I know this is suppose to be the times we are living in but... man oh man, I was not expecting this, not at all.

It was suppose to hint of Unova, but the idea was reworked instead. It usually happens during development.

there is a girl in the laboratory. They will probably travel together in 3 later on or Ash will travel again with the girl from the games and the first gym leader, or with this guy, after some episodes...
He knows Galar exists now and there will be a league... I think this will be a 26 episode season of reminding things, like Ash old pokemon, other regions, companions similar like we always had.

Then Ash will maybe get Scorchbunny from him and travel to Galar... his teammates dream is to catch a Mew... if he achieves that? what then? They probably made a pause to aniate more episodes and seasons especially because it will be a battle oriented generation again.

Taking that gen I Mew was always related with Aztecs, Spain and the Finest region start to make sense...
Mew was fine in strategy and usage, changed upon time. Maybe will get a form change to equal Mewtwo more in combat even? Psychic/fairy or Psychic/dark would fit it to combat Mewtwo.

there is a girl in the laboratory. They will probably travel together in 3 later on or Ash will travel again with the girl from the games and the first gym leader, or with this guy, after some episodes...
He knows Galar exists now and there will be a league... I think this will be a 26 episode season of reminding things, like Ash old pokemon, other regions, companions similar like we always had.

Then Ash will maybe get Scorchbunny from him and travel to Galar... his teammates dream is to catch a Mew... if he achieves that? what then? They probably made a pause to aniate more episodes and seasons especially because it will be a battle oriented generation again.

Taking that gen I Mew was always related with Aztecs, Spain and the Finest region start to make sense...
Mew was fine in strategy and usage, changed upon time. Maybe will get a form change to equal Mewtwo more in combat even? Psychic/fairy or Psychic/dark would fit it to combat Mewtwo.
The girl character will likely be the female companion for the series, and will travel with Ash and Gou in possibly season 2 or such.
As for League? We have to remember that this anime is being worked on by the exact same people who did the Pokemon AU movies, so they would most likely want to go a different direction (obviously because of how stale the old formulas were). Plus Ash is now Champion of Alola, what is there for Ash to do now except to compete in the PWT in Unova. Perhaps from there he would not only meet the previous Champions again, mostly Cynthia because of Gen 4 Remake, but also Leon.

As for Mew, we'll just have to wait and see.

It's definitely likely that there are hints in this game to the next region.
Since Gen 4, the next games have always been hinted at. As some have said, other hints/easter eggs etc only become clear in hindsight.

The first games I remember being hinted at, were HGSS, pretty much every game since then (apart from 3rd installments) have had hints towards them in some form or another.

Personally, I don't think it will be Spain however I wish it was. I think it could be a Spanish speaking part of Latin America or back to the US of A, California or Florida perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's definitely likely that there are hints in this game to the next region.
Since Gen 4, the next games have always been hinted at. As some have said, other hints/easter eggs etc only become clear in hindsight.
Some people seem to think unless it's blatant, (a woman running around the region dancing flamenco, cooking paella saying hey why dont you come to my region 3 years from now) then its not a hint/easter egg.

The first games I remember being hinted at, were HGSS, pretty much every game since then (apart from 3rd installments) have had hints towards them in some form or another.

Personally, I don't think it will be Spain however I wish it was. I think it could be a Spanish speaking part of Latin America or back to the US of A, California or Florida perhaps?
100% agreed and with how Game Freak has cut away more than half of the Pokemon, I don't see them taking a year off anytime soon.

Plus Ash is now Champion of Alola, what is there for Ash to do now except to compete in the PWT in Unova. Perhaps from there he would not only meet the previous Champions again, mostly Cynthia because of Gen 4 Remake, but also Leon.

Meet Champion of Galar? who doesnt want to battle him till he battles others?
Hmmm they actually could hint in anime a great turnament in future that all champions of all regions start but to start You need to beat other 3 champions of other leagues?

Hmmm old battle formula from gen 6 would work well if mixed with sense of humor and more abilities and moves, switching and other strategies... flinching, freezing, sleeping and more of it.

Just as there have been hints of future Pokemon games in the past, Sword and Shield, regardless of it's lackness, seems to not be an exception. There are two hints found within the game.

Hint 1: When you enter the first Pokemon Center in Wyndon, you meet a man in a tuxedo and hat. Although he doesn't turn around, he does respond with this... ''I'd like to invite some of the fine Trainers flourishing in Galar back to my own region.'' So with this said, could it be that the theme applied to Gen 9 will be the 'Finest' Pokemon Game ever made? Well in order for them to accomplish that, they've certainly got a LOT of improving to catch up on.

Hint 2: From what one player discovered, one of the Hikers reveals that he came from another region, and would even speak in Spanish (Whether or not that's true, can anyone please help me to find proof of it?)

So with that said, it is likely that for Gen 9, it will probably be based on Spain, and are already planning, story-boarding and sketching for it before releasing it in 2022. (Or if they become very scummy, 2021 to mark Pokemon's 25th Anniversary, just like they released Sun and Moon on the 20th Anniversary and doing little for Kalos. Which I hope not, because I would really like a third or sequal SwSh game to fix the flaws of the current ones.)

Why do I say Spain? Remember when we all thought Gen 8 was going to be based on Spain, based on GF doing research in Northern Spain 2 years ago? Well perhaps that's the reason for it. So for those guessing that the next region will be based on Spain? Well, they are right. Just one Region behind the upcoming one.
at the end u were right, gen 9 is based in Spain

Wouldn't be surprised if they threw some curveballs at us from like Gen 1-3 or something just to get some older fans to go "oh hey that's interesting, maybe I'll check it out". Like Gen II had Unown who can open portals to dimensions and Celebi who can basically travel through time...surely they can tie in things from way back then?

And what Toxtricity calendar?
My bad it was a poster, but there was a G-Max Toxtricity poster in USUM (bottom center) :
EZD8_yVUwAE5Oz4.png

Nobody knew about it until looking back at it in hindsight.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom