• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Gen 9 Predictions (Development predictions, New Regions, Version names)

I don't think there would be any point in making multiple regions out of Australia. The individual states aren't that distinct from each other culturally or geographically
I mean, there’s a post literally on this same page which showcases the geographical diversity among Australian states. And we know that there also a bevy of different cultures.

Wait, so which is it? Does Australia not have enough source material for multiple regions, or is it that people are too unfamiliar with Australia to justify Game Freak using it for two regions? You've changed arguments here.

It's both, the two arguments are related. The lack of distinct landmarks and cultures from the various territories are a part of the reason WHY people are unfamiliar with each one.

I don't think doing a little researching about a country is out of Game Freak's skillset.

True, but if you have to do that much researching, it's probably not worth splitting them up like that in the first place.

I think it's high time we have starters appear in the wild. They appear in the wild in Pokemon Go, they appear in the wild in the Anime, and In Let's Go Pikachu. Lore wise, you can't expect starters to be only resigned to professors giving them away to young trainers.

I think it's high time we have starters appear in the wild. They appear in the wild in Pokemon Go, they appear in the wild in the Anime, and In Let's Go Pikachu. Lore wise, you can't expect starters to be only resigned to professors giving them away to young trainers.

Well the 1st and 6th gen starters did appear in the Friend Safari in XY, so that wouldn't be a first.

They seem to keep them exclusive to promote trading, so I think if they were to make them wild again it would have to be through a similar feature that promotes communication with other players.

Starters were also available in the Island Scan in Su/Mo/US/UM so I don’t think it’s out of the question for it to occur again in gen 9

Forgot about that one, but those are also for past gen starters, not the current gen starters like the other examples. I think they might be a little more lenient on past gen starters because they're not that game's starters and they've probably been distributed multiple times in the past.

Every single region prediction we've made that doesn't include the US in some capacity is kind of dependent of GF going completely out of left field for gen IX.

Personally, I'm a bit tired of region predictions and arguments over what's the most likely, because this is ultimately nintendo we're talking about. The company that does whatever the enf it wants.

So, Version Names anyone? Mine are Zero and Infinity, colored Dark and Light gray, with three additional accents of red, blue, and green (Zero)/Yellow (Infinity). The logo's are shaped like the frontal profile of a Burgonet and Turban helmet respectively.

Every single region prediction we've made that doesn't include the US in some capacity is kind of dependent of GF going completely out of left field for gen IX.
Eh, every single non-Japan region is in a well-known and popular tourist destination--and with lots of paying customers. Claiming that any non-US prediction is dependent on GameFreak going out of left field is a bit silly considering we have several games of precedent to go off of. And I'd say "GameFreak breaks patterns all the time" isn't the strongest argument in this case as it makes sense for GF to select locations that are well-known, especially when you take into account the game's target audience of young children.
So, Version Names anyone? Mine are Zero and Infinity, colored Dark and Light gray, with three additional accents of red, blue, and green (Zero)/Yellow (Infinity). The logo's are shaped like the frontal profile of a Burgonet and Turban helmet respectively.
Is this really a prediction? The chances of you predicting the gen 9 game's logos down to this fine of detail when we don't even know how this generation will end seems highly implausible.

Really just an attempt to change the flow of the conversation. It's since gone completely off-topic. Also close to any prediction we make is highly improbable. These were meant to be thought exercises, not serious speculation quite as much as people thought they would be. Nintendo ultimately does what it it wants with anything.

Last edited:

The odds for this is literally next to none but I hope it's just one version. Pokemon Platinum Dimensions. Nothing else that makes sense sounds quite right

Will there another pokemon gen names based on gemstones

There are tons. Coral and Turquoise? (Also happen to be very traditional art materials in the Balkans, because most of it is both coastal and mountainous. Also Turkish colonization).

Opal is probably out given Giratina's loose affiliation with them (if the theme naming fits the other two creation trio members it's probably named after girasol opals, which can be blood-red like its claws)

Jet and Jade (for a China region)?

I doubt we'll see game names based on gems again, game names tend to be chosen based on opposing concepts that have a deeper theme, and they've been trending that way more and more recently. The likes of Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl are already pretty out there in that regard and it'd be tough to think of any more.

I doubt we'll see game names based on gems again, game names tend to be chosen based on opposing concepts that have a deeper theme, and they've been trending that way more and more recently. The likes of Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl are already pretty out there in that regard and it'd be tough to think of any more.
That kinda fits with Ruby and Sapphire, as they are actually two forms of the same mineral: corundum.

Late to the conversation on it, but I'm reviving my account just to state how annoying it is for Pokemon fans to speculate a "South America" region when that is a whole continent with 14 countries. That is far too much for a single game, let alone to all be distilled into a DLC tacked on to a campaign that treats a *particular* region of the US like the Southwest as a hub region (also did y'all forget Orre was based off of Arizona?) Plus, North and South America just... do not connect. Central America and the Caribbean divide them. And we have all have huge communities of Pokemon fans that would like our cultures represented in video games, only reason the anglophone world may not be aware of this is because generally anglophone communities of anything are just isolated from every other linguistic community. But as someone that has been a fan for most of my life now, yeah, there's a very hefty millions of #Lateenks fans.

That said, I can't deny the obvious -- as usual, if Latin America is going to be represented at all, it's going to be through either Mexico or Brasil. Personally, I'd love either, but feel Brasil is more likely due to the sheer diversity of its fauna, environments, climates, settlements and mythology. Also, it straight up has the largest population of Japanese people outside of Japan. It's just a place that could be very easily weaved into the lore. Hell, I think Brasil being eventually chosen as a reference if they ever choose to do something with the Southern Hemisphere is a little...inevitable, really. Very easy to market, very easy to worldbuild on, very easy to connect to other regions...

Only issue is however, that I simply don't think GF will be going to South America this next time. Maybe for Gen X. But for now, I could easily forsee a return to Japan (Chūgoku and Chūbu still haven't been done), the US (probably California) or one more hit of Europe (Spain and Greece to me are the most likely).

Late to the conversation on it, but I'm reviving my account just to state how annoying it is for Pokemon fans to speculate a "South America" region when that is a whole continent with 14 countries. That is far too much for a single game, let alone to all be distilled into a DLC tacked on to a campaign that treats a *particular* region of the US like the Southwest as a hub region (also did y'all forget Orre was based off of Arizona?) Plus, North and South America just... do not connect. Central America and the Caribbean divide them. And we have all have huge communities of Pokemon fans that would like our cultures represented in video games, only reason the anglophone world may not be aware of this is because generally anglophone communities of anything are just isolated from every other linguistic community. But as someone that has been a fan for most of my life now, yeah, there's a very hefty millions of #Lateenks fans.
As a Latin American fan, when I see "Latin American" region I always read it as "a country/zone from Latin America" instead of them saying they want the whole continent as a region.

Of course, my exposure to the fandom is mostly limited to this site, so maybe it's in other sites where they mean it like that (wouldn't surprise me...)

That said, I can't deny the obvious -- as usual, if Latin America is going to be represented at all, it's going to be through either Mexico or Brasil. Personally, I'd love either, but feel Brasil is more likely due to the sheer diversity of its fauna, environments, climates, settlements and mythology. Also, it straight up has the largest population of Japanese people outside of Japan. It's just a place that could be very easily weaved into the lore. Hell, I think Brasil being eventually chosen as a reference if they ever choose to do something with the Southern Hemisphere is a little...inevitable, really. Very easy to market, very easy to worldbuild on, very easy to connect to other regions...
I kinda feel this is what would happen, mostly because I know Central America is going to be skipped, which would be sad for me (I have bias...)

I really think it might be awhile before we get a new generation. The games generally follow the anime and Pokémon Journeys has been all about revisiting past regions, to that end I’m willing to bet Game Freak might go for multiple remakes in a row. Sinnoh remakes next, Johto after, and possibly even Unova. I’d love if they finally made a Z Version as well, it’s sort of the “missing” title from 6th Gen that could’ve saved Kalos and the disaster that was XY, and really they’d just have to scale XY up to HD to obtain the groundwork for the game.

Ideally, we’ll see every main series region in HD on the Switch this decade.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom