• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Gen 9 Predictions (Development predictions, New Regions, Version names)

Doesn't change much from my predictions, admittedly. This is actually better for pokemon as a whole, both business-wise and creatively. I do thouroghly believe this will lead to more time to develop the Gen 4 remakes, given that staff can be divided between the season pass content and the next games.

Romania as a regional basis is definetly something I've been thinking about for a long time, given my appreciation for the country, it's people, and it's culture. I really can't think of a good regional name that's quite original, though. This hypothetical region should not only include Transylvania, but also Wallachia, Moldavia (including moldova proper), Banat, and Bucovina. It should add some gothic flairs to the pokemon aesthetic, thus creating a unique pastel-gothic pokemon style. The gym challenge really buys into the transhumance aspect of pokemon training (IE the journey itself). It would more obviouly have a fairytale/fantasy edge to it, probably dark to fit the pastel-gothic atmosphere. The villainous teams could be based off of the idea of warring cults, and corruption within the pokemon league could be a major story point. Ivory version's logo depicts a lobster-pot helmet, signyfiying that the version legendary is based off of a hussar.

Doesn't change much from my predictions, admittedly. This is actually better for pokemon as a whole, both business-wise and creatively. I do thouroghly believe this will lead to more time to develop the Gen 4 remakes, given that staff can be divided between the season pass content and the next games.

Romania as a regional basis is definetly something I've been thinking about for a long time, given my appreciation for the country, it's people, and it's culture. I really can't think of a good regional name that's quite original, though. This hypothetical region should not only include Transylvania, but also Wallachia, Moldavia (including moldova proper), Banat, and Bucovina. It should add some gothic flairs to the pokemon aesthetic, thus creating a unique pastel-gothic pokemon style. The gym challenge really buys into the transhumance aspect of pokemon training (IE the journey itself). It would more obviouly have a fairytale/fantasy edge to it, probably dark to fit the pastel-gothic atmosphere. The villainous teams could be based off of the idea of warring cults, and corruption within the pokemon league could be a major story point. Ivory version's logo depicts a lobster-pot helmet, signyfiying that the version legendary is based off of a hussar.
I don't think that we're going to even get Gen IV remakes anymore.

Non Let's Go remakes can't be justified anymore because of the existence of Expansion Passes.
Actually, they can because of unrelated stories and how much space the remakes can take on a Switch cart. Plus, Game Freak would rather keep two remake series rather than getting rid of one to double the money intake. It's just how business work in general, the more line of products available, the more money a company makes.

I think an India based region could be next due to Cufant and Copperajahs Pokédex entries stating that they came from a different region. Going back even further we have Yungoos and Gumshoos whose entries state that they come from another region. They are mongooses, and guess where Mongooses are native? That’s right, India.

I think an India based region could be next due to Cufant and Copperajahs Pokédex entries stating that they came from a different region. Going back even further we have Yungoos and Gumshoos whose entries state that they come from another region. They are mongooses, and guess where Mongooses are native? That’s right, India.
However, Yungoos and Gumshoos are just references to a real life ecological problem in Hawaii, while Cufant and Copperajah are just nods to the UK's past of colonialism.

Non Let's Go remakes can't be justified anymore because of the existence of Expansion Passes.
You can use the same logic to justify Sword and Shield being the only Pokémon games on the Switch, you know that, right?

They’re not going to sell an entire region in a $30 expansion pass when they can get full price and main series level sales. An expansion pass can’t even dream of selling as much as a Main Series game so that line of thinking goes out of the window too.

Any more excuses to justify the bias? I wouldn't even mind if you flat out said that you don’t want Sinnoh remakes instead of coming up with doomsday-like Logic which you post about when someone literally even mentions the remakes.

Post 1[literally one mention of Gen 4 remakes in a post about Gen 9]
Your reply: Gen 4 remakes will never happen.

Idk what all this jumping out at everyone who dares to mention a remake is supposed to mean.

I predict more unique ice, poison, ghost , fairy and dragon type abilities.
Types that werent used in the past will get more moves.

Much more physical fairy type moves. (5 or 6 and even one retyped)

Physical sound moves and sound moves of un-used types.

Hence, Niello and Ivory. Ebony and Ivory would work too, but it kind of ruins the subtelty when it's obviou by name that ebony is dark colored.
I mean, it'd appear on the logo and boxart for the game, too- why bother with subtlety at all?

Things I predict/hope will happen for Gen 9. These aren't too far out of the realm of possibility:
  • A completely seamless world map, with overworld Pokemon encounters
  • Pokedex of around 600, similar in size to Sword/Shield with the DLC update
  • Legendaries/Mythicals from past games are distributed via DLC. Ideally, they are caught by playing through a Delta Episode-esque storyline/sidequest (for example, there would be a sidequest to find the Rainbow Wing and summon Ho-oh).
  • A linear storyline/main campaign. This story will (attempt to) be higher quality and have well-written characters, like SM's or BW(2)'s. Now, this is some rather subjective speculation, but since Gen 5 it seems like gens have alternated between crap stories and good ones. (Gen 5 = good stories, Gen 6 = meh stories, Gen 7 = good stories, Gen 8 = meh stories)
Unlikely things which I'd still like to see anyway:
  • Certain gyms can be challenged out of order, like in Diamond and Pearl. This would allow them to have a linear story while giving the player more freedom to explore the region.
  • Plenty of optional areas, sidequests and battles. This allows the player to take a break from the main campaign and hopefully discover some cool new things. Bonus points if it's lore-related and makes reference to mysterious old legends.
  • Some sort of New Game +, difficulty modes or even settings - maybe the player could choose the wild Pokemon encounter rate, increase or decrease enemy Pokemon levels & stats, and choose the trainer AI difficulty through in-game menu options.
  • Following Pokemon. Come on, at least one person per Gen 9 speculation thread has to request this, right?

Last edited:
I don't think that we're going to even get Gen IV remakes anymore.

cough, that would be a bad decission.
Taking that gen 4 and 5 need better graphic design and create a great possibility to reprove the models and create a time gate for gen 9.
Taking they give now expansions they can make gen 2 in 2021, gen 9 in 2023. They can even add expansions in gen 4 remakes to show disortion world better and many cities.

Interesting we got most games redone in new style, Johto only felt left behind...

- all gyms can be battled in different orders, some gyms and gym leaders change places and are on the run

- focus on new pokemon with planned expansions

- megas, z-moves, gigantamax/dmax via items allowed and optainable but chosen at beggining of the game... that You can chose only one of the three mechanics in the beginning with Your starter together + maybe a additional mechanic... Would be cool to see a region that brough all mechanics together or one where human created something for their pokemon to fight off mechanics from other regions.

- story? we would need a pokemon league, maybe a villianious team of ghosts of 8 evil pokemon kings? that could use mechanics from different regions? have different pokemon teams? they want to catch the Legendaries and rule the world?

- a good team that wants to stop them but they have a hidden agenda of their own that is revealed late

- two teams that each is a magical like Hogwart level of their legendary mascot, both fight against each other to show who is better.

- running or wandering gym leaders that move on ships, in caravans and you need to follow them or trace them.

- a desert dry region like from Aladdin and Diablo level 2...

-new mechanic but less invasive but powerfull affecting this time abilities or something:
:combinig/fusion pokemon-new forms,
:pokemon armors or weapons(ancient ones and new created futuristic ones)
:magical seals tatoos(remember gigantic Alakazam and Gengar with the signs on body, maybe additional abilities or something)

-Or instead of mechanic show a region with pokemon with powerfull abilities and moves but not focused on speed and stats...

Pokemon Sacred and Pokemon Cursed, One legendary is treated as the hero of the region and the other is the Outsider...
was thinking fighting/fairy and ghost/dark would be a nice pair to see. Want a more fairy, ghost, dragon, oriented region with giving types with the smallest amount of pokemon more back up. The region would be a Sandy desert like in Aladin or Diablo, allowing gen 5 pokemon to shine more here... with palaces, temples and a more middle west touch mixed with Greek, Roman, India.

Pokemon Order and Chaos, this could be a nice generation 12 as final series to use all mechanics and pokemon but seperated that each game has a totally different set of 650 pokemon, that together they give 1300 pokemon.

- always wanted battle racing meachanic that you race, run and battle allowing you to avoid attacks and create strategies depending on the battlefield that could change as a mini game or main series addition to make gyms better, similar like orange league or battlefrontier in the jungle battle. Something like Pokken but a racing battle version of it. That You can use 3 or 6 pokemon but to fin you need either to take down opponents pokemon or finish the race itself...

Wanted also a minigame with that pokemon ball game they showed in the anime with battle and collecting points.

A new Pokken game where you could use moves like in the main series, stats moves too but with time limits of doing moves and the pp count and effects of moves from main series. without calling team mates but regular calling out via pokemon like main series it was but without the turn after turn but speed more calculated ... with short time pause after dealing damage for the attacker that the defender can react.
More Harry Potter style movements from left to right too. With Dig and other moves to work like they did but with controlled movement in te semi invulnerable turn to avoid invisible attack.

a Pokken Stadium,

a fire starter poney that turnes in a fire/ghost majestic Samurai horse that is a hidden Cenatur with samurai armor and the horse hairs made of black or blue fire turning into hands and weapons and forming a upper body of a real sammurai using shield and sword or bow and arrows. the horses head and body would stay normal or be implemented into the fiery body

Last edited:
One method of teasing GEN 9 That nintendo might use in the gen 4 remakes is the introduction of new characters and pokemon. Surprisingly, the western balkans (Illystrius) and hokkaido (Sinnoh) share some wildlife, so this does make a little sense.

As a side note, I'll focus on one concept at a time from now on, the particular region being Illystrius

Two ideas:

A split two-stage Great Bittern pokemon, consiting of a chick, an adult, and an undead form. The chick evolves into the adult (which has gender-differences: the male is faster and more agile and the female is more defensive and has better attack) through leveling, whilst the undead form hatches if the player is defeated whilst carrying an egg that contains the chick form. The undead form is a little wierd: It's not exactly ghostly, but scraggly and visibly deformed, with legs that bend at unnatural angles and a beak that has been sharpened into a jagged point. It has a combination of both long plumage haphazardly mixed in with down. It's neck is somewhat broken and can move in unnatural and distorted ways. If this sounds like some kind of avian botchling, that's because it is (Drekavac, close enough). The great bittern is thought to be the origin of the Drekavac myth because of its booming, otherworldly cry. What better to illustrate that than a literal undead bittern? Typings are flying (chick and adult) and flying/ghost (undead)

A three-stage vampire moth. Sinnoh really doesn't have a dedicated three-stage bug, so why couldn't it share with Illystrius? This vampire moth is based off some traits of traditonal slavic vampires with a slight japanese twist. The caterpillar form is feral, with glazed over pupil-less eyes an a giant horn which it uses to attack everything in sight. Upon gorging itself in blood (read: use draining moves 30 times), it will morph into a heart-shaped cocoon, covered in spikes and venous tendrills. Then, upon being enough times, the cocoon will hatch into a bewitching vaguely sprite-like moth creature, with vibrant red and black wings that are jagged like those of a bat, long claws on its legs, a distinctively gaunt head (Think undead viviolion or leavany), feelers shaped like oni horns, and a thorax reminiscent of a hakama skirt. It's back is open, and tiny organs can be seen through this hole in the back. These actually mimic the internal processes of a real moth's organs. Typing is bug (larvae and cocoon) and bg/ghost (moth)

Any thoughts?

I hope the creators watched The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina(season 3), Legacy, Supernatural and Sleepy Hollow when it will come to regions, new pokemon and abilities.

Especially goats and snakes catch the eye...

Hope they introduce many new things that relate to old one especially abilities and moves.

Could imagine a pokemon with 5 heads, 5 HP and that a "hit " takes out one hp, that would mean you would need to use a multistrike 5 times hitting one move to take it down in one turn. That or many entry hazards and weather to harm it. Or a pokemon build like a Matrioshka doll and every hit take it down till it faints, 3 layers of protection? 2 such pokemon could be very nice for a grass/dragon or rock/ghost pokemon in my opinion. Their forms would change with each hp lost, the dragon would loose heads and the doll would become smaller.

One more ability to this would be that a pokemon is always not taking damage from the first damage calculation of any move it gets. Something to protect from hazards, strong moves, that would force the attacker to use multi strike move. This kind of pokemon could have low hp and stats actually. Something for a rock or steel type. Maybe a steel/ghost type?

taking we have Skill link ability and many of them.

Normal type got 7 multistrike moves? I think Comet punch should be fairty, Spike Cannon poison and Furry Attack or Fury Swipes dark or dragon typed.
Or the oposite that a pokemon stats get stronger when it looses hp, tat would mean 120 hp, lets say it get other stats base 60, if it looses 60 hp, the other stats get +60ppoints... if it would loose 110 hp then rest stats would gain 60+110=170, each stats would have.

Last edited:
One method of teasing the new region in the gen IV remakes would be to leave clues regarding the legendaries in the Oreburg Mining museum (or if the anime-exclusive Eternia History museum is introduced). This takes the form of the Void and Abyss caskets: A pair of ritual boxes on exhibition (the interior is completely different from the original; it's actually on a dedicated exhibit on the top floor).

The abyss casket is shaped as a tetrahedronal construct in the form of two tall isoceles pyramids fused at the flat, with a border around the center indicating where it opens. The base is surrounded by outwards-pointing stands. The object appears to be made of an unearthly purple metal, with inlays of black niello scrawling across it. The description states: "A ritual artifact belonging to a far-away region. It represents a n oft-maligned yet heroic legendary who'se existence has been defined as being restrained to the shadows of history; always playing second fiddle to the machinations of more powerful beings. Despite this, the legendary sought its goal to find meaning in the deepest of darknesses with unyielding bravery and shrewdness, often aided by unlikely allies and opposed by enemies whom once admired. People from the region this originates from took it with them when they emigrated to Sinnoh and surrounding regions during the civil unrest in this region, likely to avoid it from being destroyed as some view this legendary as evil."

The void casket is a rounded square (close to oval) box made of Ivory that is clearly antique, possibly of a mammoth fossil pokemon. It's lock is made of a creamy-white heavenly metal. It is covered in carved arabesques. The description states: "A ritual object belonging to a far-away region. It represents an oft-malinged yet heroic legendary who'se existence is defined by both love and hate as it rode the winds of conquest; at once feared and reviled on a moral level yet trusted and admired on a practical one. Despite this, the legendary sought its goal to find corruption in even the most radiant light with unyielding bravery and conviction, often aided by unlikely allies and opposed by enemies whom once admired. People from a seperate region to the one this legendary exists in once brought this pyxis on a diplomatic mission that crashed somewhere in southern Hoenn, and likely brought this from its home as some form of war booty."

I think the earliest we could see Gen 9 is 2023. With 2020 looking to have no main series release with the DLC packs, Sinnoh remakes in 2021, and either another break year or another Let's Go game (which doesn't seem too in the realm of possibility right now at least). This would give Gen 8 about 4 years, and at least one break year. While certainly still not the greatest, that is a massive improvement over Gen 7 that only had 3 years before gen 8 with no break years. This kind of time could really help them work to refine how they develop for the Switch and I can easily see us seeing some decent improvements to how the games look with that.

As for the other stuff, it's super hard to say, but it's fun to dream. Last year during leak season (before SwSh's announcement) I decided to throw my own idea into the mix with an India-based region, and I have to say I still really like the idea.

This does frankly seem more likely. Even if TPCI doesn't rush things.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom