• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Speculation Gen 9 Predictions (Development predictions, New Regions, Version names)

Puddle

Reaction score
Pronouns
he/him
Unless they put a lot of trainers in the wild area (Galars have none) i can't see them getting rid of normal routes.

Yeah they'd have to add trainers to the wild area, but I think it would work. In a lot of ways, Sword and Shield feel as if they could be a transition between old and new styles of gameplay - similar to Gen 6, which included some traditional elements that were later scrapped in Gen 7 (like the grid-based overworld, chibi characters, HMs, and the Pokemon standing on platforms during battle).

swiftgallade46

Now with Mega Evolution
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Welp, the likelihood of gen 9 late 2022 has skyrocketed from possible to highly likely.
I don’t see how the release dates really indicate this at all.
Unless they put a lot of trainers in the wild area (Galars have none) i can't see them getting rid of normal routes.
At the risk of sounding pedantic I’m gonna point out that there is one trainer in the Wild Area which is significant because it at least means there is precedent for it.

nickdt

Reaction score
I would like to see "Wild Area" Trainers who aren't static. Give them small movement cycles of their own - it should feel as though you're not the only one walking around and using the open space.

Yeah and put some of them in the grass, to emulate them trying to catch a Pokemon.

PinkIceFox

PinkIceTales!
Reaction score
Pronouns
she/her
Man I just hope future wild area and routes with overworld pokemon will let the pokemon interact with the world around them. Like you could sneak up on a deerling or something drinking from a river or chasing a pachirisu up a tree and then shaking the tree to initiate the battle with it. Or pokemon chasing each other. Pokemon you have to work to get would be interesting. Like one of the canonically fast pokemon being difficult to initiate battle with unless you manage to corner it or you're on a bike or a fast riding pokemon.

Plus still having routes is not a bad thing in my eyes! We can have both. There are times where linear paths from one location to another make sense. Routes to me or less like just roads between locations and more like big, wild areas that have had a section of it developed somewhat for easy travel between locations. If that makes sense? I'm not good at describing things.

Sheep40

Reaction score
]
Man I just hope future wild area and routes with overworld pokemon will let the pokemon interact with the world around them. Like you could sneak up on a deerling or something drinking from a river or chasing a pachirisu up a tree and then shaking the tree to initiate the battle with it. Or pokemon chasing each other. Pokemon you have to work to get would be interesting. Like one of the canonically fast pokemon being difficult to initiate battle with unless you manage to corner it or you're on a bike or a fast riding pokemon.

Plus still having routes is not a bad thing in my eyes! We can have both. There are times where linear paths from one location to another make sense. Routes to me or less like just roads between locations and more like big, wild areas that have had a section of it developed somewhat for easy travel between locations. If that makes sense? I'm not good at describing things.

I always thought this would happen as the ultimate replacement for HMs. My prediction calls them trainer tools. Some ideas I have involve a large yataghan-style knife for cutting down objects or as a ritual item, a valaska axe for hooking objects from afar or breaking down objects, a large cape that can be used to glide, claws that can be used to climb or to push heavy objects around, a flare gun that can be used to fire illuminating flares either at objects or at the sky, a small harpoon attached to a length of rope than can be used as a grappling hook, platforming stand, or escape rope, and finally a wetsuit for swimming, diving, and ascending or descending waterfalls.

Cute Charm

Game Footage Not Final
Reaction score
Personally, I feel like Gen 9 will be holiday 2023. But the first rumblings like a teaser trailer will probably be mid to late next year. It's probably going to be the same as like LGPE and SWSH where the new generation was released a year after the last Gen 7 title.

My guess is the only reason that BDSP releases the end of this year because they wanted a bit of space for them to gain a little bit of sales before Legends happens.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
Personally, I feel like Gen 9 will be holiday 2023. But the first rumblings like a teaser trailer will probably be mid to late next year. It's probably going to be the same as like LGPE and SWSH where the new generation was released a year after the last Gen 7 title.

My guess is the only reason that BDSP releases the end of this year because they wanted a bit of space for them to gain a little bit of sales before Legends happens.
I think that holiday 2023 is the most likely release window for the Gen 9 games.

nickdt

Reaction score
I think that holiday 2023 is the most likely release window for the Gen 9 games.

Currently, the anime is rushing like crazy. It cannot support anything after 2022 if they keep this up.

JFrombaugh

Reaction score
My updated predictions for now:

-Q1 2023 release
-Region is based on Italy
-Starter final evolution typings are Grass/Dark, Fire/Fairy, Water/Fighting
-Trials return instead of Gyms, but instead of battling a Totem Pokemon at the end you battle the Trial Captain
-After completing all 8 Trials, you enter a tournament to determine the Champion which takes place in a Stadium based on the Roman Colosseum
-No BW remakes, but a second Legends series game will be released in 2024 set in the Gen 9 region in the past (based on ancient Rome). Starters are Grookey, Litten, and Piplup.

Last edited:

nickdt

Reaction score
Announcing Gen 9 next February will kill all hype for Legends Arceus just one month after it comes out. I don't see it happening unless the game is outsourced like BDSP or Game Freak made some compromises.

Just like announcing Legends killing all hype for BDSP... oh wait... it happened... but they still did it.

Problem will not be that it will kill hype for Legends because it already released and because the gap between Legends and Gen 9 will be 11 months.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
Just like announcing Legends killing all hype for BDSP... oh wait... it happened... but they still did it.

Problem will not be that it will kill hype for Legends because it already released and because the gap between Legends and Gen 9 will be 11 months.
It's simply not gonna happen. If we're getting another main series game next year it's gonna be a much simpler game.

swiftgallade46

Now with Mega Evolution
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him/His

Again, BDSP and Legends are an anomaly, not the new norm. There is probably a good reason they are releasing them this way that we are not aware of (yet).

Being released does not suddenly eliminate the need for hype. Realistically, a game’s sales are going to begin decreasing the minute a new version is announced. As a company, they need to keep a game on an upward sales trajectory for long enough that it meets their sales projection which are bound to be high for a mainline Pokémon game.

The 11 month gap doesn’t mean much when the gap between the release of LA and the marketing cycle of a late 2022 Gen 9 would be much smaller.

Cute Charm

Game Footage Not Final
Reaction score
Currently, the anime is rushing like crazy. It cannot support anything after 2022 if they keep this up.
Yet, at the same time it doesn't take place specifically in Galar and jumps around a lot. If this was the standard "Ash travels through Galar with Milo, his brother, and Gloria" then yeah, it wouldn't work. But at this rate, they can easily insert a bunch of filler until Gen 9 comes out and then just have them travel to that region.

The way the new series is set up can easily make it run indefinitely without having new games come out. I mean they'll probably, when BDSP are released, go back to Sinnoh for the tie in.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
Yet, at the same time it doesn't take place specifically in Galar and jumps around a lot. If this was the standard "Ash travels through Galar with Milo, his brother, and Gloria" then yeah, it wouldn't work. But at this rate, they can easily insert a bunch of filler until Gen 9 comes out and then just have them travel to that region.

The way the new series is set up can easily make it run indefinitely without having new games come out. I mean they'll probably, when BDSP are released, go back to Sinnoh for the tie in.
That is correct. As Journeys is not tied down to any particular region, they can have the series go on until the franchise ends if they wanted to.

Bolt Strike

Bringing the Thunder
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
Again, BDSP and Legends are an anomaly, not the new norm. There is probably a good reason they are releasing them this way that we are not aware of (yet).

Being released does not suddenly eliminate the need for hype. Realistically, a game’s sales are going to begin decreasing the minute a new version is announced. As a company, they need to keep a game on an upward sales trajectory for long enough that it meets their sales projection which are bound to be high for a mainline Pokémon game.

The 11 month gap doesn’t mean much when the gap between the release of LA and the marketing cycle of a late 2022 Gen 9 would be much smaller.

Well we don't know that it's an anomaly yet, but I do think the reason why these games were announced side by side is specific to these two games. And I think that reason is because they're both two very different takes on a Sinnoh remake meant to satisfy differing demands for another Sinnoh game. BDSP is a faithful remake with minimal changes, likely meant to sell to purists that want the game to feel similar to how the originals on the DS did. LA meanwhile, seems more like a reimagining of Sinnoh, one that feels like it's built from the ground up on a modern console like the Switch (ironically with the setting taking place in the past, but the gameplay and the graphics and the world design look much closer to a 2022 console game than the originals or BDSP). I think they were announced this way to market them as two sides of the Sinnoh remake coin, if they had one or the other announced first one part of the fandom would be upset (and in the minute or so in between the two announcements, some of the fans that wanted to see newer improvements were upset but the subsequent announcement of LA quickly put an end to any potential outrage). But as is, they can market the games as two different styles of Sinnoh remake and let the player choose one or both that's right for them.

Needless to say, I don't think this will be the case with the game after LA. The next game is probably not as heavily connected as BDSP and LA are, so it'll probably have its own marketing cycle after BDSP and LA have came and went.

Top Bottom