• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Gen 9 Predictions (Development predictions, New Regions, Version names)

What content would be in a DLC for BDSP? Mythical Pokemon? It's not a game well-suited to DLC. Arceus is the more likely option.

Mythicals, a proper Platinum episode, stuff like that. Probably a smaller chance of that happening though, I agree that LA is more likely to get DLC.

Still too early for Gen 9 when Legends Arceus just released a month ago. The game needs time to breathe, if they announce Gen 9 just after we got it then it'll cannibalize LA's sales. More likely announcement is DLC for later in the year, and barring that, a smaller project like LG Johto or something. Whatever the case, it's not going to be smart for them to release or even announce the Gen 9 games this year (short of maybe a vague teaser like they did in 2017 and 2018). It's going to overshadow everything and kill sales of anything else they have right now. I don't expect a full announcement of Gen 9 until Pokemon Day 2023.
It wouldn't be out until the end of the year anyway? It's not like we'd be able to play Gen 9 the minute it's announced. We'd have nearly a full year to enjoy Legends Arceus while we wait, that's plenty of time.

Even better if there's cross-promotion.

What content would be in a DLC for BDSP? Mythical Pokemon? It's not a game well-suited to DLC. Arceus is the more likely option.

I sincerely hope that there is no DLC for BDSP, but one or more DLCs for Pokémon Legends Arceus. Because, if my disposition towards BDSP was already disheartening before Legends, now it's even lower.

Iron Island DLC and a Battle Zone DLC for Legends would probably both be pretty solid concepts.

You nailed it, when I finished the Legends story, I haven't completed the Pokédex yet, what I missed most was the lack of battle facilities or battle tournaments so I could test and improve myself in the new battle system.

You nailed it, when I finished the Legends story, I haven't completed the Pokédex yet, what I missed most was the lack of battle facilities or battle tournaments so I could test and improve myself in the new battle system.
You could also have a DLC exploring the formation of the Pokemon League.

It wouldn't be out until the end of the year anyway? It's not like we'd be able to play Gen 9 the minute it's announced. We'd have nearly a full year to enjoy Legends Arceus while we wait, that's plenty of time.

Even better if there's cross-promotion.

Still doesn't matter, because you'd be discouraging people from buying LA now if they know Gen 9 is coming at the end of the year. They don't want people to drop a new game the month after it releases, giving it several months in the spotlight helps convince people that haven't quite jumped on board to get it and grow sales. Also LA didn't get the opportunity of having a holiday season to drive sales because of its weird release timing, so releasing DLC to bundle with it for Holiday 2022 and then transitioning to Gen 9 in Holiday 2023 would maximize the sales they could get for both.

Additionally, with Game Freak's issues if they were releasing a big game 9 months or so after another big game, do you really think it would turn out good? They're having enough problems with their release schedule without having two big games in such a short period of time. There is no rush for them to release Gen 9 this year.

Gen 9 is still too early for this year. Plus, if Gen 9 does release this year, then it means that too little, if any of the improvements from Legends Arceus would actually make it into Gen 9. It's better for Gen 9 to have another year of development so game-improving elements from Legends Arceus can actually make their way into the Gen 9 games.

Still doesn't matter, because you'd be discouraging people from buying LA now if they know Gen 9 is coming at the end of the year. They don't want people to drop a new game the month after it releases, giving it several months in the spotlight helps convince people that haven't quite jumped on board to get it and grow sales. Also LA didn't get the opportunity of having a holiday season to drive sales because of its weird release timing, so releasing DLC to bundle with it for Holiday 2022 and then transitioning to Gen 9 in Holiday 2023 would maximize the sales they could get for both.

Additionally, with Game Freak's issues if they were releasing a big game 9 months or so after another big game, do you really think it would turn out good? They're having enough problems with their release schedule without having two big games in such a short period of time. There is no rush for them to release Gen 9 this year.
Do people really go "Oh another game is coming out in 10-11 months, I better not buy this one now and wait almost a year for the next game to release?" Might as well do that indefinitely, there'll always be another one released in a year.

And yes, as good as Game Freak can get, because they work on two projects at the same time so there wouldn't really be any difference. Now that Legends is released, they're probably starting development on another game, not pooling all of their staff onto Gen 9 for two years. This argument is like going into a second race worrying that your horse won't run as well because you already raced a horse earlier that day, ignoring the fact that in the first race you used a totally different horse.

Do people really go "Oh another game is coming out in 10-11 months, I better not buy this one now and wait almost a year for the next game to release?" Might as well do that indefinitely, there'll always be another one released in a year.

They might. If they have a limited budget they may have to choose between LA and Gen 9. If they start marketing one while the other is still selling, people will be more hesitant to double dip because they might not have the money to do so.

And yes, as good as Game Freak can get, because they work on two projects at the same time so there wouldn't really be any difference. Now that Legends is released, they're probably starting development on another game, not pooling all of their staff onto Gen 9 for two years. This argument is like going into a second race worrying that your horse won't run as well because you already raced a horse earlier that day, ignoring the fact that in the first race you used a totally different horse.

Not recently. They've been needing use most or all of their staff for bigger projects like SwSh and LA now, they don't currently have the resources to work on two of them at once. A bigger project and a smaller project maybe (for example, LGPE and SwSh, but you could even question if that was too much), but not a smaller project. Highly doubtful they were ever doing serious work on both of those games at once, at best they might have conceptualized LA while SwSh was wrapping up.

Currently waiting for them to run out of pokemon ideas, and start claiming fakemons. Dunseraph deserves a place.
Considering how Pokémon are inspired from anything, I doubt this will happen in this century. Also, they don't need to run out of ideas to make a Dunsparce evo.

I wonder how that would shake up legally. Nintendo could find a way to make it work, I guess, ww
Not really. It could be a legal nightmare.

Currently waiting for them to run out of pokemon ideas, and start claiming fakemons. Dunseraph deserves a place.
I wonder how that would shake up legally. Nintendo could find a way to make it work, I guess, ww

Ideas are infinite, and they can't really look at anyone's fakemon anyway.

(took forever to find this again)

No, but a lot of kids had to choose between BDSP and PLA. If we get a new generation this year, good luck getting those kids' parents to by all three games. Let's not pretend that the small gap between BDSP and PLA is the norm.

Now that Legends is released, they're probably starting development on another game, not pooling all of their staff onto Gen 9 for two years. This argument is like going into a second race worrying that your horse won't run as well because you already raced a horse earlier that day, ignoring the fact that in the first race you used a totally different horse.
Do you think that the LGPE staff moved onto Legends in late 2018? That would only work if the game was developed for longer than SwSh were (two years). Lo and behold, there's actually a big overlap between the LGPE staff and SwSh staff, so it isn't that simple.

The comparison between the games developed during two the past generations is pretty straightforward:

USUM | SwSh DLC
LGPE | Legends
SwSh | Generation IX

I think most of us can agree that the DLC required more resources than USUM did, and certainly so did Legends compared to LGPE. So why wouldn't that have an effect on the release date of the next project? Why wouldn't Game Freak need more time to make the games look better than not only SwSh, but also Legends? To add new ideas that aren't just gimmicks or minor improvements?

No, but a lot of kids had to choose between BDSP and PLA. If we get a new generation this year, good luck getting those kids' parents to by all three games. Let's not pretend that the small gap between BDSP and PLA is the norm.
Yeah, this is why we aren't getting Gen IX this year. Pokemon is a franchise aimed at children, and children rely on their parents to get games for the most part. 3 games released in such a short period? That's $180 just in one year for Pokemon games. Some kids may only get one or two games a year, depending on their parents' budgets. GF/Nintendo won't release another Pokemon game this year because at a certain point they will inevitably cannibalize each other's sales and reduce overall profit.

I don't know why you guys are making the gap between Legends' release and November sound shorter than it is. Same year does not mean short gap when it's opposite ends of the year. It is very nearly a whole year apart, like most of pokemon's releases, so a Gen 9 release this year is feasible, and at far less concern for cannibalising than Legends to BDSP.

I don't know why you guys are making the gap between Legends' release and November sound shorter than it is. Same year does not mean short gap when it's opposite ends of the year. It is very nearly a whole year apart, like most of pokemon's releases, so a Gen 9 release this year is feasible, and at far less concern for cannibalising than Legends to BDSP.
The problem with releasing Gen 9 this year is the feasibility of whether the momentum of Legends continues to sell at the rate it's doing right now. If Legends continue selling like it is right now, then there's no reason to release a new Pokemon game to cut off the momentum when it doesn't slow down at a significant level. There are also talks about DLC for Legends, which further cements the idea that Gen 9 might not even be mentioned this year at all.

The problem with releasing Gen 9 this year is the feasibility of whether the momentum of Legends continues to sell at the rate it's doing right now. If Legends continue selling like it is right now, then there's no reason to release a new Pokemon game to cut off the momentum when it doesn't slow down at a significant level. There are also talks about DLC for Legends, which further cements the idea that Gen 9 might not even be mentioned this year at all.
There's nothing concrete about those DLC talks, though. If DLC comes out, then yes, I would expect Gen 9 to be next year. If there isn't, though, then Gen 9 this year is feasible.

Legends may not get the holiday sales this year if Gen 9 is announced but it would get a year's worth of birthdays that I'm sure most parents aren't going to be telling their kids "I'm sorry sweetie, you'll have to pick one and maybe wait until Christmas."

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom