• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Gen 9 Predictions (Development predictions, New Regions, Version names)

Imma need the new region to be based off of Egypt since Gamefreak seems to base recent regions on popular tourist destinations. Also I hope that there's no new regional variants or form change gimmick although I'll probably end up disappointed when the latter inevitably happens because Gamefreak can't think of anything else to do but rip off Digimon.

that there's no new regional variants or form change gimmick although I'll probably end up disappointed when the latter inevitably happens because Gamefreak can't think of anything else to do but rip off Digimon.
No new power ups I can understand, but why not regional variants?

I also don’t think Digimon has something equivalent of Dynamax

Imma need the new region to be based off of Egypt since Gamefreak seems to base recent regions on popular tourist destinations. Also I hope that there's no new regional variants or form change gimmick although I'll probably end up disappointed when the latter inevitably happens because Gamefreak can't think of anything else to do but rip off Digimon.

Ragusa/Dubrovnik is a pretty big one. It's in Croatia, the adriatic coast, and was SFR Yugoslavia's main port.

The gimmick I have planned only reuses previous form changes. It's much more modular than Dynamaxing or the other form changes (It's primary shtic is item enhancement)

Hope they maybe make use of what we alredy got and create a simple gimmick using visible seals on the body, like cursed and sacred seals that a pokemon gains one of two new abilities that grand healing or power of destructuion and immunites to some moves or maybe transformation items that work 3 turns. Combinig or fusing 2 pokemon only if the amount of new and old pairs of pokemon is chosen and starters get something else to avoid contradictions... and allow to use the mechanic in doubles, triples but in regular single battles too.

I hope they focus on new abilities, moves and how to buff old ones to interact with them more.
Also hope waterproof, heatproof, dazzling get a buff to work better.

Better new abilities Interacting with grass type and Exclusive to grass type.
Water an fire got a lot more if you look clearly at all they got.

Starters with more uniqe abilities, not focused on highest one stats.
Starters with dualtyping. Some immunities or moves that gran something.

Taking starters, Decidueye got a really cool ability as for a grass/ghost type with Long Reach.

more Multistrike, sound, draning, switching moves and abilities.

Unique shedinja, ditto and zoroark like pokemon that will change game play....

Maybe a pseudolegendary two stage dragon/psychic cameloen with Illusion ability as counterpart to Zoroark?

alwas wanted a invisibility ability for a pokemon or some more.(sound moves, all-target hitting move and weather hail and sandstorm, entry hazards would deactivate it)

Moves and abilities like Rottoteiler, Sparkling Aria, Flower Veil to get a buff in single battle game play that they mean something for the user and not only the partner pokemon...

Dragon Darts hitting semi invulnerable move users like fly,bounce, sky drop and dive.

Like Pollen Puff if its used against a pokemon that uses Mirror Coat then it should hel the user after wards... or heal by usage user if the move misses a target in single battles against one oponent to make it interesting.

Pokemon with more uniqe abilieties...

am thinking now about matrioshka doll, hydra and cat with 9 lives.

use matrioshka layers(3hp, rock/ghost, restores layer per turn in sandstorm) ,

hydra (with 5hp points, would make it bug/dragon with restoring one head per turn on grassy terrain)

and 9 lives cat (9hp, cat ghost/psyhic) as "substitutes", that 1hp is one hit from a move
(we have beat up with 6 dark type strikes against it)

the Eiscue motive with the Ice face in hail is cool against physical and could be overthinked in this matter too. I feel that this kind of option could be interesting and would allow to create more niches and uniqe pokemon in future.

this would make multistrike moves, sound moves(that break substitutes) and moves that hits all opposing Pokémon
(would hit all substitutes that the target uses) more important in game occasionally entry hazards would still work normally.

a fire/ground pokemon with glass body ability that looks like moving glass(good speed, def and sp.def),
would take neutral damage from water moves but 4x from sound moves.

Last edited:
It's actually four seals attached to an accessory worn by the trainer. Performing well in battle charges it, then allowing the player to utilize it once it's full. The seals share a charge. Then, the player may choose to use an item enhanced with a certain seal without using up a turn. These are:

Double-up: applied by using any item. Pokemon can act twice.

Level-upper: applied with healing items. Pokemon may transform (previous mega evolution forms may be used, some have all new forms). Enhanced stats, potentially changed typings, increased level (can go beyond cap). Lasts for a limited time (lower-tier healing items like regular potions, lemonade, etc. cause it to last longer).

Heel-smile: applied with temporary enhancement items (x-series). Lasts for one turn. Affected pokemon cannot take supereffective damage or critical hits for the duration. Guarantees critical hit, and applies permanent mold breaker for duration.

Follow-through: applied with PP restore items. For a limited time, moves either gain more bonus effects (elixir), or become much more powerful versions of themselves (ether). Again, lower-percentage items make it last longer.

I call this system "training arts". Though, to be honest, it would go better in a description of the gameplay mechanics. I may repost this in that thread.

names?
-Pokemon Sound and Silence
-Pokemon Sacred and Cursed
-Pokemon Circle and Pokemon
- Pokemon Time and Zone
-Pokemon Piramid and Pokemon Temple
-Pokemon Sand and Dune (a sand and desert oriented region)
-Pokemon Order and Chaos

Hope Bonsly and Sudowoodo get Mimicry ability instead of Rattled in future to make it more interesting with that and Mimic

Last edited:
I definitely hope they make Gen 9 completely open world.

And they have to bring back Pokemon following the avatar (only Yellow, SoulSilver and Let's Go have this)! I don't get what is so hard about doing this, even if it is just a selection of Pokemon that can follow you is far better than none.

Only if the cities aren’t glorified hallways, clearly it impacted things. Glimwood tangle was supposed to be this sprawling forest, but ended up being a ten second walkway to the gym. Things like Eterna forest were beasts compared to this.

I agree. An open world game needs to be done right but if that happens, it is fantastic.

Some early predictions I have for Gen 9 (admittedly, also kind of my own personal wishlist):

-Region is based on Ontario, Canada
-Starters are a forest sprite (Grass/Fairy), ox that looks like a hot rod motorcycle (Fire), and a bipedal fighting fish based on a shaolin monk (Water/Fighting)
-Trials return instead of Gyms, and they use a different kind of gimmick to the Trials from SM
-Villain team has a hippie motif & uses mostly Fairy-type Pokémon
-The Champion is another female, and she is also the main villain in a surprise plot twist. She is sort of like a cross between N & Lysandre - her main concern is about the rapid pace of technology & how much damage humans are doing to the environments of Pokemon.
-One of the DLC packs will be a return to Unova. A huge waterfall based on Niagara Falls marks the official border between the two regions, just like Ontario & NY state IRL.

I would personally like to finally have a region based on Mexico, where I'm from. A lot more so if they focus on prehispanic cultures and mythos contrasting with modern cities such as Mexico City or Guadalajara. No need for more stereotypes akin to Speedy Gonzalez (I'm looking at you, Ludicolo, wink wink). Mexican culture is very rich and plentiful to base Pokemon on.

If not Mexico, another Latin American country perhaps. Maybe Peru alongside the Incan mythos.

Last edited:
I would personally like to finally have a region based on Mexico, where I'm from. A lot more so if they focus on prehispanic cultures and mythos contrasting with modern cities such as Mexico City or Guadalajara. No need for more stereotypes akin to Speedy Gonzalez (I'm looking at you, Ludicolo, wink wink). Mexican culture is very rich and plentiful to base Pokemon on.

If not Mexico, another Latin American country perhaps. Maybe Peru alongside the Incan mythos.
I've wanted a region based on my country, specially because I feel it will do a better job representing the country than Jurassic Park did (to put into perspective, they only got the name of the capital right). Heck, we even have seven provinces and Isla del Coco, so we already have the base for the eight gyms.

I've wanted a region based on my country, specially because I feel it will do a better job representing the country than Jurassic Park did (to put into perspective, they only got the name of the capital right). Heck, we even have seven provinces and Isla del Coco, so we already have the base for the eight gyms.

Sounds promising. You are talking about Costa Rica, I imagine. It would be awesome too, with a focus on the more dino-like Pokemon (as a wink to Jurassic Park). :)

Maybe. Just... don't make the same errors they made there. That movie, while good, ended up being snark bait due to how bad they did that.
Of course not., I just mean to incorporate some of that in a sensible, even funny way. Believe me when I say I know how it feels when mainstream media ignorantly sells your culture for cheap with dumb, even insulting stereotypes. Again, Speedy Gonzalez... I really dislike that character. It makes us Mexicans look like poor, drunk, sombrero-wearing, brainless dudes living in some random desert. A far cry from reality. Heck, while Mexican, I'm Caucasian, so I don't even fit the assumption of being dark-skinned. And I'm the first to admit I know very little of the Costa Rican culture so... I apologize for assuming too much.

And I don't even own a sombrero or a poncho... ;)

Last edited:
Of course not., I just mean to incorporate some of that in a sensible, even funny way. Believe me when I say I know how it feels when mainstream media ignorantly sells your culture for cheap with dumb, even insulting stereotypes. Again, Speedy Gonzalez... I really dislike that character. It makes us Mexicans look like poor, drunk, sombrero-wearing, brainless dudes living in some random desert. A far cry from reality. Heck, while Mexican, I'm Caucasian, so I don't even fit the assumption of being dark-skinned. And I'm the first to admit I know very little of the Costa Rican culture so... I apologize for assuming too much.

And I don't even own a sombrero or a poncho... ;)
Don't worry. And I'm caucasian too. Also, at least it's not CSI Miami bad. On sensible things they could do here, I have some ideas for returning Pokémon and what they could do here to make it more variet environtment-wise, but no new Pokémon.

Don't worry. And I'm caucasian too. Also, at least it's not CSI Miami bad. On sensible things they could do here, I have some ideas for returning Pokémon and what they could do here to make it more variet environtment-wise, but no new Pokémon.

Nothing even approaches CSI Miami bad! That show is a league of its own XD

I happen to think regional variants and evolutions are brilliant, and some became part of my top 10 Pokemon, such as Alolan Ninetales. But I agree, they should keep "extreme" phenomenon like Megas and Dynamaxing locked in their respective regions. And maybe come up with a new mechanic (and, please Arceus, they shouldn't keep giving Charizard special treatment, enough already!).

My predictions about the next region is that it will be based on China.

Idk about that. What with the Wuhan virus and the controversy and eventual fallout from that, I highly doubt that Gamefreak would be eager to base a region on a country that will be the butt of every joke for a few years at least.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom