• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Gen 9 Predictions (Development predictions, New Regions, Version names)

Should Gen 9 Region be based on Russia and Other Post-Soviet Countries

Well, the only europe-based regions have been western; there's fertile ground for many generations going forward in eastern europe. Also, russia may need to be split up into multiple regions.

My own prediction involves the yugosphere, and my reason for believing so is because of japan's economic ties to the region.

So yes, I believe a region based off of an eastern european country is in order at some point.

I'm the overly-logical type. Because China has more people than any other country in the world, I will continue to hope and predict that the next pair of games will take place in a China-inspired reason. Once China is covered, India will come next...

As for names, I'll just throw this out because it sounds cool: Infrared and Ultraviolet!
I myself personally believe that the next region will be based on China.

I think Next Gen could be either Eastern Europe like Russia or Something Asia Southeastern like Vietnam Thailand Cambodia
if we Eastern Europe like Russia and Former USSR Countries than we could have a lot more pokemon a lot ice types possible new types
Asia Southeastern than lot of islands and water and grass types

I think Next Gen could be either Eastern Europe like Russia or Something Asia Southeastern like Vietnam Thailand Cambodia
if we Eastern Europe like Russia and Former USSR Countries than we could have a lot more pokemon a lot ice types possible new types
Asia Southeastern than lot of islands and water and grass types
I'm expecting a Chinese region next.

It's going to be India. Think about it. We have the Copperajah line, which is said to come from a foreign land, and is the signature Pokemon of Chairman Rose, who looks vaguely Indian in ethnicity.

Isn't it a little early for gen nine speculation? Gen 8 is barely a year old.

A Chinese region seems unlikely for political reasons, unfortunately.

They would need to move on to Gen 9 sometime in the near future because of well, money, and the possibility of Nintendo putting out the Switch's successor before then.
Where did it say that there has to be two Pokemon generations in one Nintendo system generation? Honestly, by delaying Gen 9, Game Freak would already get to know the Switch's successor far earlier, thus giving them more time to get used to the new development kit in order to develop a first Pokemon generation on a new Nintendo system. The Game Boy line of Pokemon games (GB to GBA) only had one generation each and they performed really well in their time, even Ruby and Sapphire despite them selling less than Gold and Silver.

I thought I'd quote these two posts from the Crown Tundra leaks thread and continue the conversation here, because it's an interesting topic.

I really hope the Switch doesn't get a successor anytime soon. It feels as if Pokemon is only just getting started on this console, and there's still so much potential. I would be very annoyed, to say the least, if the only mainline games released on the Switch were Let's Go and SwSh. Ideally I'd like to see Gen 9 released on the Switch, but I'd be happy with a remake.

I've just been looking at the lifespans of Nintendo's recent consoles. The DS lasted 7 years, the 3DS 6 years, the Wii 6 years, and the WiiU 5 years. I think it's probably safe to say that there won't be a new console until 2022 at the earliest. Game Freak are notoriously slow at moving to new consoles, as well - Gen 4, Gen 6 and Gen 8 all began two years after their respective consoles launched. Gen 5 and Gen 7 both began just one year before the next console launched; maybe Gen 9 will follow suit.

Last edited:
I know this is silly and doesn't mean anything; but I started watching G Gundam recently and the five main countries are Japan, France, US (New York, Specifically), China and Russia. I think it is kind of funny that we have pokemon regions based on three of those and Russia and China are popular speculations for future regions. Also, watching the first episode with Rose Gundam was weird because that version of France really did look like Kalos.

I thought I'd quote these two posts from the Crown Tundra leaks thread and continue the conversation here, because it's an interesting topic.

I really hope the Switch doesn't get a successor anytime soon. It feels as if Pokemon is only just getting started on this console, and there's still so much potential. I would be very annoyed, to say the least, if the only mainline games released on the Switch were Let's Go and SwSh. Ideally I'd like to see Gen 9 released on the Switch, but I'd be happy with a remake.

I've just been looking at the lifespans of Nintendo's recent consoles. The DS lasted 7 years, the 3DS 6 years, the Wii 6 years, and the WiiU 5 years. I think it's probably safe to say that there won't be a new console until 2022 at the earliest. Game Freak are notoriously slow at moving to new consoles, as well - Gen 4, Gen 6 and Gen 8 all began two years after their respective consoles launched. Gen 5 and Gen 7 both began just one year before the next console launched; maybe Gen 9 will follow suit.

Late console gens usually annoy me because they tend to delay the jump towards stronger and more impressive hardware, but in this case since Pokemon hasn't even scratched the surface of the Switch's potential, I'd actually welcome 9th gen being on the Switch. Considering how the series has evolved on each game on the Switch, 9th gen should be much closer to the full fledged open world adventure a lot of us have been wanting to see out of Pokemon. Plus the jump to the Switch's successor isn't going to matter all that much if they can't take full advantage of what the Switch has to offer.

Considering Dexit... I don't think they would add much more.

Much more, maybe not. But there should definitely have been at least like, 100 more Pokemon in the game than there were.

Nintendo has already said that the Switch can have a longer lifespan than their other consoles. And as for hardware, they could give it the New 3DS/PS 4 Pro/XBox One X treatment and release a mid generation spec bump while still having games be compatible with the older switch.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom