• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Gen 9 Predictions (Development predictions, New Regions, Version names)

I just hope that if they do have a free camera that they, y'know actually let me look up and down more than a tiny bit. Sweet Helix do I hate the fact I can't look straight up. What, are they scared someone's gonna try to look into the black void that is inevitably under any skirt in the game? Oh no! A black void!! Or maybe someone might try to see all of gardevoirs stick legs under her dress flesh? Not like her dress isn't open in the front anyway. And what's the deal with tilting the camera only a little to look down. Like I get you don't want us to end up over our character's head but yeesh.

I'd kind of like to be able to see Calyrex's tree from more than the edges of the map. Or look down cliffsides when I'm next to em.

I'd very much like to be able to look up the mountain to see active dens, yeah.

I'm sure there's a way to hack the game so we can peer into that void once more (oh how mysterious it was back in the 2D era!).

wait is there any region with a Jungle like similar the Amazon
India has a lot of jungles. And I have a feeling India could be the next region since Copperajah is quite obviously from a region that’s India inspired. Yungoos could be from there too since Mongooses are native to India.

India has a lot of jungles. And I have a feeling India could be the next region since Copperajah is quite obviously from a region that’s India inspired. Yungoos could be from there too since Mongooses are native to India.
Yeah I was thinking India could be the next one as well. It has a distinct culture, has various iconic monuments and biomes to make the region pretty interesting. I can imagine there'd be a nice mix of modern cities, rural landscape (for a future wild area even) and historic temples/forts that could potentially house legendaries or something.

Yeah I was thinking India could be the next one as well. It has a distinct culture, has various iconic monuments and biomes to make the region pretty interesting. I can imagine there'd be a nice mix of modern cities, rural landscape (for a future wild area even) and historic temples/forts that could potentially house legendaries or something.
Not to mention it’s wildlife and mythical creatures could make for some interesting Pokémon, including legendaries and regional variants. Also fun fact: India is the only place in the world where lions and tigers co exist.

Not to mention it’s wildlife and mythical creatures could make for some interesting Pokémon, including legendaries and regional variants. Also fun fact: India is the only place in the world where lions and tigers co exist.
It could even have ties with Galar since Great Britain and India have some history together.

Something I've noticed the past few generations is that the starters from gen 5 onwards all follow a specific pattern of two mammals and one non-mammal:
  • Gen 5: Emboar/Samurott and Serperior
  • Gen 6: Chesnaught/Delphox and Greninja
  • Gen 7: Incineroar/Primarina and Decideye
  • Gen 8: Rillaboom/Cinderace and Inteleon
While I know that this pattern could just be a coincidence, it does make me think that there is a possibilty that the starters for gen 9 might follow the same formula considering it's been consistent for the past four generations. It is at least more concrete than the tough/cool/cute trio pattern since what constitutes a mammal isn't subjective.
And I have a feeling India could be the next region since Copperajah is quite obviously from a region that’s India inspired.
Eh, I don't think the fact that Copperajah is from an India inspired region is an indicator that the next region will be based upon India. We didn't see a China-inspired region after Emboar, Hawlucha didn't predict a region based on Latin America, etc. Considering the UK's colonial past and ties to India, I'm fairly certain that Copperajah was just a reference to that, and not a wider hint at what's to come.

wait is there any region with a Jungle like similar the Amazon
India has a lot of jungles. [...]

Going to do like I do and make off on a tangent here.

From WP: "If the leaf canopy is destroyed or thinned, the ground beneath is soon colonized by a dense, tangled growth of vines, shrubs and small trees, called a jungle. The term jungle is also sometimes applied to tropical rainforests generally."

I know jungles have been talked about before (we love quoting this prompt!), and rainforests are great, since they have such incredible density in biodiversity. (also mentioned before, i think?) Really neat stuff.

"Estimates vary from 40% to 75% of all biotic species are indigenous to the rainforests.[2] There may be many millions of species of plants, insects and microorganisms still undiscovered in tropical rainforests. "

So, would love to see a great rainforest Safari Zone (bringing back much of NatDex, etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
Something I've noticed the past few generations is that the starters from gen 5 onwards all follow a specific pattern of two mammals and one non-mammal:
  • Gen 5: Emboar/Samurott and Serperior
  • Gen 6: Chesnaught/Delphox and Greninja
  • Gen 7: Incineroar/Primarina and Decideye
  • Gen 8: Rillaboom/Cinderace and Inteleon
While I know that this pattern could just be a coincidence, it does make me think that there is a possibilty that the starters for gen 9 might follow the same formula considering it's been consistent for the past four generations. It is at least more concrete than the tough/cool/cute trio pattern since what constitutes a mammal isn't subjective.
Well, I think that's some great information on the starters from the 5th gen onwards (not to mention the possibility of the 9th-gen starters following the "2 mammals, 1 non-mammal" pattern that you mentioned here).

Well, I think that's some great information on the starters from the 5th gen onwards (not to mention the possibility of the 9th-gen starters following the "2 mammals, 1 non-mammal" pattern that you mentioned here).
I think this might not be an accident, considering Gen V was also the start of themed starters.

Gen V - Countries (Serperior is France, Emboar is China and Samurott is Japan)
Gen VI - The main three RPG classes (Chesnaught is the warrior, Delphox the mage and Greninja the thief)
Gen VII - Entertainers (Decidueye is a circus archer, Incineroar a heel wrestler and Primarina a singer/idol)
Gen VIII - British things (Rillaboom represents wild drumming, Cinderace soccer and Intelleon spies)

As if the Yugosphere didn't have it's own distinct culture (or five, more accurately), which is extremely different from the rest of Europe and generally having all the same things mentioned minus biomes (it's a mountainous place with a lot of cave systems). Hell, a lot of places have those, including China, Russia, Turkey, Germany, Scandinavia, and to a lesser degree Cascadia. Why is a jungle region likely anyways?

Why is a jungle region likely anyways?
Maybe because we've gone from a relatively temperate region (Kalos), to a more tropical warm region (Alola), and back to another temperate region (Galar). So there's a chance that we might see a warmer, jungle region to fall in line with the possible pattern of cooler region --> warmer region --> cooler region.

The balkans are rather warm given that they're the southernmost part of europe. Have you ever seen Ragusa/Dubrovnik? There are palm trees as far as the eyes can see.

Both Croatia and Montenegro are popular tourist destinations due to their wonderful coastline. The landlocked countries like Serbia and Macedonia can get particularly hot and rainy as well.

The balkans are rather warm given that they're the southernmost part of europe. Have you ever seen Ragusa/Dubrovnik? There are palm trees as far as the eyes can see.

Both Croatia and Montenegro are popular tourist destinations due to their wonderful coastline. The landlocked countries like Serbia and Macedonia can get particularly hot and rainy as well.
The Balkans aren't tropical or even subtropical, and I don't think those countries are what come to mind when one thinks of a warm, tropical location a la Hawaii.

Did anyone say it had to be tropical or subtropical?

The Balkans are not admittedly first on the lists of what comes to mind when thinking of something. My theory kind of hinges less on tourism and more on Japan's economic ties to a lot of those countries.

Last edited:
Did anyone say it had to be tropical or subtropical?
Nobody said the region had to be tropical/subtropical, however, typically when people think of warm place they're probably thinking more in terms of a stereotypical tropical location than Serbia.
Parts of India are overtropical and none of China is tropical or subtropical either.
1920px-World_map_indicating_tropics_and_subtropics.png
I don't know what overtropical is and neither does my search engine, but India is squarely in the tropical/subtropical zone and, while I'm not certain what China has to do with this, parts of China are definitely subtropical as well, and it looks like some of the more southernmost parts of the country dip slightly into the tropics.
The Balkans are not admittedly first on the lists of what comes to mind when thinking of something. My theory kind of hinges less on tourism and more on Japan's economic ties to a lot of those countries.
I don't think GameFreak will base a region off of Japan's trading partners considering that the past four regions have all been popular with Japanese tourists rather than trading partners and I don't think GameFreak is going to buck that trend. Remember, the target audience of Pokémon is ultimately kids, and I figure that Japanese children will have an easier time recognizing the UK or France compared to Japan's trading partners Montenegro or Croatia, especially considering no Balkan country is individually within the top 15 trading partners of Japan.

If we’re going by places that are popular with Japanese tourists then regions based on South Korea, Australia, Hong Kong, Thailand, or Canada would be likely.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom