• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Gen 9 Predictions (Development predictions, New Regions, Version names)

I have a couple of cool ideas for an Australia region

A Ground/Flying or pure Ground type bird based on the Cassowary (A Flightless bird)
A Poison type regional form for Krookodile (Saltwater Crocodile)
A regional form for Komala (Looks the same, but doesn't have the log) and a regional evolution (Normal/Grass) for it (Komala evolves by holding a Branch from the Eucalyptus tree, which can only be found in this region). This is the original Komala and the reason why Komala in other regions hold the log, is because they are unable to evolve.
A Dark/Electric or Dark/Fire type Tasmanian Devil
Fighting type Kangaroo line
A Ground/Grass type based on the Numbat
Normal type Bandicoot (Regional Rodent)
Water type Short-Beaked Dolphin
Water/Fire type regional form for Dewgong
Water/Steel or Water/Ice type Seal or Sea Lion
Fire type Dingo
Water/Poison type Platypus
Regional form for Crobat (Dark/Flying or Rock/Flying)
a Fossil based on the Thylacine (Tasmian Tiger)

I’d also have a water/grass Bunyip and a fire/dark legendary based on Bila, a cannibal sun goddess from aboriginal mythology.

I want to see a region/Generation with an Astrological theme, People, Places and especially pokemon themed after constellations within and without the Zodiac (especially since one of those constellations correspond to an animal that GF seem to have never gotten around to.)

Plus I also think that a Zodiac theme would have a unique opportunity gameplay-wise allowing 6 permutations per game (as they aren't gonna abandon he paired game model anytime soon,that measn 12 permutations total) that would determine what season the game would take palce in and which of the 3 gimmicks (Dyna/Gigantamax, Z moves and Mega Evolution) players could access until the post game, among other factors that would help ensure each file has a different experience better than the binary choice of which version one prefers.

The most appropriate names such such a pair of games would be Malefic and Benefic which would refernce the astrology theme and meet the basic duality criteria. Possible settings would be Greece, or Italy inspired (the former being the source of at least half the constellations as we know them and the latter is the epicenter of the Renaissance which was likely a cause for a boom in astrologians). But I wouldn't mind if the regions were based on somewhere with a little more biodiversity such as Australia or India.

Ideally the Pokedex, both new and returning pokemon should have a roster that evokes most of the constellations, while the towns and other locations are namedfor stars and astronomical phenomena, the naming convention for the Gym Leaders would be the Planets (like Team Galactic+Cynthea) and the E4 would reference the brightest of starts. Alternatively they could also be named after the Zodiacal constellation and the champ is named after Ophiuchus.

For consistency with a different zodiac, the Fire Starter line would be based on a serpent, a bull (close enough to an ox) or maybe a Sheep (kinda close to a ram/goat)

Prolly not gonna happen, but a man can dream.

Last edited:
Seeing the above post, and the starting post of this thread, I think we need a gen 9 wishlist thread and/or a “If you could make gen 9, what would you do thread?” because I feel like some of the posts here are less predictions and more wishlist ideas. There’s nothing wrong with that, and I like to see people’s creativity at work, but I feel that sometimes we have two threads going on here: actual predictions, and then people’s ideas.

Edit: Done

Last edited:
My prediction was that the Gen 4 remakes would kind of do this, by being on a new engine and drastically shaking up the battle mechanics (stat gains and leveling would work differently, six moves instead of four). Gen 9 has a gimmick, but it's extremely modular (four triggerable effects that refill rapidly) and nowhere near as powerful.

My prediction was that the Gen 4 remakes would kind of do this, by being on a new engine and drastically shaking up the battle mechanics (stat gains and leveling would work differently, six moves instead of four). Gen 9 has a gimmick, but it's extremely modular (four triggerable effects that refill rapidly) and nowhere near as powerful.
I can't see them doing that, as it would heavily alienate fans of the originals.

They considered changing the battle mechanics drastically like that 20 years ago for Gen 3 and didn't--it makes even less sense to do it now.

The first part of that was more of a fun what-if, admittedly.

It does make more sense to make such drastic changes in Gen IX proper.

Not if they want to do something big for the 25th anniversary.
It's too early for Gen 9 in general, big celebrations don't necessarily have to be exclusive to the first games of a generation.

Gen 2 and 5 are currently the shortest Gens and have received criticism for being rushed through, so I don’t know if GF will be willing to introduce a new shortest Gen in Gen 8 especially with everything else surrounding it.

It helps with the celebrations, especially considering how good Sun & Moon sold as the big 20th anniversary games.
Cutting Gen 8 short would be a big business mistake and rushing out Gen 9 would put too much pressure on the developers to have it release, most likely resulting in an unpolished game.

Gen 2 and 5 are currently the shortest Gens and have received criticism for being rushed through, so I don’t know if GF will be willing to introduce a new shortest Gen in Gen 8 especially with everything else surrounding it.
In both cases it was only like that in the West, due to the old trend that Japan got the games a full year before the rest of the world that was abandoned with BW2.
Cutting Gen 8 short would be a big business mistake and rushing out Gen 9 would put too much pressure on the developers to have it release, most likely resulting in an unpolished game.
It would still sell millions of copies by virtue of the Pokemon brand alone. Sword & Shield sold extraordinarily well despite all the controversy surrounding Dexit.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom