• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Gen 9 Predictions (Development predictions, New Regions, Version names)

Even if it were a BW2 style sequel? I thought BW2 was different enough to feel almost like a completely different game, and it's a shame that was a one off for the series. I was hoping that would be the new normal for third versions and even remakes.
Black 2 and White 2 were, like you said, a one-off. Sadly, knowing them it would have been a traditional third version, which was something I already started to dislike at the time.

Black 2 and White 2 were, like you said, a one-off. Sadly, knowing them it would have been a traditional third version, which was something I already started to dislike at the time.
There were actually two unused game data leaked that could actually have been sequels for X and Y.

There were actually two unused game data leaked that could actually have been sequels for X and Y.
Maybe. But with how early they were cut there's no way to know what they could have been. It's like with Pokémon Pink.

Sorry if I sound uncharacteristically downer, but considering I didn't get back into after SM should tell you how badly I thought about Gen VI.

I think that they had plans for follow-ups for XY, but they scrapped them because they believed that a new gen would be a better game to release for the 20th anniversary, and this headcanon has gotten me concerned that they would rush out Gen 9 this year for the 25th anniversary.

I think that they had plans for follow-ups for XY, but they scrapped them because they believed that a new gen would be a better game to release for the 20th anniversary, and this headcanon has gotten me concerned that they would rush out Gen 9 this year for the 25th anniversary.

Except that their was a clear three year gap between XY and Sun and Moon. Gen 9 doesn't need to come out this year, because they can release another mainline game (A remake, wheters its Sinnoh or Lets Go Johto) this year. And also don't forget its extremely likely New Pokemon Snap releases this year, which is a game that also brings a lot of hype and celebration amongst the fandom.

Except that their was a clear three year gap between XY and Sun and Moon. Gen 9 doesn't need to come out this year, because they can release another mainline game (A remake, wheters its Sinnoh or Lets Go Johto) this year. And also don't forget its extremely likely New Pokemon Snap releases this year, which is a game that also brings a lot of hype and celebration amongst the fandom.

In all fairness, SM didn't need to come out in 2016 either, we had had 4 year generations before that consisted of 3 games (3rd gen, 4th gen). But 2 year generations are definitely infeasible, so if we were to see 9th gen this year it'd be much, much worse than SwSh.

Honestly, I would just like for Gen 9 to get some extra years in development just so they can just get it right for the first pair of games for once. Gen 8 is the closest but only because of DLC, I would prefer if they had much more native content, then add stuff with DLC. The Super Smash Bros series is the prime example of what DLC should be: native content making the game complete, then DLC adding more on top of the native content.

By 2023? 2021 would have the DP remakes, and 2022 would have their DLC.

They will. It's nintendo we're talking about. Also likely the platinum/opal episode (If my prediction about a secret battle between Arceus and Giratina cultists does not come to pass).

They will. It's nintendo we're talking about. Also likely the platinum/opal episode (If my prediction about a secret battle between Arceus and Giratina cultists does not come to pass).
I mean, we've gone through several generations where they could put a battle facility and post-game episode behind a DLC paywall, and they didn't, so I don't think that's really a fair argument.

I don't expect DLC for remakes, unless they lock the Battle Zone behind DLC which would be a messed up move.

Wouldn't surprise me if they did a diamond and pearl remake, the first DLC added platinum features and the second added Galar features. Gamefreak are just that scummy to do something like that.

I think predicting GameFreak to do things based on how “scummy” they are is disingenuous. It makes it seem like they are out to get us. The concept of DLC in Pokémon games wasn’t only met with the criticism that “they should have been in the base games”. Many people also felt that they were a good and less costly substitute to third version games.

I think predicting GameFreak to do things based on how “scummy” they are is disingenuous. It makes it seem like they are out to get us. The concept of DLC in Pokémon games wasn’t only met with the criticism that “they should have been in the base games”. Many people also felt that they were a good and less costly substitute to third version games.

Masuda went on record saying there will be no DLC, and he used Pokemon that were locked out of the original games to sell their DLC. And don't get me started on Pokemon Home's absurd pricing. I don't think this is a Gamefreak thing, but the Pokemon Company have been largely anti-consumer lately. Numerous journalists have called them out on it and will continue to do so until they fix their practices.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom