• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Gen 9 Predictions (Development predictions, New Regions, Version names)

I don't think people are saying that there's going to be one game that covers all of Latin America, that would be far too large a region. Just that they're going to pick one or two of the more well known Latin American countries (yes, probably Mexico and/or Brazil) and make a region out of those. Again, I think when it comes to choosing regions they're going to go with they're going to prioritize the regions that are well known worldwide and have a large number of Pokemon fans, it's better for marketing that way. The reality is that everyone around the world is going to want their region to be represented in Pokemon, but it would take them 3000 years to map out every corner of the earth. I think the next biggest priorities would be Australia, Canada, or some other European region.

I wouldn't be disappointed in any shape GEN 9 takes. Which is wierd. All of what I consider unacceptable for pokemon is really stuff GameFreak wouldn't touch with a 10 parsec pole.

What's similarly somewhat odd with that has to do with the themes and tone of my prediction: we all know pokemon can get scary and intense when it wants to be, but what if that was replaced with a kind of blunt, somber attitude bordering on non-edgy forms of realism. Whilst still cheery and happy most of the time as pokemon is supposed to be, ZI replace the outright darkness of previous generations with more of a world-weariness and sobering take on what's happening: big Ghetsis-esque villainous breakdown from the character who's an in-universe representation of genwunners as he unleashes a canon version of Charizard-M'? Not scary in the slightest, just sad and kind of there. Crazy rival that' basically pokemon's equivalent of Illyasviel (NOT prisma Illya, the crazy one from Stay/night) threatening to freeze the corrupt pokemon league members and toss them out of the airship-stadium? You're just as fed up with their antics as she is (this only happens on the evil end of the karma meter). Hell, even that otherworld, Tamnav castle, isn't really even scary, just atmospheric and sobering.

Is it even likely that pokemon would drop the kiddie edge in favour of kiddie somber a la Tugs? I think so, what about you?

Last edited:
Also, I thought about reversing the version themes and legendaries. Zero version is a light/nothingness Janissary and Infinite version has a dark/abyss Knight.

As an aside, a bit like how GEN 7 was about light and familial connections, GEN 9 I predict will be about darkness and bonds of friendship. In zero light and infinite darkness is where friendships truly matter.

Last edited:
Well, a lot of what's going forward is going to be predicated on whether future main series games are all going to be like legends or whether legends is a sub-branch of the main series.

I happen to predict the former. It would be in line with the greater changes to the battle system I had predicted (more moves per pokemon, more modular gimmick) even though ZI is probably going to be way less of an open world (actually several).

Well, a lot of what's going forward is going to be predicated on whether future main series games are all going to be like legends or whether legends is a sub-branch of the main series.

I happen to predict the former. It would be in line with the greater changes to the battle system I had predicted (more moves per pokemon, more modular gimmick) even though ZI is probably going to be way less of an open world (actually several).
I don't know if they would keep this feudal Japan aesthetic for all future games.

I think a futuristic Pokemon Legends would be a really cool, I'm not talking about present Pokemon day, I'm talking about a futuristic city kind of thing.

Now that we know that Legends is coming out in 2022, I have a good feeling that we will not be seeing Gen 9 until 2023, which I am completely content with this (especially if Legends sticks in a few new Pokemon). I think that would be a good idea too. With an early 2022 release date, GF may want to and might be able to use at least some of the feedback that Legends gets to help make Gen 9 even better. I'm sure it won't make any drastic changes to what they have at that point, but they might do some smaller things.

It will be interesting to see what direction they will take the main series games after Legends. Will they continue to do a full-open world, will they go back to the old formula, or will they do a mix in between. I think I can see them doing a mix of them, where you can still choose which way you want to go, but are limited to routes. Since they seem to have figured out how to how to do it, I could also see them keeping overworld catching and battles. I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll do with all this.

I don't know if they would keep this feudal Japan aesthetic for all future games.

I meant in being BOTW pokemon style.

Also, the aesthetic for ZI I think will be very modern and streetwise, almost similar to To Aru at times when mundane. Tamnav castle in particular looks like it came straight out of the Nasuverse.

With Legends Arceus' announcement, I have a feeling 9th gen is a lot further off than we think. Even 2023 seems too early for 9th gen after a game as intensive and ambitious as 9th gen, do you really think Game Freak is going to be able to release two games of that scale back to back? There's probably going to be another year or two of smaller entries, like more DLC or Let's Go Johto, and I don't think we'll see 9th gen until 2024/2025, and maybe even on the Switch's successor instead of the Switch. Game Freak seems to be listening to the complaints about them rushing the games out and slowing things down. And now they have a lot of different styles of games up their sleeves to stretch out the generations, they have DLC, traditional remakes, Let's Go, and now Legends. Hell, they might even bring back sequels too if needed. Those kinds of games could hold us off without the games feeling too repetitive and similar.

With Legends Arceus' announcement, I have a feeling 9th gen is a lot further off than we think. Even 2023 seems too early for 9th gen after a game as intensive and ambitious as 9th gen, do you really think Game Freak is going to be able to release two games of that scale back to back? There's probably going to be another year or two of smaller entries, like more DLC or Let's Go Johto, and I don't think we'll see 9th gen until 2024/2025, and maybe even on the Switch's successor instead of the Switch. Game Freak seems to be listening to the complaints about them rushing the games out and slowing things down. And now they have a lot of different styles of games up their sleeves to stretch out the generations, they have DLC, traditional remakes, Let's Go, and now Legends. Hell, they might even bring back sequels too if needed. Those kinds of games could hold us off without the games feeling too repetitive and similar.

I thought as much, remember the original post? Doesn't seem too unrealistic now.

Australia would make hella sense for a full Open World Pokemon game.

Yeah, I'm thinking more and more that Australia is next. If they want to make 9th gen more like Legends, Australia would make a ton of sense for that. The Outback is just as wild and untamed as Legends Sinnoh is, so you could easily see similar gameplay there.

Yeah, I'm thinking more and more that Australia is next. If they want to make 9th gen more like Legends, Australia would make a ton of sense for that. The Outback is just as wild and untamed as Legends Sinnoh is, so you could easily see similar gameplay there.
I think that they are going back to Japan based regions.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom