• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Gen 9 Predictions (Development predictions, New Regions, Version names)

I was also wondering about this and was about to do a big speculation post about it because Pokemon games have hinted towards future ones in the past, but while doing some research I discovered that these photos simply depict some concept art from the recent Pokemon movie Coco. Here are some screenshots.

I knew the red-roofed building in the smaller picture looked familiar, but I couldn't place it.
The giant Acadia tree makes me think this unknown region is a warm place, which works for gen 9 because we just got a cold region with galar, they wouldn't do 2 cold regions in a row.

I was also wondering about this and was about to do a big speculation post about it because Pokemon games have hinted towards future ones in the past, but while doing some research I discovered that these photos simply depict some concept art from the recent Pokemon movie Coco. Here are some screenshots.

I knew the red-roofed building in the smaller picture looked familiar, but I couldn't place it.

Where specifically? Any ideas?

My personal biases are indicating somewhere in southern Europe.

I always thought the Cyndaquil line were very clearly porcupines?
I think Cyndaquil has the long nose of an echidna while Typlosion has a badger-like snout, in contrast to porcupines which have a flatter face; I think Quilava bears the closet resemblance to a porcupine. While I do believe the whole line was partially inspired by porcupines, I think Cyndaquil's and Typlosion's primary inspirations were other animals.
155Cyndaquil.png
156Quilava.png
157Typhlosion.png

1280px-Short-beaked_echidna_in_ANBG.jpg
iu
iu

Last edited:
If gen 9 is based off Canada, I hope the legendary Pokemon are a Moose and a Loon.

Moose Pokemon - Ground/Grass Type
Loon Pokemon - Water/Flying Type

I'd love to see a region based on either Australia, Egypt or Brazil. I don't care so much about new types that could be introduced or any game changing mechanics for the games but I pray that there will be no new form gimmick or special battle attack novelty like we've had in recent Gens...

Ex-Yugoslavia, Russia, and Germany are some of my favorite predictions, though I wouldn't mind Italy or Spain (they're more likely on account of the cold/hot divide and fame)

Glass type has been talked about if u google it there's an article on fandom. I even came up with the names for such pokemon.
I'm hoping it rounds up the pokecount to the thousand :eek:

Glass type has been talked about if u google it there's an article on fandom. I even came up with the names for such pokemon.
I'm hoping it rounds up the pokecount to the thousand :eek:
What would a glass type even entail though? :wynaut:
Does it even make sense as a Pokemon type?

Glass type sounds like a subset of the Rock type, though, I don't think we'll be getting a Glass type.
True :unsure: Although, for obvious reasons, very fragile.

I don't see it happening either. Not that it's needed, but its existence just doesn't seem to be justifiable. Not to mention, I don't think we really need any new types at the moment.

Considering there is/was a lot of speculation about India as the next region (Due to Copperajah and the Curry dex), lets speculate the possible candidates for starterand other mons.

Something that has been noticeable about the starter mons in the last 2 generation (gen 7 and 8), is this
Decidueye - Grass (Sports/Projectiles), Cinderace - Fire (Sports/Projectiles)
Incineroar - Fire (Heel Wrestler/Dirty fighting), Inteleon - Water (Spy/Dirty Fighting)
Primarina - Water (Music/Singing), Rillaboom (Music/Playing instrument)

So the gen 9 starters might follow the same trope/pattern.
Water type sports/projectiles (Cricket is the most popular sport in India)
Grass type Dirty fighting
Fire type Music (Dancing perhaps)

For the water type, a Beaver might be kinda funny.
For the Grass type, the first 2 things that might come to mind are a Tiger or an Elephant. However, i would like to go with the Bear instead (Especially since we recently had a Tiger with Incineroar).
For the Fire type, a Snake.

Just have gone with animals that seem appropriate for starters in an Indian region.

For the early Rodent, the Marmot is a possibility, with the Gerbil, Jeboa and Lemming as another. A problem is that there aren't a lot of unique rodents to choose from, from Asia itself (We already have 2 rats for example) and those four are basically the only possible ones if you want to have an unique variety.

So... what is your speculation and which animals do you think are appropriate for an Indian region to be turned into Pokemon.

I think India is a strong possibility, but I also think it’s hard to predict because monsters that reflect the region’s real-world inspiration are the exception rather than the rule.

I don’t think there are any penguins in Hokkaido, they didn’t save Komala for an Australian region, nor did they save the musketeers for Kalos, just one gen later.

They mostly borrow geography and culture from their influences— which isn’t to say you’re off-base, I feel like the starting rodent in particular is a good candidate for something native to the country. Just that beyond that and maybe something like the Tapus, I feel like they would draw influences from all over for monster design.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom