• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Gen 9 Predictions (Development predictions, New Regions, Version names)

They're not going to tip their hand on what's next, it's bad for PR and marketing if they can't surprise people.
Is it really, though?
  • The type of fan to seek out speculation and hints on the next region isn't exactly going to be turned away just because the next region wasn't a complete surprise
  • Past advertising cycles haven't really cared to keep the region a secret- SwSh revealed it during the announcement of the games themselves, and I think SuMo or XY did, too
  • The inspiration is only one part of the region, which itself is only one part of the game itself. As we saw with SwSh's cycle, knowing a region's inspiration led to fans speculating about what elements of England might be integrated into the games- what towns and cities might appear, what animals might be made into Pokemon, what kinds of characters might appear. It didn't lead to people deciding, "Oh, I guess that's all there is to know about SwSh".
  • Being the highest-grossing media franchise and pretty dominant in its field, it's not like Pokemon has to worry about competition taking the idea if it does get out
It's most likely a red herring.
I doubt they're mentioning travels in interviews in the hopes that fans will zero in on them and guess incorrectly about the next region's inspiration.

I think people read to much into Redwood pointing towards a next region. Yes, they did PR in Redwood city, but the mention of Redwood itself might also point towards a Chinese region, since Redwood trees are a big thing there. Or Redwood is the name of the professor (Which doesn't need to point towards a region at all, since Magnolia's are a USA thing, same with Sycamore).

I think people read to much into Redwood pointing towards a next region. Yes, they did PR in Redwood city, but the mention of Redwood itself might also point towards a Chinese region, since Redwood trees are a big thing there. Or Redwood is the name of the professor (Which doesn't need to point towards a region at all, since Magnolia's are a USA thing, same with Sycamore).

It's game freak. Patterns don't really exist with them.

Bro if they make a pokemon based off this it will forever be my favorite Rock/Grass.
UrnPlanter2.png

I drew in some eyes to help design what I think. A Rock/Grass type.

And it evolves in a large, flat-bowl. This 1 will have pink flowers whereas it's evo will have predominantly red flowers. And some vines that hang down. And it can have a baby-sized pre-evo too.

GF please make them!

I literally just thought of it yesterday.

I been hoping for Grass/Fire after Gen 6 and 7, as well as Grass/Water and Grass/Rock, but I realize, if they make this, it would be my favorite, not a fire-flowering plant.

Can't wait till Gen 9 damn. That is, can't wait for what Grass/* types in Gen 9, cuz the Grass/* types in Gen 7 and 8 failed me.

1633969739807.png

Junichi Masuda on a picture with all Pikachu.

Look at this guys.
Look at the top row
National Guard Pikachu - UK - Galar
Police officer - Unova
Knight - Kalos

But the one in between the Police officer and the National Guard is interesting. Its old-Dutch attire.

But then we look at the bottom row. Japanese styled Pikachus, except for the one waving at the camera. It wears Orange

Netherlands region confirmed?????. There was also a painting spotted that resembled a Van Gogh painting.

Last edited:
View attachment 151030

Look at this guys.
Look at the top row
Police officer - Unova
Knight - Kalos

But the one in between the Police officer and the National Guard is interesting. Its old-Dutch attire.

But then we look at the bottom row. Japanese styled Pikachus, except for the one waving at the camera. It wears Orange

Netherlands region confirmed?????. There was also a painting spotted that resembled a Van Gogh painting.
Interesting, but it could be a red herring. I still remember that time people thought Masuda was hinting at a Spain-based region after Kalos.

Interesting, but it could be a red herring. I still remember that time people thought Masuda was hinting at a Spain-based region after Kalos.

Sure it can. But honestly, three instances (The painting in alola or SWSH resembling Van Gogh and then the 2 attires in this picture) of a red herring seems a bit much though.

I also recall a bit of merchandise leading upto Sword and Shield wearing the exact same Dutch attire as the Pikachu on the top row.
1633972791988.png

We haven't had a Spanish Styled Pikachu merch yet so far, which for me makes it all the more suspicious.

Sure it can. But honestly, three instances (The painting in alola or SWSH resembling Van Gogh and then the 2 attires in this picture) of a red herring seems a bit much though.

I also recall a bit of merchandise leading upto Sword and Shield wearing the exact same Dutch attire as the Pikachu on the top row. View attachment 151032

We haven't had a Spanish Styled Pikachu merch yet so far, which for me makes it all the more suspicious.
It might just mean that Galar is a composite of the UK and the Netherlands.

Unova was supposed to be NYC but it has some elements of China, Japan, and France.

Hoenn is supposed to be Kyushu and it is, but there are also elements of Greece and other places in its overall design.

Sinnoh is Hokkaido, but could probably double as some other mountainous northern land in the real world.

It might just mean that Galar is a composite of the UK and the Netherlands.

Unova was supposed to be NYC but it has some elements of China, Japan, and France.

Hoenn is supposed to be Kyushu and it is, but there are also elements of Greece and other places in its overall design.

Sinnoh is Hokkaido, but could probably double as some other mountainous northern land in the real world.

We literally didn't have anything that resembled the Netherlands in Galar though.

View attachment 151030

Look at this guys.
Look at the top row
Police officer - Unova
Knight - Kalos

So you're sure it's not Statue of Liberty Pikachu?

Anyways, this video hints at a tropical/warm Gen 9 region:

Western Europe twice in a row, then hopefully eastern Europe.

My gen IX prediction frankly makes more sense as a gen X prediction.

As for the cold-warm dichotomy that usually manifests, most regions have actually been a mix. Holland is also a mix, warmer than Britain but colder than Hawaii. In addition, one must remember the historical relations between Holland and Japan.

More clues are likely to be provided in Legends: Arceus and BDSP.

So you're sure it's not Statue of Liberty Pikachu?

Anyways, this video hints at a tropical/warm Gen 9 region:

This one is reaching though (Notice how he skipped Celebi). Thats already indication he doesn't have a point at all.

I seriously do not see them doing two European countries in a row. The Netherlands will probably happen eventually due to their history with Japan, but not right after a UK region.

Australia is the perfect place for a fully open world region, if they actually do one. Beyond that, it has a strong relationship with Japan and unique environments and culture. I think it has been the obvious choice since before Galar, and I think the only reason they haven’t done it yet is because it is so “big”. But with the franchise moving toward big open areas (if not fully open worlds), it makes sense to do it now.

Do they normally visit the places they are basing the region on like how animators do?

Not sure when they would've started, but I doubt they've been able to travel everywhere for most of 2 years.

I seriously do not see them doing two European countries in a row. The Netherlands will probably happen eventually due to their history with Japan, but not right after a UK region.
Agreed. Though it'd be cool to see a region based on my home country, I'm more interested in a fresh region based on an entirely different part of the world. For example, Copperajah's Dex entry hints directly at the existence of an India-inspired region which sounds super exciting to me.
I want a region based on Egypt honestly ( or any Arab inspired ), Greece and Africa
These would also be awesome :wynaut:

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom