• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Gen 9 Predictions (Development predictions, New Regions, Version names)

What about eastern europe outside of russia? Finland, Romania, the western balkans, there's a ton of fertile ground.

I have for years, since before Gen 5, theorized on a 5th Japan region. Back then it seemed logical that they were going to just do all of Japan, if anyone else was on forums 11-12 years ago you might remember that. My idea for a 5th region was to have the region north of Kanto, Tōhoku, become a region for the Pokemon games. They could also include northern Chūbu, southern Chūbu in the Pokemon games makes up eastern Johto/western Kanto. This new Japan region would be directly connected to both Kanto and Johto to the south, and Sinnoh to the north. The Sinjoh Ruins basically exist in this new region, considering this region would be the geographical halfway point between Sinnoh and Johto. I think this almost makes sense given where we are in the franchise right now. We're heading right into Sinnoh remakes and a brand new concept, Legends: Arceus, which is a very lore-based story. It's likely that, just like how we got Kanto remakes after Hoenn remakes with LGPE, we will be seeing a Johto remake sometime after Sinnoh, within the next 5 years or so. What if in between Legends: Arceus and Johto remakes, they introduce this new region as a way to lead into Johto from Sinnoh, using this region as a halfway point, both literally and figuratively.

Makes some amount of sense, especially with travel being curtailed the past couple years. If we assume production began in earnest in mid 2019 as they were wrapping up SwSh, the pandemic started late 2019 and hit everyone full force early 2020. They might do their travel to the new region's inspiration earlier, I've never tried to line up the exact times we knew they were in Hawaii or France with the start of production/end of production of the last game. But if it typically happens during production and not before, they'd most likely have been confined to Japan at the time.

It'd also be kind of fitting in the sense that they did four Japanese regions, four world tour regions, so next they could bring it back home with another Japanese one. This of course is not a sustainable practice, as they're going to run out of Japanese regions far sooner than they are to run out of international regions, but still.

'I'm amending my prediction so that we have gen IX in the Netherlands and Gen X in the former Yugoslavia.

Gen IX versions are called Zero and Infinity, the theme is power, how it corrupts, and how it can be used for good. The colors are Orange and Green, respectively. It uses a lot of battle system quirks from Legends Arceus as well as bringing back all three major gimmicks in altered forms. Another semi-open world, mostly flatland with an impressive draw distance.

Gen X versions are called Apex and Nadir, the theme is identity, transience, and choice. The colors are white and black, respectively. It replaces the three gimmicks with a much more modular gimmick called trainer arts. It's mostly mountainous with a great deal of verticality, and exchanges a lot of the open world elements with immersive sim elements. It's perhaps the most story-heavy game in the series, and ends with a hard reboot of the franchise

Pokemon Future and Pokemon Past. To me it's just a matter of time until they use the future-past theme. A new region based on Australia, Canada or India seems the more probable to me.

For the starters...

I'd like to see a Grass Starter based on a quadruped cave bear/ceratopsian dinosaur/rhino;

There's still 4 animals (snake, ox, sheep and horse) avaliable on the chinese zodiac, so I'm picking the snake here. A Fire/Poison snake would be very cool, but they need make it different to the point that it doesn't resemble Serperior a lot.

For the Water Starter I'd like to see either an iguana or a plesiosaur.

Last edited:
If they were going to repeat Black and White, I think it would be more creative to name it something like "Marble and Obsidian" rather than name it like a color again.

THAT WOULD WORK!
imagine just light/dark...

not gonna lie, i think they could do some sort of a "3rd game" as a repeat, considering how they've already had sequels (B2W2).
So, like, Pokemon Grey, and for XY they could do the fabled Pokemon Z. that's my two cents
I meant in Black and White as a theme for Marble and Obsidian, not for the remake. But if we're talking about a remake, I would vastly prefer a single version Unova game just to see how the two versions of Unova would mix together. Maybe a single version sequel would be even better than a third version.

If they were going to repeat Black and White, I think it would be more creative to name it something like "Marble and Obsidian" rather than name it like a color again.

Hence, Apex and Nadir, which mean the highest and lowest points.

Oooohhh... that's what Nadir means

Not a good sign for its prospects of game name ideas. The names of the game should really be simple to understand, especially considering Pokemon likes to target young kids. If some adults don't even know what "Apex" and "Nadir" mean, it's probably not a good choice of names for kids.

Can't think of a good alternative unfortunately. "Top" and "Bottom" are the first that come to mind, but those can have different implications.

Not a good sign for its prospects of game name ideas. The names of the game should really be simple to understand, especially considering Pokemon likes to target young kids. If some adults don't even know what "Apex" and "Nadir" mean, it's probably not a good choice of names for kids.

Can't think of a good alternative unfortunately. "Top" and "Bottom" are the first that come to mind, but those can have different implications.

Just because one forum member didn't know what one half of the name meant?

Just because one forum member didn't know what one half of the name meant?
I think it goes beyond just forum members :unsure: The names of Pokemon games tend to be simplistic and easy to translate across languages. I'm not disagreeing with the idea, or even the thought behind each title, but maybe picking something a little more accessible/straight forward would help? I think the concept is pretty cool btw

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom