• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Gen 9 Predictions (Development predictions, New Regions, Version names)

Not my original idea, found it on Reddit a long time ago, but hear me out:

F32870A4-1111-44FF-8911-A7C264BD4809.jpeg

Well, any suggestions as to what could be used to follow the "highest and lowest" theme naming I suggested? One word, too. Pokemon Sky High and Pokemon Rock Bottom don't necessarily sound like something GF and Nintendo would do.

It's not a celestial theme, it's actually a psychological one. Apex version's legendary represented alienation by virtue of success, whilst Nadir's represents demonization by way of prominent failure. The games have this obsession with the ancient Greek concept of "hamartia", which literally means to miss in archery, but colloquially means sin. On one hand, we have a paragon of virtue that cannot connect to anything around it because it is so perfect, and on the other we have an embodiment of vice that seethes with hate for all who rejected it for it's imperfections. The game even have a karma system a lot like dishonored (though it only increases with special actions and dialogue) and it's main themes are about choice in the face of mortality and chaos.
Earth and Sky?

Pokemon seems to go with basic nouns and then adds an adjective (or in the case of Let's Go, a common phrase) or other simple modifying word for the remakes.

I second dream and nightmare

The problem with Dream and Nightmare is that it casts one version in a positive light and another in a negative light, and they'll have a difficult time justifying why the negative one could be good. They don't really want to do that because then the negative one won't sell as well, kids aren't going to want to buy the version of the game themed around unpleasant dreams. The opposing concepts they choose should both be equally valid.

See, this is how they appeal to older audiences? I assume that they may have gone through something slightly similar with white/black, albeit at a smaller scale. Pokémon isn't just only for kids, and really I feel like BW had a "darker" storyline (I'm only half through it however), so I think it could definitely work.
Definetly my favorite idea so far, but I'd appreciate a darker Pokémon game, so please take my opinion with some salt here.

Yes, but if they want it to be for kids and adults, they can't do something that would turn off one or the other. They need something that appeals to both. That's why we don't really see a lot of darker stories. They could do some more lighthearted stories with darker implications (a good example of this is how they imply in SM
that Guzma's father abused him but they never explicitly state this to avoid disturbing children
).

At any rate, if they really want to go in an imagination/magic/supernatural sort of direction I'm going to repeat my suggestion of Fantasy and Reality (and anyone who likes that sort of stuff can just choose Fantasy). There'd be a lot of potential with that theme for interesting stories/conflicts between people who like to imagine and dream of the way things could/should be vs. people who want to stay grounded and focus on the way things are (and then as a resolution/compromise the theme could be finding ways to take what you imagine and make it real). And again I really, really hope they save this theme for a potential VR title in the future, the theme is just way too on the nose with VR being technology that takes things we can imagine and makes them real things we can interact with.

Last edited:
The problem with Dream and Nightmare is that it casts one version in a positive light and another in a negative light, and they'll have a difficult time justifying why the negative one could be good. They don't really want to do that because then the negative one won't sell as well, kids aren't going to want to buy the version of the game themed around unpleasant dreams. The opposing concepts they choose should both be equally valid.
Granted, a lot of the wannabe edgy teens would probably go for Nightmare but yeah. Parents would probably be less inclined to buy that for their younger kids, and the version sales would be very lopsided.

I'd personally prefer Fantasy vs Technology where the setting tweaks depending on the version. Like say you go to a village that runs on magic in the former version, but it's super advanced sci-fi village in the latter.

They miiight be able to work that in to Fantasy/Reality similarly to how they worked in past/future themes into some of BW's locations, but in general Fantasy would represent more than just magic, it would represent anything that someone could create in their head, tying into dreams, imagination, etc. The contrast between the two versions would be based on what you could imagine vs. what actually exists. Magic vs. technology is part of that I guess, because magic only exists in fiction whereas technology exists in the real world, but I'm looking at a broader scope for this theme.

Posted in the wrong thread accidentally lol But just repeating my point:

Even if redundant, I could see a Pokemon Dawn and Dusk pair sometime in the near future.

Or maybe, one day, we won't have paired versions and instead have the ability to make in-game choices that affect the over-world/story in one single title :p

Earth and sea for the Dutch works perfectly, as does dream and nightmare for the former Yugoslavia (well, disregarding the war in it it's entirely that part of the world isn't the easiest to live in. It's resource-poor, very rough terrain, and either scorching hot or freezing cold).

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom