• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Gen 9 Predictions (Development predictions, New Regions, Version names)

In any case we really never quite know what's going to happen. There is the distinct possibility that they just continuously extend this generation in order to make IX concurrent with the 30th anniversary (giratina's mother I feel old).

Very much no. The difference between Pokemon and Digimon is that Digimon Adventure actually ended at some point while Pokemon has held on as a continuous thing. There's no revisiting a series from your childhood because the Pokemon anime never ended.

And while it was great to revisit Digimon Adventure and see those characters again, having them effectively tell us "Digimon is for kids" wasn't a great message. Nor is it something that Pokemon will ever resort to because they've made it clear that Pokemon is for all ages. You can get pokemon print shirts for work, you can get pokemon-themed wedding bands- Pokemon is not going to say "It's time to move on" because it's not ending and it plans to be with us for life.
Except that that is not the message, especially if you take in account 02's epilogue so if you think the message is "Digimon is for kids", I think you either didn't pay proper attention or watched a different movie.

That said (Since this is not a Digimon thread but a Pokémon one), I don't think we'll see Gen 9 this year. I guess next year but Khu had hinted at DLC in April for Arceus. So probably DLC, sit out the rest of the year as they work on it, and then Gen 9.

As far as the nostalgia goes, Pokémon will always use it. The entire Journeys anime is pisspoor and is just nostalgia bait galore. And it makes sense from a marketing standpoint too. Familiar faces for older fans looking to return or with young cousins, nieces or maybe even kids of themselves and new faces for the new generation of fans. (I also personally don't think the nostalgia is that bad in Pokémon. I find that Pokémon happens to spread out quite considerably over multiple mons/instances, especially compared to a lot of other franchises out there.)

As far as the new region goes. I don't have a preference. Just make something cool out of it and we're good. Though at one part, speculating about the new region is always one part of the fun.

All I can say is that if they make a region based on Texas, I quit. I already let Scorbunny slide...

All I can say is that if they make a region based on Texas, I quit.
a texan pokemon region would make me cry, and then I would also quit.

As for a region I think might happen, its strange but I'm thinking Ireland? It's probably just because I want to see Ireland as a region in general, even if it isn't gen 9

We may not get an Indian region for Gen 9. It's not the first time we got a Pokemon who is said or implied to be from another region and not get that region yet. Heck, we didn't even get to explore Yungoos's region yet, so we don't exactly know where the next region will be based on yet.

Except that that is not the message, especially if you take in account 02's epilogue so if you think the message is "Digimon is for kids", I think you either didn't pay proper attention or watched a different movie.

That said (Since this is not a Digimon thread but a Pokémon one), I don't think we'll see Gen 9 this year. I guess next year but Khu had hinted at DLC in April for Arceus. So probably DLC, sit out the rest of the year as they work on it, and then Gen 9.

As far as the nostalgia goes, Pokémon will always use it. The entire Journeys anime is pisspoor and is just nostalgia bait galore. And it makes sense from a marketing standpoint too. Familiar faces for older fans looking to return or with young cousins, nieces or maybe even kids of themselves and new faces for the new generation of fans. (I also personally don't think the nostalgia is that bad in Pokémon. I find that Pokémon happens to spread out quite considerably over multiple mons/instances, especially compared to a lot of other franchises out there.)

As far as the new region goes. I don't have a preference. Just make something cool out of it and we're good. Though at one part, speculating about the new region is always one part of the fun.
You're kind of right, if you take 02's epilogue into account, but the specific message in Last Evolution was "children have potential and adults don't" and the timing was like "we're taking your kid things away so you can focus on being an adult." So while 02 does take away the sting, the movie was very much "put your toys down," which is very much the opposite of Pokemon, which has practically been telling us for the past few years "make Pokemon part of your whole life."

It's something I have appreciated about Pokemon, the signs that they want to grow with us instead of expecting us to put it away. It's a direction I would have rather seen Digimon gone, showing friendships that support you through the difficult part of your adult life rather than unnecessarily ripping them away at a phase where a lot of us could most use it. Go forth, DigiDestined, go get through the hard part of life on your own, and maybe you'll see your partners again someday. Meanwhile, Pokemon will be there for you all through school, work, and marriage.

But yeah, Pokemon's never going to drop the nostalgia and especially never going to do a hard reboot because there's really nothing wrong with it having a history and bonding with its fans over that shared history. Hopefully it'll do a little more growing up, maybe give us a new anime series not featuring an eternal 10 year old who's long since gone from being a solid protagonist to dropped on his head too many times. Because any nostalgia we all might've had for Ash was killed years ago, these days he's just an obligatory sock puppet.

Again, they could extend this gen and make gen IX coincide with the 30th anniversary.

There is absolutely no way that they are going to try to stretch Gen 8 out for another four years. Not happening.
What else would they even release if they wanted to stretch it out? There's no third version to make since the expansion pass took the place of that. Another set of remakes? So soon? No way? Arceus sequel? Also no way.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom