• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen I VC Discussion Thread

The Outrage

Reaction score
I thought it would be nice to have a thread to talk about our Gen I VC adventures in general.

Yellow Version
Pikachu
Nidoran♀
Nidoran♂
Caterpie

Lost to the rival twice, meaning he'll have Vaporeon. It only occurred to me just now how his Eeveelutions were chosen. Blue chooses Jolteon when you demonstrate that your electric type Pikachu is superior--essentially, he seems to want the Pokemon he already passed up. If you beat him in your first battle and lose/skip the second, he chooses Flareon. I'm going to guess he's unsure about what to choose, and doesn't want to be disadvantaged because of that one loss (thus opts against Vaporeon), but doesn't choose Jolteon because he's not fully sold on the power of electric types. I'm going to guess that since Pikachu lost the first battle, Blue is either a massive douche and wants to humiliate you with a water Pokemon, or Vaporeon is his favourite and chose it because he didn't care about the typing.

Happy anniversary, everyone! Woohoo! I've been waiting for someone to start a thread like this! :)

I chose Red version for nostalgia (it was my first) but picked Squirtle to do things a bit differently this time around (originally chose Charmander).

Started at midnight last night, and already we're grinding to face Brock. My team is
Raymond the Squirtle lv 11
Nolan the Nidoran♂ lv 11
Storm the Spearow lv 8
Bugaboo the Caterpie lv 5
Rarity the Pikachu lv 5

I nearly died of shock - on my first walkthrough of Viridian Forest a Pikachu jumped out at me. You guys know how many HOURS I spent searching for a Pikachu in my childhood!?

I'd forgotten how...alone...you are in these games. The old man in Viridian does the 'how to catch a Pokemon' tutorial and I fully expected him to hand me 5 Pokeballs afterwards. Lol, nope, buy them yourself, kid! You don't even have to go back to your house to tell your Mum you're leaving; she doesn't care! :p And it's awesome that your rival only stops you to battle you, instead of halting your progress every so often to chat, or partner up. I hated that about XY.

Oh, speaking of good old Rival Blue, before I'd even caught my first Pokemon or levelled up my starter to lv 8, I wandered too far west of Viridian towards the League gate, and got my ass handed to me by a grossly overlevvelled Blue. I haven't lost a Pokemon battle since the friggin 3rd generation - the jerk ruined my winning streak! -_-

I'm only at Viridian with Kacaw the Pidgey and Ralph the Bulbasaur. Not even sure what else I want to use on the team yet. Electabuzz is a certainty though.

Downloaded Yellow this morning after a bit of indecision. An old friend of mine went for Blue and chose Charmander, so I considered doing the opposite - buying Red and picking Squirtle, just for a nice parallel if we do ever meet up and battle in the future. I may still do that in the coming months, but for now i've decided to go for the Pikachu edition which is quite fitting considering that the TV series was my entry point to the franchise in 1999.

So to begin with I named myself ASH and partnered up with the Pikachu that I watched Professor Oak catch - "shocking, isn't it". At the lab I lost to my rival GARY as his Eevee's Tackle attacks proved too strong for my untamed Pikachu. Following my bruising first battle I ran an errand for the Professor which was to deliver his custom Pokeball that was waiting at the Poke Mart. After doing that and receiving a Pokedex, Pikachu and I were On The Road To Viridian City once more.

I stocked up on Poke Balls and Potions, following which I caught a Pidgey and Ratatta on Route 1, as well as a Nidoran M on Route 22. Said route is where I have saved for now.

Team Log:
Pikachu - Lv 6
Pidgey - Lv 3
Ratatta - Lv 3
Nidoran M - Lv 2

Last edited:
So I was up late last night from 12 playing Yellow :giggle:.

I forgot how much this game used to mean to me, it was my first ever Pokémon game (along with Red), and I'm just overjoyed playing it again haha.
I started off good, but then I got to Viridian and it hit me "Crap, Brock is a rock gym leader" ahhh the nostalgia :D, so I headed over to Route 23 to catch a Mankey, beat Gary, and then headed to Pewter.

I now have 1 badge and am in Cerulean City, my team is:
Pikachu - Lv 17
Mankey - Lv 16
Bulbasaur - Lv 10 (I am training him now :)).

Happy Anniversary Pokemon! Been so exciting reading everyone's memories of their past playthroughs and reading people's experiences of the games today - really got me so pumped to play these games again.

I have literally just finished downloading Red Version (which was my first Pokemon game when it came out while my big bro had Blue Version), but have been giving it so much thought this morning.
I have decided to take Bulbasaur as my Starter Pokemon and am looking forward to raising some Pokemon that I have never played with before, planning to finish up with Venusaur, Clefable, Poliwrath, Jynx, Electabuzz and Dragonite. I am especially excited as I loved raising the traded Jynx Lola, it was my favorite Pokemon of the original games and my first ever LV100 team member... really looking forward to re-living that experience. Especially, taking them over to Sun and Moon when they come out and seeing how much they change, especially with Mega Evolution, the Fairy type and even being able to evolve my Electabuzz haha :D

Gotta say though, I love nicknaming my main team members, but I am worried about not knowing genders. Like, LadySasaki in the second post has named their Squirtle "Ralph", but what if you trade Ralph over to Sun/Moon and it turns out it is a female? Still, it will be interesting trying to think up any gender neutral nicknames for my team for a change. Oohh this is so exciting!!!

I don't know, I just assumed it would of been mentioned in the update page, unless they didn't get that far to try and activate it yet? Maybe their still updating the page...
If they haven't changed anything about Missingno., why would it be on the update page?

Damn I only want MissingNo. First thing that come on my mind when I heard Yellow is also come back and they can be transferred to Bank is to collect all the MissingNo!!!

just got yellow, and as soon as the opening sequence began I couldn't stop smiling, this is brilliant

Guys if you beat the elite four 100 times with 6 level 100 magikarp mew will appear and start an event where you relive the movie!

Serious talk though I got yellow, does anyone know if the mew glitch is still in the game? If so how can I get the mew? Does it have to be after the elite four? I never did the glitch before :p

So I started with Blue sometime yesterday after the aforementioned emblazoning of textbooks. Since I have the Japanese version and they don't let you use English characters in Gen I I now have a male character named Zoraya. He must be very confused, or else his mum always wanted a girl. I always nickname my rival either Twinkie or Pancake but same problem, and I don't like "pankeeki" as a name, it seems weird to me, so "Gary" ended up named Buchimuge (an approximation of buchimgae, one of the Korean words for pancake). I had never even heard of Pokemon video games until 2010 (I grew up in a third world country, so sue me), but I loved the original series run when I was a kid, so when I finally heard of the games I banzai'd into them, starting with a ROM of Blue. Lack of ability to trade between ROMs caused me to then buy almost every single Pokemon game in existance (minus RBGY and GSC), but Blue was still technically the first one I played and thus I started with that again.

After getting yelled at for daring to step in grass I chose Charmander (Honoo) as my partner cause I always choose fire types. After the PokeMart lifted its ban on selling pokeballs to 10-year olds I bought ~15 and started filling out my team: Remy the Rattata, Pudgy (Pa-ji) the Pidgey, Waaru (a play on "War" and "Warui (which means bad)") the Spearow, and Nidochan and Nidokun the Nidoran siblings. I beat up on Buchimgae again after levelling up my team a bit, then buggered off into the forest. I remembered from my original attempt to play through Blue that the only thing I could use with any success against Brock was Butterfree, so Remy got retired to the box and Butterball the Caterpie joined my team. We're all currently hunting around Viridian Forest for a Pikachu to befriend while levelling.

Meanwhile, I also decided to get Yellow because I had cash left in the eshop from renewing my Pokemon Bank thing and couldn't think of anything else to spend it on, and I'd never touched Yellow before in my life. I started it up and squee'd with glee at Pikachu actually saying "Pikachu." Again, named my char Zoraya and the rival Buchimgae. After Mr. Kinda-Pancake threw a fit and stole the Eevee that was to be mine I acquired Chui the Pikachu as a partner and now we're roaming around attempting to find him some friends but he keeps killing them all. True to the anime, Chui is indeed very antisocial. ^<__<^;;

Happy 20th Anniversary everyone!!

I was struggling between Blue & Yellow, but I chose Blue as it was my first Pokemon game and it's the game that started it all for me. Much love <3 I chose Squirtle as my starter, as it was my first Pokemon choice that I completed Blue with way back when.

Reached Pewter City so far and I'm finding it smoother than I thought I would. It's pretty refreshing to go back to black & white pixels, and then back to OR/AS briefly, and then back to Blue again. Nice to see how much the series has developed and how far its come. I think there'll be an even bigger contrast to make when Sun/Moon are released this year.

@LadySasaki I named my rival Gary too. Just seems fitting. :p

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom