• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen I VC Pokemon Transfers

The Outrage

Reaction score
So we have threads speculating on new Mega Evolutions and new Pokemon. I've even seen a thread on Gen I TMs, however, we don't have a thread discussing Gen I Pokemon being transferred in general.

Its obvious Game Freak is changing their data structure to be consistent with Gen VII, but what else will they do? In Gen II, when a Gen I Pokemon was traded, there was occasionally a chance they would hold an item.

Do you think Gen I VC Pokemon should be given something unique?

Anyone who has seen me in other threads know that I promote the idea of "Retro Abilities" where Gen I Pokemon are given unique abilities compared to Gen VII. While this would be a way to address issues like No Guard Fissure Machamp, I would think that Retro Abilities would also be inheritable while breeding.

I also think that some Gen I Pokemon could have special "default" moves that can only be taught with the move relearner. For example, we know that Dratini coming from Blackthorn city have Extreme Speed. Perhaps Dratini coming from Yellow Version can also learn Extreme Speed naturally, and this can be passed on as egg moves to their children.

Now why did I point out Yellow Version? Its because in Red and Blue, Lance's Dragonite can use another move that isn't found in any wild-type Dratini--Barrier. I had always theorized that his Barrier Dragonite was the same as the Extreme Speed Dratini in that it was a special Blackthorn breed. Perhaps Red and Blue Versions can provide Dratini with Barrier. Competitively, its not that great, but I think its a nice throwback to Lance's Dragonite, and it can finally stop people from going "Lance is a cheater!"

Now why did I point out Yellow Version? Its because in Red and Blue, Lance's Dragonite can use another move that isn't found in any wild-type Dratini--Barrier. I had always theorized that his Barrier Dragonite was the same as the Extreme Speed Dratini in that it was a special Blackthorn breed. Perhaps Red and Blue Versions can provide Dratini with Barrier. Competitively, its not that great, but I think its a nice throwback to Lance's Dragonite, and it can finally stop people from going "Lance is a cheater!"
Hahaha, this would be hilarious even if it wouldn't be of much use. I fully support this.

I know this is minor to your point, but the current Gen I tournament that's going on on Battle Spot is giving away Barrier Dragonite as a reward to those who participate.

I know this is minor to your point, but the current Gen I tournament that's going on on Battle Spot is giving away Barrier Dragonite as a reward to those who participate.
What. Please tell me that registration is still open T_T

Last edited:
What. Please tell me that registration is still open T_T

From Serebii the other day:

Registration for the next Battle Competition has begun. This is the Kanto Classic. This competition is a Single Battle competition and runs classic rules where you can only use the original 151 Pokémon aside from Mewtwo and Mew and you cannot use items on your Pokémon as well as only using 6 Pokémon. Registration runs from February 25th through March 3rd while battles run from March 4th through March 6th. All entrants get a special Dragonite
This Dragonite is based on Lance's Dragonite in Red/Green/Blue. It is Level 62 with the ability Inner Focus and the moves Agility, Slam, Barrier & Hyper Beam. Before now, it couldn't learn the move Barrier, despite Lance's Dragonite having that move in Red, Green and Blue

Looks like you still have time!

Looks like you still have time!
Now its all down to Pokemon.com not being bad with retrieving my password--the website recognizes my email to retrieve my username, but doesn't recognize my email to retrieve my password...nor does it let you try to retrieve your password right after retrieving your username >_>

This is an interesting idea...
What if they unlock something in the game?
Perhaps costumes and the like... Not as important as abilities or moves, as you mentioned, but it would still be fun....

This is an interesting idea...
What if they unlock something in the game?
Perhaps costumes and the like... Not as important as abilities or moves, as you mentioned, but it would still be fun....
Yeah, I can't help but wonder if these guys are going to unlock something in Sun and Moon. I mean, we're being encouraged by the Pokemon Direct to transfer them over; it would be great if the VC Pokemon unlocked a sidequest or something in-game. Or maybe we'll get one of the Mega Stones for one of the VC starters or something. It's a thought.

Do you think Gen I VC Pokemon should be given something unique?]

To answer the question simply: No.

But I'm on both sides of the fence on this one.

While I agree having "Retro" abilities would be a very cool addition, and I honestly would like to see something like that happen, I think it's kindof unfair in retrospect as Pokemon who came from the original R/S to OR/AS got nothing but a special certificate. They had to travel from a GBA game, through 2 generations of DS games, onto a 3DS App, and then onto a 3DS game to get a certificate that is, beyond the reward of it...useless. VC Pokemon will already have the unique aspect of possibly knowing Gen I TM moves, which is more than a certificate, and has the potential to be a lot more useful. If they can breed those TM moves onwards, then the reward will be even bigger. But I digress. Maybe the player should get some kind of unique item as a reward, or maybe they could be guaranteed to have their hidden ability, or something to that effect.

Maybe the player should get some kind of unique item as a reward, or maybe they could be guaranteed to have their hidden ability, or something to that effect.
Okay, that would be pretty cool as well. I wouldn't mind that if GF decided to try this route. Or heck, even if they just get a special Ribbon for being transferred from the VC games I'm good with that. It doesn't have to be a whole lot to make me happy.

Though if transferring one unlocked a super-awesome sidequest, I'd be ridiculously happy.

I hope glitch Mews can be transferred, I would love to hoard a box full of them.

And yeah, they should have something special. Maybe HAs.
Considering that the glitch Mews are actually just ordinary Mews themselves, I should not think they would be forbidden. There's nothing wrong with them, the only thing the glitch does is make one appear.

I do however hope they put a ban on Missingno and M. They have to. They didn't get rid of it in the VC releases like I hoped they would, but they absolutely must patch Pokemon Bank to refuse it.

Considering that the glitch Mews are actually just ordinary Mews themselves, I should not think they would be forbidden. There's nothing wrong with them, the only thing the glitch does is make one appear.

I do however hope they put a ban on Missingno and M. They have to. They didn't get rid of it in the VC releases like I hoped they would, but they absolutely must patch Pokemon Bank to refuse it.

I don't know why you would want them removed from the VC versions considering how big a part of Gen 1 culture and history they are, but it goes without saying that they will take glitch Pokémon under consideration when it comes to Bank. I would argue that doing something special with Missingno. (like an easter egg quote à la Spiky-eared Pichu) would be far more interesting than rejecting it with a simple technical message. However, I'm not getting my hopes up.

I hope glitch Mews can be transferred, I would love to hoard a box full of them.

And yeah, they should have something special. Maybe HAs.

I want them to be transferable simply because I've gone through the game with mine - she's a beloved member of my party and I'd be really sad to leave her behind and only transfer the other 5. That said, perhaps there should be some kind of lock that prevent glitch Mews from going onto the GTS. I would never try to pass of my glitch Mew as a legit Mew for trade, but I can see many people doing just that.

I don't know why you would want them removed from the VC versions considering how big a part of Gen 1 culture and history they are, but it goes without saying that they will take glitch Pokémon under consideration when it comes to Bank. I would argue that doing something special with Missingno. (like an easter egg quote à la Spiky-eared Pichu) would be far more interesting than rejecting it with a simple technical message. However, I'm not getting my hopes up.
Because they were never supposed to be a part of Gen 1 to begin with, especially not Missingno and its potential to corrupt data. When it was announced that the VC releases would be able to trade and battle wirelessly, I seriously thought they would have removed Missingno's encounter so as to keep it contained. Glitch Mew also renders the event Mew pointless, so I figured they would have also patched that to incite people to get the event one. In the end I was wrong, but I had good reason to believe that.

I think it's kindof unfair in retrospect as Pokemon who came from the original R/S to OR/AS got nothing but a special certificate. They had to travel from a GBA game, through 2 generations of DS games, onto a 3DS App, and then onto a 3DS game to get a certificate that is, beyond the reward of it...useless.

Ok, I must have missed this, @Lufenian , where does one obtain this certificate on ORAS?

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom