• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen I VC releases teams!

Zeb

what is your spaghetti policy here?
Reaction score
So with the release of the VC games getting closer, I wondered if anyone who was planning on picking them up had thought about their team?

With the games having lots of nostalgia attached I'm interested to see if people plan on replicating the teams they had as a kid (if they remember them)? Or will you just choose a new team, a team made of your favourites or just randomly pick things up as you go?

One I'm certain I'll be using is Venusaur as it's easily my favourite of the three starters. Not sure on the rest right now and I can't remember my team as a kid!

If I am buying one (which depends of what they add as extras in the games) I would probably use Pikachu, the 3 starters, Aerodacrltyl, Gyarados, Arcanine, Pidgeot, Electabuzz, Gengar, Alakazam, Dragonair. I would choose six out of those.

But since I don't know anybody to trade with, Alakazam and Gengar wouldn't count.

I'm debating picking Yellow up, so the chances are my main team will be Pikachu & the starters. I'll probably pick up some others to help with the gym matches, too. I recall Yellow's gym battles being harder than the previous Gen I games.

I'm debating picking Yellow up, so the chances are my main team will be Pikachu & the starters. I'll probably pick up some others to help with the gym matches, too. I recall Yellow's gym battles being harder than the previous Gen I games.
I've heard people saying Yellow lowered the difficulty of some battles. I hope not tbh.

I've heard people saying Yellow lowered the difficulty of some battles. I hope not tbh.

It lowered the levels of the Brock gym battle, but every other gym had increased level/different teams.

I remember Giovanni having some of his teams levels higher than Lorelei's. I think he held the record for highest levels in a non-rematch gym battle until Wulfric, actually.

Im picking Charmander as my first starter. Its a bit more of a challenge for the first two gyms which I dont mind,plus Charmander is one of my favorite Kanto starters.

Other than that,I havent given it much though, maybe I'll consider making my Eevee a Jolteon, which is an Eeveelution Ive never used.

Id also like to try using some Pokemon I never have before, because that makes the game fun. I usually make up my team as I go along.

Last edited:
I think my team from when I was a kid playing Blue was just Blastoise. It's a turtle, so I'll be choosing Squirtle as my starter in Blue just like back then!

I've sort of made a Vulpix/Ninetales character, so I'll be using that.

I think other Pokemon in my Blue team will be Fearow, Jolteon/Vaporeon, and MAYBE Dragonair. Not sure what else after that.

I'll be picking up Yellow as well, so my team for that will probably be Pikachu and the starters.

If I do pick up Red, it'll probably have Charizard, Arcanine, Pidgeot, and maybe some others.

I think it's because starting with Pikachu is even harder than starting with Charmander. Pikachu has I think no way of damaging Brock's Pokemon. It's not effective against LT Surge or Erika, and even struggles with Giovanni at the end.

Of course as always there is help at hand (Mankey lives near Brock, and you should have Charmander by Celadon city etc) but for younger kids who don't know all this, I guess they made it a bit easier level wise (not gameplay wise) early on.

Yellow: Ash's original six, obviously. And in that order. (Pikachu, Caterpie, Pidgeotto, Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle)

Red: I haven't decided yet, but it'll have Charizard as my starter.

Blue: Same here, but with Blastoise.

My team will be:
  • Venusaur
  • Pidgeot
  • Alakazam
  • Lapras
  • Arcanine
  • Pikachu
I'll be getting Pokémon Yellow :p

My pick will be Pokemon Yellow.

I'm going to be really boring and just use Ash's team as a basis but fully evolved (if I can evolve Pikachu that is by trading with a friend.

I might consider replacing Pidgeot and Butterfree though, maybe with Alakazam (if I can get a friend to trade with again) and I was thinking maybe Rhydon just because it's a cool Pokemon I've never had a chance to use before and I think it was something like the first ever Pokemon officially made.

I don't remember anything about my original Red Version team sans Blastoise, so I'll be starting fresh! I plan on catching lots of Pokemon overall, but the main squad will be...

Spr_1y_009.png
Spr_1y_018.png
Spr_1y_026.png
Spr_1y_059.png
Spr_1y_105.png
Spr_1y_115.png

And may heaven help me in finding a Kangaskhan.

I think it's because starting with Pikachu is even harder than starting with Charmander. Pikachu has I think no way of damaging Brock's Pokemon. It's not effective against LT Surge or Erika, and even struggles with Giovanni at the end.

I thought Onix and Geodude were pure rock types in Generation 1? For some reason, I recall bringing down Geodude with Pikachu.

I don't remember my Red or Blue teams, I remember had Bulbasaur and Squirtle as starters, but that's about it.
I'd probably do the boring thing (like a lot of others, it seems) and go with Yellow and use Pikachu + the starters, Pidgeot and something else. Probably Kadabra or Haunter.

Pokemon Yellow: Pikachu, Pidgeot, Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Unknown

Pokemon Red: Venusaur, Pidgeot, Electabuzz, Arcanine, Kingler, Unknown

Pokemon Blue: Blastoise, Pidgeot, Magmar, Sandslash/Dugtrio, Execggutor, Unkown

Not sure about the sixth Pokemon. I'll probably do like I do every game and have a useless pokemon for all the HM moves.

I usually try to have a different team build in each game, with plenty of Pokémon I don't have in any current party, and even one or two which I've never trained before. The current seven-member party builds I'd like to use in the Gen I rereleases include:

RED VERSION: Charmander, Oddish, Slowpoke, Jigglypuff, Diglett, Poliwag and Articuno

BLUE VERSION: Squirtle, Vulpix, Meowth, Nidoran♀, Exeggcute, Paras and Zapdos

YELLOW VERSION: Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Lapras, Snorlax, Nidoran♂, Machop and Moltres

I may also choose Hitmonlee in Red, Hitmonchan in Blue and Charmander in Yellow, which would replace Poliwag/Articuno, Paras/Zapdos and Machop/Moltres, respectively. Or I could juggle eight party members, but I'd rather not go higher than seven in each game. Grindin' be hard in Gen I...

I'm not getting the VC ports, because I still have copies of both Blue and Yellow (I'd consider getting the ports if anyone around me had a 3DS and planned to get them, for trading and battling purposes, but that isn't the case.) however I've started recording a Lets Play of my Pokemon "Complete Blue" romhack so I've already gotten to work on a new team.

As of right now, my team consists of
1) Wartortle
2) Ivysaur
3) Charmeleon
4) Spearow

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom