• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen I VC TM discussion

Lufenium

#1 Wooloo Fan
Reaction score
I realise I'm jumping the gun a lot with this thread, as there is no announcement made regarding this, so Mods feel free to shut this if it's too early/non relevant but...

If Pokemon RBY Virtual Console releases are compatible with Pokemon Bank (potentially via an updated Transporter app), and we're able to fetch our Pokemon from them to Gen VI, then we have a situation where Gen I Pokemon can fetch moves that they could learn via old TMs to a modern gameplay environment.

Moves such as Sky Attack, Mega Kick/Punch and Pay Day would be easily available again, at least to Gen I Pokemon, not just via tutoring or breeding. What do you think about this possibility?

Bulbapedia page on TMs.

*uses Revive*

So with Bank compatability confirmed for R/B/Y VC in today's Pokemon Direct, I feel it was giving this a bump. More details on that here. Pokémon Bank | Pokémon Video Games

I'm looking forward to bringing back some of the old TMs into a modern gameplay environment through Bank! This may well open up a lot of possibilities for breeding moves, too.

No Guard Fissure Machamp may well now be a thing!

This could probably go in the SM section, no? They are only going to be available in SM.

I saw No Guard Fissure Machamp and Serene Grace Tri Attack Blissey brought up as two of the biggest winners.

This could probably go in the SM section, no? They are only going to be available in SM.

Possibly, maybe one of the nice mods will move it for us. Other threads have made the migration.

I saw No Guard Fissure Machamp and Serene Grace Tri Attack Blissey brought up as two of the biggest winners.

It's going to make for a very interesting turn of events come next gen.

Psywave Butterfree will finally become a thing again.

Netto Azure mentioned that now we can get Mega Kangaskhan with body slam.

If Masuda intended to nerf Mega Kang, this was not the way.
Even if there's such a thing as Retro Abilities, they won't change abilities gained through Mega Evolution.

Perhaps Game Freak will simply not let Gen I TMs be passed on through breeding? At least then it would be near impossible to get a good Kangaskhan without hours of investment.

Though I wish they would because I just want to see the whole world burn.

Netto Azure mentioned that now we can get Mega Kangaskhan with body slam.

If Masuda intended to nerf Mega Kang, this was not the way.
We've already had Body Slam Mega Kangaskhan. Body Slam was a Move Tutor Move in FRLG and XD.

*uses Revive*

No Guard Fissure Machamp may well now be a thing!

If I had to guess, I'm willing to bet they will do something to nerf it, either with a fixed, less useful ability defaulting for traded 'mons or some other way. Also, the lack of breeding will hinder the usefulness of the Gen 1 TM's as it has already been noted, breeding is a bitch and takes a while to get worthwhile stats/natures. However, you never know what they might do to reward us nostalgic suckas who have shelled out time and money, money being the more important of the two, into the virtual consoles and also purchased Sun and/or Moon

For No Guard Fissure they can probably just program it so that No Guard doesn't work with OHKO moves. That's if they even see this problem coming, they've been a bit shortsighted with some of their previous choices.

They might lock them like they locked the shiny rayqauza because of move he knew. I imagine you would have to unlearn the moves - or it might warn you that it will change when you transfer it to the other game to fit the changes made to pokemon. Like creatures who became fairy type after the first generation but were generation one pokemon. I am thinking...that transfering them from generation one will not be as inticiing as it seems. It would almost be better to just keep the ones you earned in latter games.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom