• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen V Disapointment

Re: Appreciating Each Generation

I like those games. I really do. But they certainly aren't the masterpieces that everyone made them out to be before and during the release. My hopes were too high. Next time, I won't be so easily excited.

I like those games. I really do. But they certainly aren't the masterpieces that everyone made them out to be before and during the release. My hopes were too high. Next time, I won't be so easily excited.

Well, it seems kind of a stretch to call them a huge disappointment. Oh well. You're entitled to your own opinion. I just wanted to know why you thought that way.

You know, I think the same thing happened to me, but with Diamond and Pearl. Forgive me if I don't remember correctly because I've been away from the Pokemon world for years, but Diamond and Pearl were the first Gen for the DS, correct? I was SO excited about them, that it was a huge letdown.

I didn't play any Pokemon between then and now. So, I was completely out of the loop on B/W and didn't participate in the "hype" at all. To me, everything about this Gen feels new, fresh, unexpected. I had no high expectations, or, indeed, expectations of any kind. ;-) I guess it's in how much we expect, and not on how good the games are or not. I'm sure Diamond and Pearl are great games, but I got my hopes up so high there was no way they wouldn't be dashed. :sweatlol: Guess this is what happened to you with Gen V.

Yeah, its kinda hard to explain the feeling. I felt kinda robbed because the games weren't as god as I expeced them to be. Still better than Gen II and I though. Maybe its because this was the first generation where I foolwed the release and speculation before the actual release since I wasn't a user here or anywhere else until after DP were released.

I have no clue if this has been stated or not, but I think they're going to do a pattern.

Gen I, they had a new pokedex (obviously). Gen II, they introduced Prevolutions but no new evolutions. Gen III for the most part was new with a few additions, and Gen IV had a metric butt ton of final evolutions. Then in Gen V, they introduced a completely new pokedex.

What I think they'll do next is add a bunch of prevolutions to the Gen V Pokemon, then add a few more, then add a bunch of final evolutions.

I just thought that it was interesting. Unova is supposed to be seperated from all other regions, though.

Going with the train of thought that's been going on the last few posts, I'm surprisingly disappointed with Gen V myself. I got the game right after the 3DS came out because my old DS was dying and I figured I'd wait. Therefore, I talked to a lot of people and every single one of them without fail said this was the greatest Pokemon game ever and that it far and away blew away every game that came before it. I was skeptical, but I figured maybe Nintendo finally changed up the formula.

Honestly these games don't feel any different to me at all. That's not to say they're bad games, but about 15-20 instances of:
Me: Are these games as different from the previous ones as everyone says?
Other Person: Yeah! They're completely different!
...I feel a bit let down. And these are all people who, like me, have played through all five generations. I don't know how they got things so wrong--they're all fairly smart people--but this game just feels like the same stuff boxed up again.

Though that's not to say that I'm not enjoying it. I like some of the fresh new takes on story and seeing some new Pokemon running around. I really only have a few complaints, one of which was the above "they sure as heck don't live up to the hype" one.

The second complaint, and I feel this is a bigger one than has been made out in this thread, is that they stripped the touch screen of pretty much any useful functionality. I haven't used the C-Gear so I don't actually know how touch-friendly that is, but I mean come on. I shouldn't have to revert to the buttons to open the menu, then switch back to the stylus. I could play SoulSilver with the D-pad and the stylus, no buttons needed. I know not everyone likes the touch screen, but that should've at least been an OPTION in this game. You were given the option of using only buttons in HG/SS, so it's not like they couldn't have done it the exact same way.

I've seen the argument that HG/SS were developed by a different team and that they were done simultaneously and all that, but to me it's pretty unacceptable. The DS has been out for 7 years now. To see a mainstream Nintendo title flagrantly ignore its original selling point is pretty disheartening. I've effectively reverted to ignoring the touch screen entirely and just pushing buttons, which irritates me additionally because I have to hit a button once to make the cursor appear on any menu.

Okay, now that that's all out of my system I realize it's a pretty trivial thing. Other trivial things I'd like to add:

1) Some Pokemon are too similar to older ones. Not necessarily design-wise, either. I like Roggenrola, for example, but when I found out how similar it was to the Geodude evolutionary line I lost a bit of respect for it.

2) Maybe I was just unlucky with numbers, but it seems like most of my starting Pokemon were terrible. I had to do a lot of grinding to get past the second gym. Then after that it was pretty much smooth sailing.

3) There are plenty of bad names in past generations (as everyone's argued), but I feel like some of the names in this generation are some of the worst. The good ones are really good (Galvantula <3), but the bad ones are just really bad. Throh and Sawk, for example. At least Seel didn't try to disguise its obvious lack of creativity.

The number of features that were removed or changed for worst ones. Like pokethon/contests being taken out in favor of musicals, or time exclusive pokemon being removed, or berry trees, or following pokémon, or gym leader rematches... And the list goes on.

I'm with Ranger Jack Walker here. The games were great, but not as great as they were purported to be. You beat the Elite 4 for the second time, and there's a whole lot of nothing. There's nothing to aspire to further, really. It's really kind of disappointing, to be honest.

For me, the games were quite good. Roughly what I was expecting from following some of the leaks over the last year.

While I did have some disappointments (no berries? an old-school touch menu and clunky item bag?), I really enjoyed the games overall, and are the only new games to date that I've purchased both versions and started playing both.

However, I am the type of player who begins to lose interest after the Elite Four. Outside of building the 'dex and maybe completing a few side-missions, I'm done. So for me, the lack of post-game stuff was fine.

It was time to see some new faces. I am quite glad myself that they made a whole new seemingly "world", with no connections to the previous ones in the original plot line. It's like a new Pokemon world in itself - even by just being a region - it gives me the same thrill as if I was playing Pokemon Red for the first time. The new species and evolutions were innovative, to say the least. I disagree on their choice of naming (English) but the concepts were good enough for me.

Seems to me like a big problem people have had with Gen 5 is that it was hyped up way too much.

Seems to me like a big problem people have had with Gen 5 is that it was hyped up way too much.

I don't think there was too much hype, though. Sure, it was a big deal, but gamers should have learned by now that these games won't bring anything amazing to the table.

Last edited:
The names just seemed like a poisoned Pokemon in a battle, struggling to win... it just wasn't as effective.

As for the hype, I admit, it was really hyped - months before release. But the most hype I saw was after the Japanese release. Considering the fact that the people who bought it from Japanese stores already had seen the game (hardcore gamers probably finishing it within a few days), the word of the game probably spread to everyone else. The drastic graphical changes and the vast amount of possibilities in this game were bound to have some hype.

Exactly. I love the games but damn they were so over hyped.

What you experienced was pretty much what I experienced with Generation IV. The overhype for new evolutions and pre-evolutions for past generation Pokemon proved to be disappointing, at least for me.

I don't have any major disappointment with this generation, it's just that I'm disappointed with myself by spoiling. I did a good job though, I managed to discover a few new Pokemon through the game. My goal for next generation is to avoid post-release information. Maybe even pre-release.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom