• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen V Disapointment

I disagree. Black and White are some of the most replay-friendly entries in the franchise, unfortunately due it's largely limited post-E4 playability so far as the story is concerned. The Plasma plot is intriguing, while Bel, Cheren and N have some of the best personalities yet, and because of the 150 new critters, it's actually pretty fun to make more in-game teams. Add this to the fact that there's very little you can do once you've beat the game unless you competitively battle on wifi and you have pretty solid replay value. Compared to BW, HGSS really doesn't have much of a plot (of course, it might win over it, but purely due to nostalgia) and you're better off investing all those post-E4 hours in the Frontier in both HGSS and Plat rather than Up+Select+B-ing on the title screen.
Nope, it takes me only 20 hours or so to finish the "plot" and beat the elite four since i always use only four pokes in my team..
The situation is completely different in hg where the adventure till red battle lasts for some 50 or more hours..
I think u missunderstood the meaning of replayability..
It means starting the game again from scratch..
I have already played my white game 6 times in a matter of 2 months(because its so short) and i'm hell bored of it..

You're arguing the opposite case: there is hardly any replay value after you beat the E4. Why would you go on and continue when there is hardly anything to do?
That's not 'replay value'. Replay = starting all over with zero hours on the timer.

Nope, it takes me only 20 hours or so to finish the "plot" and beat the elite four since i always use only four pokes in my team..
The situation is completely different in hg where the adventure till red battle lasts for some 50 or more hours..
I think u missunderstood the meaning of replayability..
It means starting the game again from scratch..
I have already played my white game 6 times in a matter of 2 months(because its so short) and i'm hell bored of it..
I've not misunderstood what replaying means. I'm simply saying that because there is not much to do when you're done with the game, it pays off to replay it more than ever (... at least more than Emerald/Platinum/HGSS). Of course you'd get bored once you've played the game six times over in as short a time span as that between the Black and White release window and now - that's bound to happen to every game. Even if I'd try to replay Ocarina of Time or Final Fantasy VI over six times in that time span, I would eventually be so bored of it that I'd detest the game and never pick it up. One more thing: of the 50 odd hours you said you spend on HGSS, the Rocket 'plot' (if you could call it that) is pretty much over in the first fifteen at most. Through the rest of the game, you're just making your way through towns and cities, challenging gyms and following the good old routine - you might find this interesting, like I said, usually due to nostalgic inference - but this does not decide the replay value of the game itself.

Last edited:
That's not 'replay value'. Replay = starting all over with zero hours on the timer.

I've not misunderstood what replaying means. I'm simply saying that because there is not much to do when you're done with the game, it pays off to replay it more than ever (... at least more than Emerald/Platinum/HGSS). Also, of course you'd get bored once you've played the game six times over. One more thing: of the 50 odd hours you said you spend on HGSS, the Rocket 'plot' (if you could call it that) is pretty much over in the first fifteen at most. Through the rest of the game, you're just making your way through towns and cities, challenging gyms and following the good old routine - you might find this interesting, like I said, usually due to nostalgic inference - but this does not decide the replay value of the game itself.

I dont think that having to battle fools screaming "plasmmaaaaaaaa" again and again is "fun"..
They are incredibily weak and repeatitive..

I dont think that having to battle fools screaming "plasmmaaaaaaaa" again and again is "fun"..
They are incredibily weak and repeatitive..
Just so you know, so is the rest of the game. At least the plot is intriguing.

I disagree. It's good to know that the company tried out a new style of making Pokémon.

PikachuTrainer: nevertheless, coming back to the game after you've beaten the elite four and not restarting is quite boring. I've gone back to Gen IV already.

lol replay value. Such an overestimated aspect... and completely missing the point in Pokémon. I fail to see what's wrong with Black/White's post-game. I rather have a short post-game, or none at all, than have a dragged on, boring and pointless post-game like GSC/HGSS. The only time they did post-game content right was in 4th Gen, and that was only Platinum. FRLG gets a special mention too.

Oh well, to each their own. I'm not going back to 4th Gen thanks to its Shuckle gameplay speed. I might if I end up caving in and getting HeartGold for the lulz, but other than that, 5th Gen is way better as far as I'm concerned.

PikachuTrainer: nevertheless, coming back to the game after you've beaten the elite four and not restarting is quite boring.
This is what I've been saying. Since playing the game without restarting is very boring, restarting is actually a more viable option.

The only time they did post-game content right was in 4th Gen, and that was only Platinum. FRLG gets a special mention too.
Don't forget Emerald. :p That Battle Frontier was actually a lot more fun than the one in Platinum.

I think on some level we shouldn't be expecting a great after game for the first two games.

So that way they can market "THIS NEW SHINY UPGRADED GAME" for the third version.

Uhhh I am a little disapointed by GEN 5 as from the Poke so from the games!

As for the Pokemons I love almost all gen5 pokemons but I hoped for at least some evos and pre evos! As for a Spinda evolustion, i wanted a male combee evolution(what was excpected by the way they introduced the gym, honey walls, and no combee), and of course we needed a eeveeloution (Poison or dragon would be great!)

As for the games: it was boring to play them! I played as well Black and white and it was just nice to capture my fav Pokes but that's it! The game was to linear the HM U didn't needed to make it through the game! I missed the complex Platinum storyline where U couldn't go anywhere before U do some missions to move on!! the Unova region had a nice structure but was poorly done! then the GYMS: their teams were pretty weak an easy to beat, as well as the rivals and team plasma as well as N! . Hope they make it better in the 3rd game!

As for the Pokemons I love almost all gen5 pokemons but I hoped for at least some evos and pre evos! As for a Spinda evolustion, i wanted a male combee evolution(what was excpected by the way they introduced the gym, honey walls, and no combee), and of course we needed a eeveeloution (Poison or dragon would be great!)

I think part of what made this game so great was that it wasn't dependent upon the previous generations at all -- it's a standalone. Part of that was casting off pre-evos and evos.

As for the games: it was boring to play them! I played as well Black and white and it was just nice to capture my fav Pokes but that's it! The game was to linear the HM U didn't needed to make it through the game! I missed the complex Platinum storyline where U couldn't go anywhere before U do some missions to move on!! the Unova region had a nice structure but was poorly done! then the GYMS: their teams were pretty weak an easy to beat, as well as the rivals and team plasma as well as N! . Hope they make it better in the 3rd game!

I would argue that these games' plot was more convoluted than any of its predecessors

Loved the plot and the music (which is probably my favorite out of the series right now, excluding some Kanto).

However:
*I didn't like half of the Pokemon.
*The after-story is boring after getting strong enough to catch the Flaming Moth of Doom and Icy Dragon of Villager Eating.
*I was extremely disappointed when the story ended, but I think that's only because it was amazing.
*There's too little to do in Chargestone Cave, because it's one of the coolest locations.
*My game doesn't update where Thunderous is correctly most of the time, and if it does, he decides "Hey, screw you, goodbye now!" and doesn't show even if it's storming.
*White Forest: What the heck? The only person I know who has BW got it at least 3 weeks after me, so it was basically useless for both of us.
*Dreamworld was a good idea, but the perks for the Japanese are frustrating to me since I have to choose extremely carefully which 50 Pokemon I want to transfer instead of having unlimited.
**The 24 hour time isn't too great either, because I accidentally closed the tab and it kicked me out until the next day.

lol replay value. Such an overestimated aspect... and completely missing the point in Pokémon. I fail to see what's wrong with Black/White's post-game. I rather have a short post-game, or none at all, than have a dragged on, boring and pointless post-game like GSC/HGSS. The only time they did post-game content right was in 4th Gen, and that was only Platinum. FRLG gets a special mention too.

Oh well, to each their own. I'm not going back to 4th Gen thanks to its Shuckle gameplay speed. I might if I end up caving in and getting HeartGold for the lulz, but other than that, 5th Gen is way better as far as I'm concerned.

The problem is that there is no post game in bw..
The only thing there is to beat cynthia and alder..
Yes bw is faster but thats it..
Even training pokes for competitive battling is difficult..Why?
Because they removed usefull tms like roost and focus punch and put in completely useless tms..

This is what I've been saying. Since playing the game without restarting is very boring, restarting is actually a more viable option.

Playing a game again right from scratch is really boring tbh, whatever the game be. Especially those games with a specific plot.

Sure, you could try raising a different team for your second play-through but you're basically just doing the same thing all over again.

That's why more post-game content > replay value imo.

*There's too little to do in Chargestone Cave, because it's one of the coolest locations.

I second this -- Chargestone Cave has the greatest graphics in the game, and they under-utilize that location!

*White Forest: What the heck? The only person I know who has BW got it at least 3 weeks after me, so it was basically useless for both of us.

I couldn't agree more. I never used White Forest and I never plan to.

*Dreamworld was a good idea, but the perks for the Japanese are frustrating to me since I have to choose extremely carefully which 50 Pokemon I want to transfer instead of having unlimited.

Why couldn't they have made it unlimited? It's not like you're going to increase the server stress at all by removing it from the server. I was very disappointed when I learned about that.

Playing a game again right from scratch is really boring tbh, whatever the game be. Especially those games with a specific plot.

Sure, you could try raising a different team for your second play-through but you're basically just doing the same thing all over again.

That's why more post-game content > replay value imo.
True that. Too bad there's too little to do after the credits roll. :p

And yes, Chargestone Cave should've been more expansive. I can't speak for White Forest since I haven't played White, but it looks rather useless on paper.

True that. Too bad there's too little to do after the credits roll. :p

And yes, Chargestone Cave should've been more expansive. I can't speak for White Forest since I haven't played White, but it looks rather useless on paper.

Yeeeeesssss, white forest is horrible..
If i dont talk to the fools living there every 2 days, they start dissapearing along with the grass..
Oh, but you can always call some people from black city right?
Wrong!
You need someone with black around you..
I dont think there is anyone like that within 200 kms from where i live..
THEREFORE IF THEY DISSAPEAR, THEY WILL NEVER REAPPEAR AGAIN!!!
I am sure they didnt allow this over the wifi, so that more and more people buy the game..
STUPID GF AND THEIR MONEY-MINDED APPROACH

I have a few gripes about Black City/White Forest, but my sister has Black, so we don't have many problems.
I was majorly disappointed when I found out that Alomomola wasn't a Luvdisc evo. Luvdisc sucks so much, it needs an evolution.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom