• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen V has officially become underated

The fact the this gen is the first to have sequels isn't enough to make it memorable, every gen has had at least one 3D arena game the fact that this gen probably won't have an arena game or R/S/E remakes would make this gen easily overlookable in the future

Huh? Why? I don't understand why this Generation won't be memorable, just because there isn't a re-make, or spin-off, yet. Please, give us more information.

I heard gen V is ending in 2013

It isn't. 3DS owners want it to end, but there is no evidence pointing towards it.

Generation V will most likely last 4 years, like the others.
The only generations that have lasted four years had a third version (in this generation, replaced by sequels) and remakes. There's no evidence for the latter, whereas an early Genesect reveal means that it is not the hidden Movie 16 co-star that will be revealed in February. Since there is no other Pokemon left to fill that role, then it means there's going to be a new Pokemon. Yes, it can be an old Pokemon like when old Pokemon co-star with event legendaries, but in these scenarios, the event legendaries weren't revealed in the previews and were only revealed early the following year with the full movie title. The mere fact that Genesect is being revealed now (and Meloetta being put in a movie short) indicates that they are moving the last of this generation's surprises out of the way because there's something else going to be advertised in next year's movie, and it's going to be something bigger than an "unrevealed Gen V Pokémon". The only thing bigger than that is a new Pokemon that ushers in the start of a new generation.

Second, the BW2 Iwata Asks interviews demonstrated Iwata's slight annoyance at Game Freak still sticking to the DS, and told them that they had to do something new if they intended to release another set of games on it (i.e., the sequels). Game Freak has also had the 3DS development kit since before BW's announcement, which actually led many people to believe BW would be on the 3DS. Finally, the usual September release for games in 2013 means that Pokemon will be released 31 months into the 3DS's lifespan--note that it took two years for Pokemon to jump to the DS. So it is not too soon for Game Freak to move to the 3DS, and they have had more time with the 3DS development kit than other publishers. There is no reason to split the generation between two consoles with an RSEmake, if they were going to do that, they'd have jumped to the 3DS for BW2 given that the Iwata Asks interview also showed that Game Freak were stumped at how to "make this fresh" before thinking of sequels, making the 3DS jump the easy way out. Since they didn't do it, there's obviously no intention to do so.. Finally, remakes never sell as well as main series games, and with their install base on the DS, it would sell even less. For Game Freak to get a reasonable amount of remake sales, they'll first need to convince their fans to move to the 3DS. You see, it's not simply "fans who own a 3DS" that is saying this. If you actually look at what's happening, its quite obvious. Oh, and btw, I don't have a 3DS and still don't intend to buy one, and even I can see this.

People who are saying its going to last four years are only saying it simply because they perceive two points as an unbreakable pattern, when the conditions that led the past two generations to last four years haven't been met in this one. I've never actually seen a reason as to why this generation would last four years other than people saying "Well, if remakes were released...."

As others have said, the lack of spin-offs and/or remakes doesn't make a generation underrated, it's the features that do. In Gen 5's case though, the features in BW and B2W2 is what make this generation stand out from the rest. Most people(i.e. close-minded nostalgia freaks) , in fact over-rate Gen 5, because of the Pokemon and trainer's designs. In reality, they're not underrated or overrated.

Also, what source do you have that says gen 5 will end in 2013? And if it does, then why does it matter? Not every generation has to last 4 years. This gen may be a short-lived one, or they my come up with a spin off or two, but that doesn't make 5th gen not memorable or underrated.

If you base a Generation's rating on Spin-Offs, what do you rate Gen I at? IGN called Pokemon Conquest "the most fully realized spin-off in existence" (I think that's who said it) anyways. And how is a Generation where they have released more Pokemon than ever before not good? If you're using underrated as what it really means (meaning it's good, but lots of people don't think it is) then I have to agree. If underrated means memorable, I'll have to disagree there.

I happen to really like B/W. I find it the best generation besides the first generation (but that's because that's when Pokemon was fresh and new). I also like that it's not on the 3DS yet because I, personally, can't afford one. As for spin-off games, there are some: Pokemon Conquest and Pokedex 3D. I would like for them to come out with a game similar to Battle Revolution, but even if they don't come out with one that doesn't make it underrated.

And with that out of the way, remakes or spin-off games are not what make a generation memorable. It should be the main series games that make the generation memorable. B/W and B2/W2 have already done this for Gen V.
Remakes are main series games, I think you'll find. HGSS and FRLG are definitely not spin-offs.

Anyway, just as anyone else has been saying, spin-offs definitely do not determine whether or not a Pokemon generation should end earlier or later. That's up to Game Freak. If they want to end Gen V next year, they will. Who cares if they haven't done Ranger 4 or MD3 yet - let's just look forward to the main series games.

B2W2 were underrated (36/40, my butt)

No remakes, Few spin-offs (Conquest, Rumble Blast, and PokéPark 2)
Perhaps when they said "start from a new beginning", they meant it. Even G1 had spinoffs (Pinball and Stadium)

And besides, the Black/White games are plenty memorable. Maybe not everyone likes them, but I think they're amazing.

Remakes are main series games, I think you'll find. HGSS and FRLG are definitely not spin-offs.

I'm quite aware that FRLG and HGSS are not spin-offs. When did I say that they were spin-offs?

Sure, they're main series games...from a previous generation. Therefore, they shouldn't be used to make the current generation memorable.

This isn't in response to who I quoted, but in general, I'm getting the impression that some people are completely forgetting that the main series games are practically the foundation of the franchise. If they don't strive to make each main series game stand on it's own, then how do you think their remakes and spin-offs will turn out? This is why I can't understand why some people want RSE remakes before the Gen VI main series games. It will be quite troubling if Gamefreak has to resort to relying on the success of a past generation to make the current generation "memorable." Yes, remakes and spin-offs have their own merits, but by no means should they be used to define a generation.

Last edited:
I think this is a rushed generation rather than an under-rated one. We do know that Nintendo's 3DS is struggling and its predecessor is at the end of it's lifecycle. If Game Freak delay it so that they could include the 3D gimmick for the 3DS (along with improving the resolution, thought it wasn't that much of an improvement on the handheld itself), then the lifecycle of the generation, along with the quality of it, would improve drastically. But since it was on a DYING HANDHELD, it's guarantee that it would cut short.

This generation has been called a breath of fresh air in my cases and received very well by many critics.

Perhaps you were thinking of Hoenn or something and got the two mixed up... somehow. It may not have a 3D battle game (yet) but if you ask me, that would just make Gen 5 stand out even more. We got one of the best spin-offs ever IMO, and we got sequels and a deeper storyline.

Gen 5 will always be remembered as the most unpredictable of the Generations so far.

It's underrated in the sense that it didn't come out for a new handheld thus it felt too same-y to DP.

Although DP might now wind up being the most underrated gen.

The meaning of the word "underrated" has seemingly gone lost among fandoms, I can barely decipher in which way it's being used anymore... Supposedly the fifth generation will be one remake and one year shorter than the last two, will this make it less memorable? To me the main series weights twice the spin-offs/remakes in how memorable of a generation it becomes, and GF substituted BWagainwithnewstuff with a sequel & ranger/whatever with a cross over, quite memorable moves in GF's history of otherwise repeating patterns.

I agree with most of the posters here saying that Gen V is not "underated".

I am looking forward to how Game Freak will proceed with the Gen III remakes if they even decide to do them. Two more DS games after B/W2 might be better for profit, but may come off as lacking. On the other hand, remakes are never on a different console than the current Gen. But again, that's if they decide to do Gen III remakes, which honestly is less needed now than previous remakes.

Truthfully though, I would be slightly disappointed if there is no Gen V Mystery Dungeon game, as those games (at least the Gen IV ones) had better stories than the main series and an interesting battle system.

Who is the one giving official status to this idiocity? No one, thankfully.

Underrated does not mean what you think it does, and frankly, it's a really wonderful generation, the main series games, aka, the games that make the generation, essentially, are wonderfully and masterfully done, THEY are the most memorable games this franchise has produced, sure, everyone has their own feelings and oppinions about this, but it is undeniable that what they have done to characters and to the plot in this generation is in a completely different level than before.

Why are people not judging this generation, based on its own merits? Let's try to be fair, shall we?

Last edited:
Ranger and Mystery Dungeon suck extremely hard in my opinion so I don't care if they never get a BW version or something like that. I only care about the main line and the 3D arena battling game, which is the one I've been patiently waiting for since Black and White got released.

With the Zoroark bug exposed along with a few other glitches in BW2, Gen V has indeed become underrated. No need for the lack of Mystery Dungeon and Ranger games for this reason.

inconceivable.jpg

I think the word you're looking for here is maybe "under-developed" or something. To me, it seems like Gen V is one of the more popular sets of games in the franchise. I personally care extremely little for spin-off titles. I haven't played an arena battler since Stadium 2. I think a lot of the hate that Gen V is getting is coming from nostalgia-oriented fans of the earlier generations, or from those who wanted to see the generation on the 3DS. Truthfully, I wanted to see it go there, too, but I don't think it's anything to get all up in arms about.

Anyway, yes, the gaming community as a whole needs to shift its perspective of what makes a good game, and how highly games should be rated. It's actually a bit ridiculous that people are upset that these games got 36/40 in that rating. It's still a great rating, and it probably didn't deserve such a high rating. I'm not saying that the games are bad at all, but they're not 9 out of 10 material here.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom