• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen V split from I - IV, role reversals

Ohh dear, guys, let's not bring yet another Gen War here. D8;

A reboot a la RS sounds great to me, since it means not whoring out all the Kanto Pokemon, which is why Johto suffers so much, as lovely region it is.

Still manages to overuse it.

Also the idea of splitting the fandom into a broken base sandwich is actually kind of funny. The nostalgia fans, the new age GenV and over fans and the middle child Gen III and IV who I haven't really thought up a name for yet.

id say the middle child fans are gen III only and that gen IV fans are part of the new age group rather than the middle child group.

that and i dont want a generetion as good as gen III to be paired with such a crappy gen as gen IV.

Let's see, they said "IT IS GOING TO BE A FRESH START WITH EVERYTHING BEING NEW AND FLASHY DESSUUU?", right?

Yeah, Gen V bashing, here we come!

It will be backwards compatible with gen. 4 though, and since the event beast trio unlocks something in Black/White it should have some connection to previous generations. I think saying it will be a fresh start is just a way to to build up hype. Every new generation has been a fresh start in some sense of the phrase.

Last edited:
I`m not against it but i don`t want people to take away the good points of the gen(any of them) just because they couldn`t use the same ol favourites to own the gym leaders like they always do

A Regional Dex of at least 300 is what we need, imo.
Lately you have to see or complete the entire Regional Dex to unlock certain parts of the game.
No Thanks.

I already said it here; 100-150 new pokemon in Black and White; 50-100 more in later Generation 5 games.

New Monsters all around, everyone's happy.

Black and White are compatible with RSEFRLG and DPPtHGSS, so that's at least 600 obtainable Pokemon by the end of the year.

But I have no interest in making all of the old pokemon unobtainable like in RS.

I think saying it will be a fresh start is just a way to to build up hype. Every new generation has been a fresh start in some sense of the phrase.

You're Correct, but DP and RS weren't advertised and promoted as a "fresh start" or a "new beginning", etc etc.

The fact that's it's being blatantly stated by someone like Matsuda means alot.

Lately you have to see or complete the entire Regional Dex to unlock certain parts of the game.
No Thanks.
Well, remove that function.

Problem solved.

You're Correct, but DP and RS weren't advertised and promoted as a "fresh start" or a "new beginning", etc etc.

The fact that's it's being blatantly stated by someone like Matsuda means alot.

I'm just saying, It already seems like less of a fresh start then ruby and sapphire since it is backwards compatable.

Even if it isn't explicitly stated they start off every generation with a "Its a brand new world we live in!... do-do-do do do-do, do-do-do do do-do" sort of attitude.

I don't think I would mind this sort of thing at all. It gives the tired Pokémon a chance to seem less tired.

The people who go "NO OLD POKEMON!? *clutches pearls*" make me giggle. How do they think the series started? I think it would be interesting to go back to basics.

Johto suffered immensely due to overpopulation of Kanto-native 'mons. It could have been more than it was had it not had that problem, as much as I love it. And I do; it's my favorite.

I enjoy making teams of Pokémon I've never used before. I'm not saying we should get RID of all the previous Pokémon. I just think in the first part of the game, pre-E4, I don't think it would be a terrible idea.

The people who go "NO OLD POKEMON!? *clutches pearls*" make me giggle. How do they think the series started? I think it would be interesting to go back to basics.

As I recall, it didn't start with forgetting 493 older species in favour of 150 new ones.

Also, how is it "going back to basics"? The basics would be scrapping anything past Mew, taking away Abilities, Natures and held items and changing IV's back to a range of 0-15. Scrapping the old for a completely new set of Pokemon isn't going back to basics.

I don't see why we couldn't combine the two ideas, allow replacements during the first portion of the game and add the pal park as well as post-national dex pokemon from previous generations.

Pal Park concept has been announced already, it seems quite ideal to me.

I don't see why we couldn't combine the two ideas, allow replacements during the first portion of the game and add the pal park as well as post-national dex pokemon from previous generations.

Pal Park concept has been announced already, it seems quite ideal to me.
Ignoring the fact they are both on the DS, thus you need two DS's to connect the two games.

id say the middle child fans are gen III only and that gen IV fans are part of the new age group rather than the middle child group.

that and i dont want a generetion as good as gen III to be paired with such a crappy gen as gen IV.

Gen IV is the best Gen since II.

Black and White are compatible with RSEFRLG

If you mean using a gen IV game as a medium, then yes. Otherwise, you have no proof. The fact that they're on the DS does not mean it's directly compatible with RSEFRLG.

EDIT:
I'd say the middle child fans are Gen III only and that Gen IV fans are part of the new age group rather than the middle child group.

That and I don't want a generation as good as Gen III to be paired with such a crappy gen as Gen IV.
What do you mean by "middle child"? If you mean preteens/teenagers why don't you just say so? Same goes with "new age group"; are you talking about 6-10 Also, what you say is very off. I got my 1st pokemon game (Diamond) when I was 10 years old, and I'm continuing to stick with the series (I'm 14 now). Also, I fixed your grammar.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom