• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen V Water/Electric Type Team

GSP

No sh*t Sherlock
Reaction score
I got appointed to Gym Leader on another forum and I can only use Water and/or Electric Type Pokemon.

The Rules:
~All Clauses
~No Legendaries or Ubers whatsoever.
~If I have a Pokemon of both types (i.e. a Lanturn), I can have another Pokemon of my choice that fits into the rules.

So here's what I came up with.

Lead- Jolteon
Nature: Timid (-Sp. Atk, +Spd)
Ability: Volt Absorb
Item: Damp Rock
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
~Rain Dance
~Thunder
~Hidden Power [Grass]
~Volt Switch

With DrizzleToed being banned, I had to use Jolteon with it's amazing Speed to get up Rain Dance on the first turn (unless I'm up against a max Speed Crobat). Anyway, Rain Dance makes Thunder's accuracy 100%. HP Grass hits Ground-types. Volt Switch gets heavy damage and a free switch in.

Special Attacker (Electric)- Lanturn
Nature: Calm (-Atk, +Sp. Def)
Ability:Volt Absorb
Item: Need help here
EVs: 252 Def / 204 Sp. Def / 52 HP
~Scald
~Ice Beam
~Heal Bell
~Thunderbolt

Burns are always nice. Unless I get burned :(. Thunderbolt for other STAB. Ice Beam for coverage. Heal Bell for support.

Spinner/Stealth Rocker- Kabutops
Nature: Impish (-Sp. Atk, +Def)
Ability: Swift Swim
Item: Shell Bell
EVs:252 HP / 68 Atk / 184 Def
~Stealth Rock
~Rapid Spin
~Waterfall
~Rock Slide

Stealth Rock is almost pretty much essential in every team. Rapid Spin gets rid of any hazards. Waterfall and Rock Slide are both for STAB with the bonus of both being able to flinch your opponents.

Physical Attacker (Electric)- Electivire
Nature: Jolly (-Sp. Atk, +Spd)
Ability: Motor Drive
Item: Expert Belt
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
~Wild Charge
~Ice Punch
~Fire Punch
~Earthquake

I love this Pokemon. With this set, almost every type gets super-effective damage from Electivire. Wild Charge for STAB, Fire and Ice Punch for coverage, and Earthquake for even more coverage :p

Physical Attacker (Water)- Kingdra
Nature: Adamant (-Sp. Atk, +Atk)
Ability: Swift Swim
Item: Lum Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~Rain Dance
~Dragon Dance
~Waterfall
~Outrage

I call this set the Dancing Kingdra. Rain Dance to activate Swift Swim and Dragon Dance to raise its Attack and Speed +1. Waterfall and Outrage as powerful STABs and a Lum Berry to get rid of any status problems, mainly the confusion Outrage causes.

Cleaner- I'm stuck here. I want to choose between the 2 following sets:

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Nature: Timid (-Atk, +Spd)
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
~Hurricane
~Quiver Dance
~Bug Buzz
~Fiery Dance / Fire Blast / Substitute

OR

Toxicroak @ Leftovers
Nature: Adamant (-Sp. Atk, +Atk)
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs:244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def
~Bulk Up
~Substitute
~Drain Punch
~Sucker Punch

Well here it is. Leave suggestions on what I should change.

Thanks in advance,
GSP :-D

Last edited:
I got appointed to Gym Leader on another forum and I can only use Water and/or Electric Type Pokemon.

The Rules:
~All Clauses
~No Legendaries or Ubers whatsoever.
~If I have a Pokemon of both types (i.e. a Lanturn), I can have another Pokemon of my choice that fits into the rules.

So here's what I came up with.

Lead- Jolteon
Nature: Timid (-Sp. Atk, +Spd)
Ability: Volt Absorb
Item: Damp Rock
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
~Rain Dance
~Thunder
~Hidden Power [Grass]
~Volt Switch

With DrizzleToed being banned, I had to use Jolteon with it's amazing Speed to get up Rain Dance on the first turn (unless I'm up against a max Speed Crobat). Anyway, Rain Dance makes Thunder's accuracy 100%. HP Grass hits Ground-types. Volt Switch gets heavy damage and a free switch in.

Special Attacker (Electric)- Lanturn
Nature: Calm (-Atk, +Sp. Def)
Ability:Volt Absorb
Item: Need help here
EVs: 252 Def / 204 Sp. Def / 52 HP
~Scald
~Ice Beam
~Heal Bell
~Thunderbolt

Burns are always nice. Unless I get burned :(. Thunderbolt for other STAB. Ice Beam for coverage. Heal Bell for support.

Spiker/Wall- Tentacruel
Nature: Bold (-Atk, +Def)
Ability: Rain Dish
Item: Black Sludge
EVs:252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
~Toxic Spikes
~Rapid Spin
~Scald
~Ice Beam

2 layers of Toxic Spikes=Toxic on entire team (bar Poison-types). Rapid Spin to remove entry hazards. Scald for STAB and possible burn and Ice Beam for coverage against Ground-types.

Physical Attacker (Electric)- Electivire
Nature: Jolly (-Sp. Atk, +Spd)
Ability: Motor Drive
Item: Expert Belt
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
~Wild Charge
~Ice Punch
~Fire Punch
~Earthquake

I love this Pokemon. With this set, almost every type gets super-effective damage from Electivire. Wild Charge for STAB, Fire and Ice Punch for coverage, and Earthquake fro even more coverage :p

Physical Attacker (Water)- Quagsire
Nature: Relaxed (-Spd, +Def)
Ability: Unaware
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Def / 4 Def
~Curse
~Recover
~Waterfall
~Earthquake

Standard attacking Quagsire set. Curse for setting up. Recover to heal off damage while setting up. Waterfall and Earthquake for powerful STAB and EQ takes out any Electric types. The only thing it has too watch out for are Grass-types, which almost everyone else on my team can take out.

Cleaner- Ninetales
Nature: Timid(-Atk, +Spd)
Ability: Drought
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Sp. Def
~Flamethrower
~Energy Ball
~Will-O-Wisp
~Hidden Power [Ground]

Drought gets rid of rain (if there was any) that hinders Ninetales. Flamethrower isn't as powerful as Fire Blast, but it has better accuracy, which could be crucial. Energy Ball for coverage and Will-O-Wisp to cripple physical attackers. HP Ground to hit other Fire-types like Heatran.

Well here it is. Leave suggestions on what I should change.

Thanks in advance,
GSP :-D
Drizzle toad is..banned?
Frankly, I can't understand why you have drought ninetales. If you are unable to setup rain dance again after ninetales sets up sun, you entire team is screwed up.

Rotom-W >> Lanturn

I would also suggest a couple of swift swimmers and Toxicroak to eliminate ferrothorn who is a thorn(pun intended) to every rain team.

drop the tails. i don't get it. OH. try a trollygon out for size

poygon2@eviolite
252 hp/4 def/252 SpA
ability: download
nature: modest
~tri-attack
~ice beam
~discharge
~recover

has better coverage then lantern.

also, like above said, there's rotom-w. they are amazing. let me post my set

rotom-w@leftovers
112 hp/252 SpA/144 spe
ability: levitate
~thunderbolt
~hydro pump
~hidden power [fire]
~pain split

watch out for mold breaker haxorus though.

glad to help!

@CommandurrClowncrete @soulless shadow

He can't use Toxicroak or Porygon2 for obvious reasons. And, Rotom-W isn't necessarily greater than Lanturn on this team. Lanturn provides nice bulk and Heal Bell, completely different to Rotom-W and its uses. I also have no clue why on earth Ninetails is on this team; it seems extremely counter-productive and contradictive (didn't you say Politoed was banned?). Apart from that, it seems quite strong considering limitations--just be careful of Type advantages, and I'd have a total of 3 Rain Dance users and a Swift swimmer assuming they aren't banned on this Gym League.

@GSP

@Synthesis he can use either toxicroak or porygon2 instead of tails.

@GSP this just occurred to me. you could try to fir in a smash pass gorebyss in. but i may have just found evidence that smash pass was banned. shoot. i'm doing research as i speak

Last edited:
I also have no clue why on earth Ninetails is on this team; it seems extremely counter-productive and contradictive (didn't you say Politoed was banned?).

this

Also @GSP, run some Swift Swimmers and make this team offensively oriented if you're going with Rain Dance. Kabutops, Kingdra, and Ludicolo all make fine choices for SS abusers.

@GSP okay. for gorebyss, there are two sets.

gorebyss@Whiteherb
252 hp/24 SpD/232 spe
ability: hydration
nature: calm
~shell smash
~baton pass
~surf
~substitute/ice beam

that's the smash pass team. you use shell smash. it boosts speed and both attacking stats. white herb stops defenses from dropping. then, baron pass to electivire. works even better if you switch in to an electric attack

gorebyss@life orb/lum berry
4 hp/252 SpA/252 spe
ability: swift swim
~shell smash
~surf
~hidden power [grass]/hidden power [fire]
~ice beam

on the other hand, this one is a special attacker. the hidden power type depends on the rest of the team. also, this fits with your theme. well, both do.

don't switch the ability on the first one, it heals poison, paralysis, sleep, freeze, and burn.

@CommandurrClowncrete @soulless shadow

He can't use Toxicroak or Porygon2 for obvious reasons. And, Rotom-W isn't necessarily greater than Lanturn on this team. Lanturn provides nice bulk and Heal Bell, completely different to Rotom-W and its uses. I also have no clue why on earth Ninetails is on this team; it seems extremely counter-productive and contradictive (didn't you say Politoed was banned?). Apart from that, it seems quite strong considering limitations--just be careful of Type advantages, and I'd have a total of 3 Rain Dance users and a Swift swimmer assuming they aren't banned on this Gym League.

@GSP
I know the Ninetales sucks. It was just a stupid idea that came to me around midnight :p Anyway, I think you're forgetting, this is a Water and ELECTRIC type team. As in I can't have 3 Rain Dancers and a Swift Swimmer on my team without opening up a whole bunch of weaknesses. I can probably take out Tentacruel for another Rain Dancer. I would say either Ludicolo or Electrode. As for the Swift Swimmer, I'll switch out Quagsire for Kingdra.

a few things. make sure you edit your changes into the OP. also, did you see the rest? one of my gorebyss sets there is a good swift swimmer (the second one) and the first can raise electivire to +2 in both attack stats and speed. which is lethal to many things.

the things you need to watch out for is grass and electric. a good prediction and switch in to elective or jolteon will solve your electric problem. grass is a little harder to cover.

a few things. make sure you edit your changes into the OP. also, did you see the rest? one of my gorebyss sets there is a good swift swimmer (the second one) and the first can raise electivire to +2 in both attack stats and speed. which is lethal to many things.

I'm getting right on that and yes I did. I used a SmashPass Gorebyss before and it worked fine. I'll definitely consider it.

ATTENTION: I made HUGE changes to my team. Please go up to the first post to see my new team :-D

I'd go with Toxicroak. Volcarona can't do too much in the rain beside spamming non-STAB Hurricane

i see advantages in both toxicroak and volcarona. toxicroak is healed in the rain, and helps add coverage to the team. unfotunantly, he adds another weakness to earth

volcarona benefits with a 100% hurricane. unfotunantly, fire suffers a hit. we have to remember, however, that the rain won't last that long late game without drizzle toed.

after looking at that, i'd go with volcarona, but make sure you use it later in the game as, as you put it, a "cleaner"

as for an item on lanturn, i have a few ideas. i noticed you said it was a special attacker, and yet, it's EVs make it seem defensive based. so you could use leftovers. on the other side, you could scrap heal bell for some other attack and give it choice specs. as a third option, you could keep heal bell and use a life orb to boost attacks.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom