• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen VI and the dub

I actually just think that the dub will continue dubbing season 16 in the current speed that it's being dubbed and the US will probably see season 17 a couple months after the Japanese debut of the gen 6 anime. Although with non US countries that are many episodes behind, they will probably air as planned.

I just don't think that they will skip some things or that they will do anything special when it comes to the dub of the anime.

With the Gen VI games set for a simultaneous release, does anyone think it would be possible for the anime to get the delay between the original and the dub down anywhere near that close? We've already seen it get much shorter than in previous generations, how close does everyone think they could get, or won't it matter?

I don't think it's really possible, sad to say. It can get shorter like you said (remember the BF dub on CN was insanely fast-paced in terms of being dubbed quickly), but I don't think it'll matter.

With the Gen VI games set for a simultaneous release, does anyone think it would be possible for the anime to get the delay between the original and the dub down anywhere near that close? We've already seen it get much shorter than in previous generations, how close does everyone think they could get, or won't it matter?

I don't think it's really possible, sad to say. It can get shorter like you said (remember the BF dub on CN was insanely fast-paced in terms of being dubbed quickly), but I don't think it'll matter.

It was also infamous for being the worst dub.

I think that was because the gap was much larger back when Battle Frontier was airing on Cartoon Network since TPCI had just stared their dub. With Pokemon premieres moving to Cartoon Network, they made a bigger deal about it with weeknight premieres for a good portion of the season and I think part of the first DP season. I don't think that they could weekday premieres now, or at least they're not nearly as interested in doing something like that now, so aside from maybe a sneak peek shortly after the games are released, I think that we'll just have to wait a couple of months to see the new series dubbed.

I think that was because the gap was much larger back when Battle Frontier was airing on Cartoon Network since TPCI had just stared their dub. With Pokemon premieres moving to Cartoon Network, they made a bigger deal about it with weeknight premieres for a good portion of the season and I think part of the first DP season. I don't think that they could weekday premieres now, or at least they're not nearly as interested in doing something like that now, so aside from maybe a sneak peek shortly after the games are released, I think that we'll just have to wait a couple of months to see the new series dubbed.

Yeah, true though.

CN did rush through the Battle Frontier episodes. I seem to recall they actually aired a batch of episode weekdays at one point or something.

CN did rush through the Battle Frontier episodes. I seem to recall they actually aired a batch of episode weekdays at one point or something.
That was during early DP. I think during BF, they aired two a day on Saturdays (though I couldn't watch them at the time, so maybe I'm wrong).

I'm pretty sure I remember a couple of promos for new BF episodes airing on weekdays. I think that they did that with some of the early DP episodes too though.

If that's the case, then the gap between those (air quote) "seasons" would be enough time for John Loeffler's contract to get renewed. *yawn* I'm not surprised since it's now pretty much clear that he'll keep working on Pokemon for a long while until the anime gets cancelled (like that'll ever happen soon).

I'm amazed this thread has been going on for as long as it has.

The English dub airing the same week as the Japanese version isn't even the tiniest bit feasible. Some of you guys' expectations are really quite unrealistic.

Maybe the XY anime part will air a month or 2 before the games comes out, then the dub can air a couple months after. So say we get like 8 eps into the season and then the game comes out. We don't know how long episode N is supposed to last. That could work. Maybe

Maybe the XY anime part will air a month or 2 before the games comes out, then the dub can air a couple months after. So say we get like 8 eps into the season and then the game comes out. We don't know how long episode N is supposed to last. That could work. Maybe
The first Johto episode had aired more than a month before Gold and Silver were released in Japan. Something similar could happen again, especially as X and Y would probably be released earlier in Japan if it weren't for the international release.

The English dub airing the same week as the Japanese version isn't even the tiniest bit feasible. Some of you guys' expectations are really quite unrealistic.
It can't have totally slipped their minds when considering the move to the games releasing the same month in most parts of the world - for all the discussion on here of the anime just being a vehicle for promoting the games, I wouldn't think it would be odd to think that having the new generation's anime on air at the time of the games releasing has to be the most important part of that. The anime is part of the reveal process for the new Pokemon and to get the younger fans who aren't going to line up on release day to see them and start demanding their parents get them the games for Christmas. If the dub of the XY anime falls into 2014, as it would on the current dubbing schedule, then it's failed at one of it's primary purposes.

There's already a slightly faster pace - there was a month between Black and White finishing and Rival Destinies starting; Adventures in Unova will start the next week, and have three weeks of gaps from Japan within the first 10 episodes - while presumably CN will keep at one episode a week. If the XY anime starts in Japan early that will further give them time to be starting near release, even if they then need to take a bit of a break in the new year to build up a bit more of a gap, the first couple of weeks are important.

Airing the dub the same week as the original isn't feasible, but they certainly can still have the dub start when the games release, at least for the first few months when it will matter the most.

Airing the dub the same week as the original isn't feasible, but they certainly can still have the dub start when the games release, at least for the first few months when it will matter the most.

I think that in order for that to work, they would have to air the last chuck of Episode N episodes around September, which isn't really likely for at least Cartoon Network when they haven't been interested in airing new episodes outside of the series' Saturday morning timeslot since I think the first DP season. Skipping the rest of BW wouldn't be an option since they would need something to lead into the next series and either going into reruns for months or creating their own ending would just be a bad way to handle the dub in general. Even if they did air through the rest of BW, TPCI would also have to get episodes from the new series ready to air here very shortly after they air in Japan or even before they air. Even though they do seem to get the episodes prior to airing in Japan, I don't think that they would be able to do that because of everything it takes to create a dub.

I still think that the only possible solution would be to show a sneak peek of the new series shortly after the games came out. I could see TPCI finishing up the first couple of episodes by that point, but they most likely wouldn't have enough episodes ready to air one every week and there would still be the issue of finishing the rest of BW anyway. It would still introduce kids to a bunch of new Pokemon and make them more interested in getting the games, even though they wouldn't see more of them in the anime until the following year. It's not the most ideal solution for this issue, but I just don't think that the other ideas brought up here could work. There just will be a bit of a wait for the new series to have a proper premiere.

It can't have totally slipped their minds when considering the move to the games releasing the same month in most parts of the world - for all the discussion on here of the anime just being a vehicle for promoting the games, I wouldn't think it would be odd to think that having the new generation's anime on air at the time of the games releasing has to be the most important part of that. The anime is part of the reveal process for the new Pokemon and to get the younger fans who aren't going to line up on release day to see them and start demanding their parents get them the games for Christmas. If the dub of the XY anime falls into 2014, as it would on the current dubbing schedule, then it's failed at one of it's primary purposes.

The new generation's video games get released way before the anime plot reaches the arc promoting those games in almost every country that airs the series. So no, it would neither be odd nor fail at any of its purposes.

The new generation's video games get released way before the anime plot reaches the arc promoting those games in almost every ountry that airs the series. So no, it would neither be odd nor fail at any of its purposes.
An article I found here mentions that Black and White was previewed in Europe in the same month as its premiere in the US (so same month as the games releasing) - why wouldn't they do the same thing they did for BW?

There were a few occasions so far in BW where episodes have been shown in European dubs before the English dub has aired in the US, so it's probably more down to scheduling than production time as to the gap between the US and the major European markets.

They might make a Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon-like special. That is, produce the special (or 2 to 3 episodes) right now, then send a copy for dubbing in each language, and then each station can air these special episodes when the time comes for the release.

I was at a con this weekend with multiple Pokemon voice actors (Kotoricon), and I relayed this question to Bill Rogers, who is also one of the people in charge of arranging and adapting the dub. Based on what he could say so far:

-The voice actors found out about the new games at the same time as the general public.

-If they were to catch up the series so the XY anime could air closer to the Japanese debut, it would require heavier workloads in the studio and they haven't gotten word of coming in to work on the show more often.

-Although he wasn't able to comment specifically on it, it didn't sound like they would cut any of Season 16 short in the dub.

-The movies take more work for the VAs, but the biggest thing is airing them at appropriate times. (The 15th movie had to premiere after Ash's Tepig evolved but before Iris caught her Dragonite.)

So there you have it, Episode N won't be skipped in the dub, but it's unlikely that the anime will catch up for Gen VI's release unless those in charge haven't yet decided to make the VAs and crew work more to finish more episodes in the same time frame.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom