• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen VI Pokemon Discussion

Which are your favourite Pokemon revealed so far?

• Total voters
Re: Revealed Gen VI Pokemon Discussion/Speculation Thread

I wasn't discussing what GF thinks of the situation, only whether or not I think there should be a new type based on the remaining potential for one. Tbh, regaring GF's wishes, I doubt that they'll ever bring a new type in again; Dark & Steel were only brought in to fix Psychic, so in lieu of some glaring flaw like that (which there isn't), I doubt they'd bring another in after all this time.

You may doubt it but that doesn't mean it can't or it won't happen. My point was that it's not up to you or any of us to decide whether new types will be introduced or not. For whatever reasons, GF may decide to create more types or not.

I agreed that GF can force a new type if it's what they want. I wasn't deciding what would happen, only what I think should happen; I was giving my opinion. Or am I not allowed to do that, either?

Sylveon looks like a flying type to me, no wings or clouds but neither has Gyarados. And the it
looks really light so. But will this be the only eeveelution, the always come with more than one, but they could just keep it as it is now.
But I am now expection a rock type if it is indeed a flying type.

Edit: I also could see normal/flying happening, thus introducing two new eeveelution types normal and flying.

File:Tennin (Japanese angel).jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Pokemon that already can fly without wings. We have categorised them as 1) Eastern Dragons that can float due to mystical powers. (like Gyarados). 2) psychic powers of levitation like Mew. 3) Legendary Pokemon that is just that powerful that they can float. (like Landorus) 4) Rocket engines. just to be more broad ability to use fly(Genesect) File:649Genesect BW anime 3.png - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia) There is no other categories.

Now to place Sylveon in one of this category it would have to be 2) psychic powers of levitation like Mew. 3) Legendary Pokemon that is just that powerful that they can float. Finally by making thus 2 & 3 much more common they would have succeeded in opening pandora's box. Thus enable new type of flying pokemon that do not visually look able to fly.

Actually, I think Landorus can fly due to the Kami trio's mastery of the winds (hence their part-Flying type, like Sky Shaymin). I don't think there's any mon that can fly that doesn't have psychic powers, isn't part Flying and/or doesn't have the ability Levitate.

Back to Sylveon's winglessness, though. I don't think a lot of people get this, but the Flying-type is about more than just flight; it's the element of air in general too (hence attacks like Air Slash & Aeroblast). Sylveon doesn't need to fly to be Flying-typed, only to have wind-based powers.

Regardless of how it looks, it just seems that GF are really trying to put emphasis on the typing by keeping it hidden even though the Eevee line is very type-oriented. I interprit that as a new type, and seeing how Sylveon doesn't really fit in with one particular type (well, at least not as obviously as most of the other Eeveelutions), I'd say there's a good chance of a new type.

Then again, people mispredicted new types for Palkia and Dialga in Gen IV, Reshiram and Zekrom last gen, and always seemed very sure of it, so we can't really know what will happen.

On another note, I'd rather it was a single type, regardless of whether it's Bug, Flying, Fairy, Light or even Love than a dual-typed Eeveelution. Dual-typed Eeveelutions just seem so wrong.

Back to Sylveon's winglessness, though. I don't think a lot of people get this, but the Flying-type is about more than just flight; it's the element of air in general too (hence attacks like Air Slash & Aeroblast). Sylveon doesn't need to fly to be Flying-typed, only to have wind-based powers.

Except that Game Freak doesn't seem to go that route. To Game Freak, the Flying-type is basically just telling us that the Pokemon can fly, and this is why the Flying-type is always paired up with another type -- because the Flying-type is something secondary. Something describing what the Pokemon can do, not what it is. The Flying-type isn't presented as an element like the other types, but more as an ability.

I really want them to retcon the entire Flying-type and name it Wind/Air instead, cause from the looks of it now it doesn't seem to be associated with winds, air, hurricanes and the sky etc, it's just associated with flying.

I agreed that GF can force a new type if it's what they want.

Not really, you were just stating reasons why GF will probably not introduce a new type.

I wasn't deciding what would happen, only what I think should happen;

And that is why I pointed out the fact that none of us knows what GF is really up to. I never claimed you were "deciding what should happen".

I was giving my opinion. Or am I not allowed to do that, either?

Of course you are. Did anyone say otherwise?

I couldn't agree more. And that is why I think the name "Flying-type" is unsuitable, because it implies the Pokemon can merely fly. Like @Angela-Samshi; said, the name Wind or Air-type would be more fitting, imo.

Another fact to back the flying or dragon type theory:
Sylveon is the lightest Evolution of Eevee!

What if Sylveon is normal type but instead of just being a bigger Eevee what makes it different is it has a huge variety of status moves thus the problem of "the point Eevee" would be solved? Right? Maybe?

The fact that Sylveon was officially revealed on Valentine's Day causes me to believe that prehaps it is a Love Type like some have already stated. First it's pink a color usually associated with love and yes I know if that were the case then Pokémon like Clefairy and Jigglypuff would be Love Types too. Second it's design seems a bit ambiguous to me, the other Eeveelutions you can look at them and can actually guess which types they are (well for me at least). Third you can say that it is a Normal Type due to it's pink coloring and cutesy appearance and whatnot but again why keep this a secret when there's already so many other Pokémon who are pink and normal so to say, I mean where's the element of surprise when they reveal oh hey it's Normal Type like it just seems stupid to me. Now I don't think we need any more types but will I be upset if they do make more types no, I think it all comes down to whether or not Game Freak wants to. I guess all will be revealed in time but as for now I guess all we can do is speculate.

I think that it's 50% Flying Type, 25% Fighting Type, 15% Dragon Type, 10% New Type so that's my guesses.

Last edited:

This love-type theory has some serious evidence, but I hope it's wrong.
I hope it's just the "love pokemon" or something, and not a new type.
I also hope that we get it in the anime for more infornmation about it; maybe Virgil's eevee could evolve into Sylveon.

DragonIC_Big.png
if its coloration is an evidence than maybe this will be its type

I dunno, I remember thinking it'd be dragon for sure. But it seems to me that it'll either be flying or a new type, with a small chance of dragon. Thinking of its ribbons and how they could be related to flying, well...
stock-photo-11798472-desk-fan-from-the-1950s-with-streamers-isolated-on-white.jpg

I know, it a stretch, but I can't look at Sylveon without thinking about those fans now :p

Except that Game Freak doesn't seem to go that route. To Game Freak, the Flying-type is basically just telling us that the Pokemon can fly, and this is why the Flying-type is always paired up with another type -- because the Flying-type is something secondary. Something describing what the Pokemon can do, not what it is. The Flying-type isn't presented as an element like the other types, but more as an ability.

If that were true, we wouldn't have pure Flying-types, and every fully-evolved or non-evolving Flying-type would be capable of using Fly (or otherwise somehow be associated with flight). Likewise, with one exception, every special Flying-type attack is wind-based, one of which is usually the first Flying attack encountered in the game. Furthermore, the first pure Flying type, Tornadus, is associated with the wind, and not just flight (indeed, he doesn't even have wings to fly with, and presumably flies through the sole virtue of his air-based powers).

I agreed that GF can force a new type if it's what they want.

Not really, you were just stating reasons why GF will probably not introduce a new type.

It's implied in the "Saying GF can do what they want is obvious and solves nothing" bit of that post.

I wasn't deciding what would happen, only what I think should happen;

And that is why I pointed out the fact that none of us knows what GF is really up to. I never claimed you were "deciding what would happen".

Funny, because "My point was that it's not up to you or any of us to decide whether new types will be introduced or not. For whatever reasons, GF may decide to create more types or not" kind of implies it. Like a lot.

I couldn't agree more. And that is why I think the name "Flying-type" is unsuitable, because it implies the Pokemon can merely fly. Like @Angela-Samshi; said, the name Wind or Air-type would be more fitting, imo.

Well, it might be fitting, but I like the misnomer; it gives room for variety. It's like Dark i.e. it's not so much about actual darkness, but cruelty and underhandedness.

EDIT: This "Sylveon seems Dragon-type" idea seems strange to me. Beige isn't a popular main colour for Dragon-types, and Sylveon looks very mammalian.

What about shaymin skyform then that also doesn't have real wing, only ears that would hint to it.
Sylveon has how to say it, an air feeling if you watch the clip of Sylveon her meat scarf ??? really is there to be played by the wind.
But this is kind farfetched.

And dual typing is not likely to be happening now but it is a possiblity.

You have a point about Shaymin, but then again it is a legendary Pokémon.
What about Doduo, Dotrio, Scyther, Hoppip, Skiploom, Jumpluff, Mantine, Drifloon, Drifblim, Mantyke, Rotom, and the Kami trio? Let's not forget that some flying types can't actually use the move Fly. (The Flying type should have been called an Air or Wind type. >_>)

I'm not on any side, but the flying-type theory does have some points.

What about shaymin skyform then that also doesn't have real wing, only ears that would hint to it.
Sylveon has how to say it, an air feeling if you watch the clip of Sylveon her meat scarf ??? really is there to be played by the wind.
But this is kind farfetched.

And dual typing is not likely to be happening now but it is a possiblity.

You have a point about Shaymin, but then again it is a legendary Pokémon.

though im siding sylveon more on dragon type i have to say flying type is named "FLYING" not "WINGED" so to say the least flying is not certainly directed with wings there are many form of flying(though some will argue about it just floating) but certainly sylveon not having wings doesn't mean it cant be flying...

more over i have read in bulbapedia that every gen there is one flying type pokemon with a name starting with "S" but now i have to stick with 45% dragon 40% flying 10% normal 5% new type....

A table of points speculating on Sylveon's type, as I see it. It can assumed that all 'for' arguments count as an 'against' on the other arguments, even though I have not chosen to rewrite them there.

For Normal-type:
- The pokemon does not obviously appear to be any other currently known type, (i.e. doesn't have wings, doesn't have dragon horns or, fire, etc.) and normal is essentially the 'typeless' pokemon.
- It's coloring (predominantly pink) as well as it's style (has a very 'cute' style) are reminiscent of many of the other normal type pokemon already seen, such as the Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Skitty, Snubble, Lickitung and Chansey lines. Actually 44% (16/36) of pokemon in the pink group are normal pokemon, and most of the remainder are Grass, Water and Psychic, all which already have eevee-lutions.
- It has so far been shown using only what appears to be normal-type moves.
- The English name 'Sylveon' possibly from 'sylph' and the Japanese name 'ninfia' from 'nymph' suggest a relation to fairies, possibly referring to the 'fairy' egg-group of pokemon, which many of the normal type pokemon are a part of, and which they are especially known for. Also, a 'sylph' itself is a wind spirit in western mythology.

Neutral or Against Normal-type:
- While it has so far only been shown using normal type moves, these are moves that every eevee-lution is known to be able to learn, though this could be because they want to keep the type secret for some reason.
- It would be a new development for Game Freak to make an eevee-lution that is the same type as it's pre-evolution Eevee, rather than a new type.
- Another possibility is Sylveon refers to 'Sylvan' meaning 'of the forest', which could simply refer to it as a pokemon who lives in forests, which is neither suggestive that it is nor isn't normal-type.

---

For Flying-type:
- The ribbons in the pokemon's design, are shown rippling in the wind in the in-game footage, possibly suggesting a relationship to wind. And while it does not have wings, many flying-type pokemon don't have wings.
- The English name, 'Sylveon' possibly from 'sylph' and the Japanese name 'ninfia' from 'nymph' suggest a relation to fairies, which are known for having wings and flying, possibly suggesting that it can fly.
- The pokemon bears a striking resemblance to 'Skyla' the flying-type gymleader fromt he previous generation.

Neutral or Against Flying-type:
- Sylveon does not have wings, nor has it so far been shown flying or int he air, which suggests it's probably not a flying type.
- Any resemblance to Skyla could be coincidental. Furthermore, Skyla herself was based on a character called 'Birdy', from Tetsuwan Birdy, who doesn't have any obvious relationship to wind.

---

For Dragon-type
- So far, there has been a pattern of eeveelutions which were classified as 'special' types before the physical/special split in a previous generation, of which dragon is the only one without an eevee evolution.
- This is the only eeveelution drawn with fangs, which might suggest an association with aggression or strength, which is associated with dragon types.

Neutral or Against Dragon-type:
- The pokemon doesn't look remotely dragon-like, or serpentine, or even bird-like, as literally every other dragon pokemon thus far has. It doesn't even resemble more mammalian depictions of dragons in other cultures. Vaporeon actually looks more dragon-like.
- The Special/Physical distinction was done away with long ago, so it doesn't make a lot of sense that game freak would continue to follow it. Furthermore, following it at all could have been a complete coincidence, as the types which currently have eeveelutions are probably the easiest and most obvious to design a pokemon around.
- While it's true that this eeveelution has fangs, fangs themselves aren't especially associated with dragon types, or any type in particular, and many pokemon which are not dragon type have fangs.

---

Tell me if I've missed anything.

Last edited:

I'm wondering if Sylveon is just a "girl" eeveelution? I've heard there are going to be two new eeveelutions, so what if they're normal types but one is just girl-specific and one is just boy-specific? Eevee doesn't actually have a normal-type evolution, and Sylveon looks pretty stereotypically "girl." Plus all of the normal arguments listed above.

NoirGrimoir made a on the dot analysis imo, even a small area for new types. Still I'll gamble on normal. Some earlier posts went further on illustrating ribbons. Can it maybe just meant to show off the 3d graphics? Regardless the general look of eevee maybe a bit controversial but its the best design that I've seen for a (normal) eeveelution. Worst design for other types imo, reasons one can refer to NoirGrimoir's post.

PS. for flying I'd add actual levitation-related features, animation in general movement or attack, or even the ability to jump, and the (I wanna be in the air notion).

For dragons I'd overhaul the whole design to add a crest, horn like features and general less colourful colour design, leave ribbons or make it more streamline like mythical eastern dragons that floats and has similar ribbons.

Last edited:

^^^ For the Dragon argument, I've seen people note it's the only eeveelution drawn with fangs.

^ I will add it.
@JewelsVerne; I actually think it would be awesome if there were two new normal type eevee evolutions for each gender, one pink (the already revealed Sylpheon) for girls and one blue (unrevealed so far) for boys. That would be just plain stupendous. I actually see how the name Sylveon/Ninfia would play into that, as nymphs and sylphs are typically female, and the word 'nymph' itself is another word for a young girl.

Last edited:

Not to be sexist but that would be nice. The Pink normal like pokemon is awesome with both genders it is still a avenue they should explore to provide alternative designs for awesome pokemon, since the variety enhances the game imo. Not in a sexist way. Not like GF even touch gay not that I've seen anyways.

I love the idea of gender based evolutions as well, maybe to play in the role of genes this gen. Sadly there's little hope for second evo to be revealed, and as someone else pointed out earlier, getting Slylveon would be ridiculously difficult, given Eevee's 87.5/12.5 gender ratio.

Back
Top Bottom