• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen VI Pokemon Discussion

Which are your favourite Pokemon revealed so far?

• Total voters
Re: Revealed Gen VI Pokemon Discussion/Speculation Thread

Is Shishigami even a real thing? I thought it was purely an invention for Princess Mononoke. I know Shintoism has Kami for literally everything, but I've never heard of an even moderately important deer god. Even doing a Japanese google search for it turns up nothing but Mononoke hits.

Of course, it wouldn't be the first time that a Pokemon was based on a Japanese popular character - Wobuffet and Tyranitar come to mind. But still . . . I don't think it's part of any traditional Japanese mythology.

And Snorlax and Munchlax were inspired by another Miyazaki film, Totoro.

There's no telling which giant robot Golurk is based off specifically so it's best to say all of them.

I used to be a big mecha fan as a kid, and to me it only really looks like Tetsujin-28/Gigantor.

If it looks like anything it looks like Roger's mech from The Big O. Still not alike enough to really say they have any relation apart from coincidence, though.

I don't think anyone thought a theoretical dolphin pokemon would have a clown motif, though. O_O That's the sort of wierd-ass thing that's too ridiculous to be faked.

Though, you know. It could still be fake.

http://th05.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/128/7/9/finjoy_id_by_kymotonian-d4yzy61.png

Was posted before the alleged "leak." As someone in one thread over there said, it's like he's going around digging up fanart and describing it as new pokemon. It's funny how quickly things can be disproven when people do a little homework. Speaking of which, he mentioned this thread at TPM. I figured I'd look into it given that TPM is my home forum. He tries to claim that he was NeoGligarGuy, the guy that revealed Mudkip -> Marshtomp -> Swampert. I remember around that time the English names were being dug up by clever fans. I distinctly remember Mewoth346 teasing the names "Marshtomp" and "Swampert" on his site. The "leaker" claimed that he can't find the thread where he revealed all of the names. NeoGligarGuy mentions such a thread in his post, and that thread conveniently seems to have gone missing. Upon searching for other posts by NGG though, I came across a couple posts that suggest that he's just another fan that was compiling a list of English names. In this thread he mentions doing "research" to figure out the English names and here, he mentions "the names we have found so far." In other threads he takes part in a forum game and discusses DBZ.:p

Long story short, NGG wasn't a GameFreak/Nintendo employee leaking names for the lulz. He was just a fan, like us, who managed to do some sleuthing to figure out many of the Gen 3 English names, probably one that came up in the "leaker"'s Google searches which he then claimed was him in order to try and make himself seem legit.

Quite an elaborate hoax, but a hoax nonetheless.

Ah, disappointment.

But if that's true then there's still hope that Sylveon is normal type.

Quite an elaborate hoax, but a hoax nonetheless.
I should also mention that when Xerneas and Yveltal's English names were revealed, he claimed to have changed the suffix of Xerneas' name from the original name. When the Japanese name turned out to be identical, he argued that Game Freak must have changed the name to fit the localization.

Right.

The guy was already busted in his own topic and proven to be not legit. Hes obviously a troll, nothing he even said was even that exciting or surprising honestly. Anyone can easily speculate everything he said and post it claiming to be true.

Lets not believe rumors that crop up every time someone claims to have inside info, the only leaks I'll believe is the ones that have actual proof/pics behind them, even then things should be taken with a grain of salt. (the Melkor fiasco comes to mind as an exception)

Last edited:

Lets not believe rumors that crop up every time someone claims to have inside info, the only leaks I'll believe is the ones that have actual proof/pics behind them, even then things should be taken with a grain of salt. (the Melkor fiasco comes to mind as an exception)
Tumblr should listen to you.

Tumblr should listen to you.

Tumblr listens to NOBODY.

You people actually believe it? : Ask a Creative Designer Anything - Pokemon X Message Board for 3DS - GameFAQs

Thats the entire original topic I believe, I have not read all of it but seriously, theres no way Game Freak could let all that info leak so soon. Also, we already have Anubis and his name is Lucario.

Even though I agree it's obviously a fake, I have to say that Lucario and Anubis have only one thing in common, resembling/being based on a Jackal, Lucario has nothing about him that suggests that he has any connection to the dead whatsoever, he does learn one of the bone attacks (can't remember which), but it's still a pretty poor comparison. I'd still like to see a Pokémon based fully on Anubis.

Also, random comment: a pokémon based on Ouroboros seem likely to me.

I don't believe in those rumors, but I'd love if Yveltal were really based on Yatagarasu.

Oh, so it was a fake after all. Though among so many things he said, it's likely any of them will hit :lol:

Yeah, I guess the only reason this guy's been getting any attention is because he got lucky and managed to get one thing right, that there'd be a new Eeveelution.

Compare that to the numerous inconsistencies and inaccuracies:
-Saying that there'd be no new Pokemon related to old Pokemon, and then saying we'd be getting an Eeveelution.
-When confronted with old threads of his where he speculated on English names and criticized Nintendo/GameFreak for the Pokemon designs, he said he was only joking in one thread, and was still an intern when he posted another one of the threads, that thread was posted in early 2010.
-A little bit later, he mentioned that he was leaking names back in 2003, and linked to a thread to "prove" it. So he was an intern for 7 years? And somehow had more access back at the beginning than he did later on?
-The thread he linked to as proof that he had leaked names in the past turned out to be a fan who was simply compiling a list of names.
-Saying he leaked "Snivy" even though Serebii had already confirmed it before he claimed to have leaked it
-Referring to Snivy as "Smugleaf" before its official name became known
-Claiming that he knew when new Pokemon designs would be released, and that a group of 5 including the new Eevee evolution would be unveiled in March. We got Sylveon this month.
-Saying that they changed the ending of Xerneas's name from the original Japanese name, only for it to easily be verified that the English and Japanese names are the same.
-And one of my favorites: Claiming that the legendaries are based on Japanese folklore, and that Xerneas is based on Shishigami, you know, from that famous ancient Japanese myth, Princess Mononoke.:p

So yeah, busted.

from that famous ancient Japanese myth, Princess Mononoke.:p

Lol.

Is this the same guy who said the new Eeveelution would be flying type? Because as much as I doubt him I really am thinking that Sylveon's a flying type, and a LOT of people may start believing him if that one thing turns out to be right.

Ugh, the mysterious Sylveon. I can't believe we have to wait another month to find out what type that cute lil critter is. More importantly, I can't believe we're all so confused about an Eeveelution's typing. Who knew the day would come, right?

Is this the same guy who said the new Eeveelution would be flying type? Because as much as I doubt him I really am thinking that Sylveon's a flying type, and a LOT of people may start believing him if that one thing turns out to be right.

That's what I said, when someone puts lots of stuff on the internet, eventually will hit something.

Something like this happened here in my country (Chile), with a bunch of babblers who claimed on TV to be able to predict earthquakes. They "predicted" so many earthquakes, eventually one of those happened actually (oh, what a merit, predicting a quake on the second-most sismically active country in the WORLD). However, since they hit one, everyone forgot absolutely about the other fails and praised them as heroes. That could be roughly the same.

And one of my favorites: Claiming that the legendaries are based on Japanese folklore, and that Xerneas is based on Shishigami, you know, from that famous ancient Japanese myth, Princess Mononoke.:p

This one is actually still up in the air until we get more information that just its name and design.

And one of my favorites: Claiming that the legendaries are based on Japanese folklore, and that Xerneas is based on Shishigami, you know, from that famous ancient Japanese myth, Princess Mononoke.:p

This one is actually still up in the air until we get more information that just its name and design.

Wait, I think you didn't get it. Princess Mononoke is a 1997 animated film and there's nothing "ancient" about this story or the Shishigami. The troll was caught because of this (among other reasons, but this is the funniest one).

To put in perspective; imagine someone comes and says Xerneas is based after a mythical creature of ancient Western folklore, named Bambi.

On the other hand, Yatagarasu, the three-legged crow, is a genuine creature of Japanese folklore, so it's not impossible Yveltal is based on it.

Back
Top Bottom