• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen VI Pokemon File format discovered

BigBadBatter

VOLCANO BAKEMEAT
Reaction score
.PKX is the new file type, it seems.

This will mean a lot for pokemon hacks, unfortunately. But it's also a step closer to cracking the whole game :D

Note: This doesn't necessarily mean they can find hidden stuff in the game yet, but exciting nontheless!

Discuss! Share your thoughts!

Last edited by a moderator:

This will mean a lot for pokemon hacks, unfortunately. But it's also a step closer to cracking the whole game :D

I don't really understand the tech side at all. (If you can get into the game and get all the 3D models (Serebii) why can't you get the other data?) But can anyone else clarify that this is definitely a step towards hacking these games?

Surely Datel (Action Replay) are working on this, their business practically depends on it.

Dang, I don't want it to be hacked. Well, if the hidden legendaries are discovered, I'll try not to spoil it for myself.

I don't really understand the tech side at all. (If you can get into the game and get all the 3D models (Serebii) why can't you get the other data?) But can anyone else clarify that this is definitely a step towards hacking these games?

Surely Datel (Action Replay) are working on this, their business practically depends on it.
Serebii just shopped the background of the models out, that's why they have them

I personally hope that Pokemon will never be hacked from now on. I am enjoying the fact that there are currently no hacked Pokemon spreading around. Once hacked Pokemon make an appearance on Pokemon X and Y, Wonder trading will no longer be safe, or any other kind of trading with trainers you barely know.

I can understand the positive implications as there is a lot we wouldn't know without the hacks, but I'd be willing to give that up for a more pure game.

Unfortunately, it seems others do not share this view.

I personally hope that Pokemon will never be hacked from now on. I am enjoying the fact that there are currently no hacked Pokemon spreading around. Once hacked Pokemon make an appearance on Pokemon X and Y, Wonder trading will no longer be safe, or any other kind of trading with trainers you barely know.

Wait until December 27th. Then all hell will break loose (though, hopefully, GF will have put enough safeguards in place to prevent shiny Mews with 999 on all stats from being transferred over. I imagine the more toned down hacks will still seep through, however.)

Yeah, I'm done with Wonder Trade as soon as Pokemon Bank opens up. Anything not exclusive to X/Y could be a hack and I'd never know it (it had to be normal looking to make it through in the first place). I'm enjoying it while it lasts though, it's been so nice having everything be totally legit this gen.

I don't really understand the tech side at all. (If you can get into the game and get all the 3D models (Serebii) why can't you get the other data?)

Pretty sure Serebii used 3DS Capture software and took clear screenshots and edited the models. Notice how a lot of them look grainy? It's because he didn't extract the model so much as cropped out the background from the Pokedex.

Yeah, I'm done with Wonder Trade as soon as Pokemon Bank opens up. Anything not exclusive to X/Y could be a hack and I'd never know it (it had to be normal looking to make it through in the first place). I'm enjoying it while it lasts though, it's been so nice having everything be totally legit this gen.

According to the pokemon website, they are planning on having a legitimacy checker to keep people from storing hacked pokemon in the bank. Though the details are quite vague.

I won't explain the tech side of it, but essentially it's a modified pokémon being sent over (probably from a faked trade or something crazier), rather than hacking the save file.
Either way, it's a tiny step for something that not a lot of people will be able to do easily.

I'll guess that nothing of it will be seen for a while... except perhaps those asking for the unreleased event pokémon (Diancie, Volcanion, Hoopa) maybe getting what they're asking for quietly over the GTS.

Which of course, will cause the internet to blow up about them, so I doubt even that will happen until news about this have quieted down.

As for what this means on the online sense? Nothing new. Only that the ~70 pokémon and those with unique Gen VI traits won't be an exception once the legality checks are figured out. (Which WILL take a long time, especially if they did improve the checks over Nintendo's side, but mostly because we know next to nothing about the games' mechanics nor actual values for things)

Do note that many people are too lazy to figure said legality checks, so a vast mayority of hacks don't pass them anyways. This also means that a Gen VI legality checker will eventually be up as well (taking into account changes to pokémon transfered from Gen V as well).

And beyond THAT? Well, by extension this gives access to all items in the game (by making pokémon hold them), and so, to all Mega Evolutions and events that may not be normally available.

tl;dr Don't expect hacks that pass legality checks remotely soon. Expect new pokémon/items/megavolutions/whatever.

According to the pokemon website, they are planning on having a legitimacy checker to keep people from storing hacked pokemon in the bank. Though the details are quite vague.

I have a feeling it won't detect Pokemon that could, in theory, be legitimate (such as Ditto with perfect IVs.) Instead, it'll just prevent, say, Sinnoh Starters caught with Master Balls in Black City with 999 on all their stats. Also, they happen to be shiny.

I have a feeling it won't detect Pokemon that could, in theory, be legitimate (such as Ditto with perfect IVs.) Instead, it'll just prevent, say, Sinnoh Starters caught with Master Balls in Black City with 999 on all their stats. Also, they happen to be shiny.

You could be right. Though I'm going to remain ignorantly optimistic until we know for certain.

We don't know how well that will work. And once certain people figure ot how to ceate illegitimate Pokemon on X and Y, they don't need to store it in Pokemon bank, they could just trade them away and spread them.

About hacked pokemonand the check fo Pokemon bank, the problem is about a series of legal event pokemon that the dex doesn't detect as such.
One of the most known event pokemon is Wish Chansey/Blissey. Wish Chansey can't only be obtained from a US events in early 2005 among other Wish pokemon in the NYC.
Pokemon is a Japanese company which could be not aware of the existence of said Pokemon as can consider the PokeBank illegal because they don't detect thye only form of getting.

About the game being datamined, it has a lot of advantages, specially if you like Smogon, PO and company. Why? Why data.-mined the games:
-We know the Base stats of ALL pokemon that are programmed, including ALL megaevolutions programmed int he game. We could even know the BST of more pokemon with updated stats (specially non-Kalos Dex pokemon), see possible errors with the BST posted in Serebii from nw pokemon and released Mega-Evolutions.
-Known the leartnset of unobtainable Kanto, Johto and Hoenn pokemon and non-Kalos Dex Sinnoh and Unova Pokemon, although the obteinable Sinnoh and Unova pokemon are expected to appear in Serebii before any realiabe datamine. Knowing ehat the pokemon who gets this new move is very handy for simulators. And specially something that is very difficult to get, Egg moves, that we know that exist but we can't proven them, specially from the species who debuted Kalos Pokemon.
See if some pokemon changed his Hidden Abilities in this game that can't be obtained in Hordes and/or Friend Safari. Also, knowing if legendary unreleased Hidden Abilities has been changed.
Knowing what the NPC in the game has in the pokemon moveset. See where the pokemon learnset is not based on the usual level up moveset, know what Gym Leaders, TF bosses, Elite 4, Champion and Rivals have when you defeat them.

Datamined the game is not only reveal the event pokemon. Is revealing things that will be legal with Pokemon Banked and some of them are legal NOW, and knowing the details of every legal pokemon that is in the game. Whats happen if ywe want to reveal allt he legal thinks, we ahve to do illegal things that extract data from the game, including the event pokemon.

What is interesting is what happened if the games are datamined. Because Serebii, among other websites, has risk to receive a C&D from Nintendo if they confirmt he event pokemon that are available in the game.

Datamined the game is very interesting for us. And one thing that I forgotten; revealing the % of said wild pokemon to appear in grass, surf, fish, etc. is very handy. Knowing if we get Pancham 20%, 10% or 1% is very interesting for people whoplay the game.

I'd presume it will take a while for them to actually get anywhere far with this, and I'm not really clued into all the technical side of it all. But I am more excited as I'm always excited for new information haha

Also probably a stupid question but does this mean they can extract things like character artwork, Pokémon models etc. from the games with this breakthrough? Something I'd love is the artwork for all the characters haha

We don't know how well that will work. And once certain people figure ot how to ceate illegitimate Pokemon on X and Y, they don't need to store it in Pokemon bank, they could just trade them away and spread them.

Of course, at this point we have no idea if the trade servers have the same legitimacy checker that Bank does due to every Pokemon actually being legitimate.

I will be very sad if Wonder Trade no longer be secure. This feature is more fun than anything(beside the game) I experience in pokémon.

About hacked pokemonand the check fo Pokemon bank, the problem is about a series of legal event pokemon that the dex doesn't detect as such.
One of the most known event pokemon is Wish Chansey/Blissey. Wish Chansey can't only be obtained from a US events in early 2005 among other Wish pokemon in the NYC.
Pokemon is a Japanese company which could be not aware of the existence of said Pokemon as can consider the PokeBank illegal because they don't detect thye only form of getting.

"Pokemon is a Japanese company" doesn't equate to them being complete idiots about events outside of Japan. They are certainly well aware of the existence of events and how Pokemon derive moves from them. And if they aren't, there's tons of resources on the Internet and I'm sure Nintendo and Game Freak have their own internal sources as well.

What is interesting is what happened if the games are datamined. Because Serebii, among other websites, has risk to receive a C&D from Nintendo if they confirmt he event pokemon that are available in the game.

Any Pokemon website could be hit with a C&D but it isn't because of data mining as that's been done with past games and nothing has happened. Nintendo's C&D tend to target sites that try to actively make a profit, such as those crappy online RPG Pokemon games that sell points or eggs or whatever for actual money. As long as a website isn't actively trying to make a buck, Nintendo tends to let them be.

Didn't they have it set up so the GTS would try to detect fake pokemon as well? I imagine they could easily do that again and apply it to wonder trade and battles, ect.

Honestly if people figure out how to mess around with them for x and y, as long as they look and act just like legit pokemon I don't care where they came from, I'll keep wonder trading and whatever else even if the game gets cracked.

Although I have been enjoying the period of unknown we have been going through because the games can't be hacked.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom