• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Gen VIII battle system

MetroLSD

Where Are My Donuts?
Reaction score
With TPC CEO Tsunekazu Ishihara saying that their approach to handling the main series would have to change, i'm beginning to think they may attempt to revamp the battle system in order to appeal to an AAA audience, I'm not expecting them to ditch turn-based battles and go the action rpg route but i'm expecting some sort of change to the system.

DQ11 style positioning that has little effect in battles. Not dodging or anything like that, just a more cinematic feel. Perhaps an ATB style rythym to the battle, with you selecting moves a couple of turns ahead and hoping for the best.

Maybe GF could change the way PP works? Like instead of having each move have a separate amount of PP, each Pokémon could have a PP pool that works like how other RPGs have MP and things like that. I'm not sure how that'd effect Z-Moves though.

I'm personally extremely doubtful that there's going to be a major change in the battle system. The more intense fans would have to revamp their strategies, and the more casual fans probably wouldn't appreciate having to suddenly learn a new battle method. (It's been around for 20 years, after all) The group of people that it might attract is a smaller group than the group of people they'd alienate.

It seems to me that it's more likely they're discussing how to incorporate main series Pokemon, a game series entirely on handheld consoles, into a game that can function on a home console as well.

Maybe GF could change the way PP works? Like instead of having each move have a separate amount of PP, each Pokémon could have a PP pool that works like how other RPGs have MP and things like that. I'm not sure how that'd effect Z-Moves though.
An ATB style system coupled with a general PP counter could actually work, with more powerful moves requiring more points and so on, with Z Moves completely draining it for two moves and veung disabled afterwards. Same thing with megas.

I'm personally extremely doubtful that there's going to be a major change in the battle system. The more intense fans would have to revamp their strategies, and the more casual fans probably wouldn't appreciate having to suddenly learn a new battle method. (It's been around for 20 years, after all) The group of people that it might attract is a smaller group than the group of people they'd alienate.

It seems to me that it's more likely they're discussing how to incorporate main series Pokemon, a game series entirely on handheld consoles, into a game that can function on a home console as well.

Yeah, that statement was more in reference to the people asking about BotW style open world, not so much the battle system. It sounds like they want to change up the general game structure so they can accommodate the region design, not so much that they want to rethink battling.

Hmm, this is a pipe dream and I haven't thought it through very well, lol.

A general PP pool would be a yes. That always bugged me about how Pokemon moves work lol.

All six Pokemon in battle? Maybe they want to emphasize the superior performance of the Switch compared to handheld consoles by having full party battles, along with a position system , with moves affected in power or accuracy depending on position.

All six Pokemon in battle? Maybe they want to emphasize the superior performance of the Switch compared to handheld consoles by having full party battles, along with a position system , with moves affected in power or accuracy depending on position.

A 6v6 battle style would really have a unique dynamic. Having all of your Pokemon out on the field at once, no surprise, no Pokemon safe from being attacked by opposing Pokemon, would make for a really intense battle, if perhaps a bit short. I'd be down for that.

imagine a PP count like HP, that you use up points with every move, but this count would heal up.
Lets say every pokemon gets exactly 20 points to make it simple, then lets make status moves have from 1-3 points, damage dealing moves from 3-10 and a growth of the PP 2 points per turn on the field. If you over use to powerfull moves you will struglle like by loss of PP.
Lets say charizard uses flamethrower 9 PP, after 2 flamethrowers you loose 18PP, but gain 4, that means you are at 6 PP, not enough to use it and struggle or be not able to use that attack if you try.
This way some over use of too strong moves would be blocked.
Z-moves could use the double amount of PP as a usual move, that would make sense taking that often you try to use it fast as posibble.

Dive:

Sky Drop should be abble to hit a pokemon in semi-invulnerable turn when the oponent use Dive.
Icycle spear, ice shard, avalanche also should be abble to hit a pokemon thats under the water.
Aura sphere should be abble to hit.
Anchor shot?
Eruption should hit dive user(depends on users hp ) or Draco Meteor ( low Chance of hitting90%)?
Freeze Dry should be theoretically be able to hit it in this state in my opinion.
Sheer Cold should be able to not only hit a pokemon under water, but to make it gfaint with 100% Chance.

Dig:
Aura Sphere should be abble to hit a Dig user.
Stomp used on the ground should be abble to bring up a dig user up on the field maybe without doing damage.
Earth power should be able to hit a Dig user.
Spirit shackle if it hits the shadow then if you hit the hole were it digged should hit it, or if you trapped it before with it you should be abble to hit it then also under ground.
Grass knot under ground?
Fire Pledge should be abble to hit a dig user under ground or not?
Rock tomb, from underground?
Sound moves should hit a dig user or not? ground is a good when it comes to bringing sound at far distances.
Infestation? bugs should attack under ground?
I think that moves like Smart strike and megnet bomb should be abble to hit and they could and should change that.
Fissure should not only be able to hit but KO it really at 100%.

During fly, sky drop, bounce?
Why do some ice type moves not hit oponents in seminvulnerable turns?
- heat wave, icy wind, glaciate, Powder snow, omnious wind?
Blizzard and Hurricane are alike, but maybe that would be to much but on great height the air gets colder...
Sound moves? but maybe because of the distance and hard to hit?
-Attack Order should hit also in air.

some moves(Extrasensory , some sound moves) should be ablle to hit a pokemon during se-invulnerable turn of Phantom Force. (and maybe others too?)

this way bug buzz and other sound moves could and would have a greater role in battles.
Some bug type moves like silver wind, savage spin out need to hit pokes in the air.

- should/could Acid Downpoor hit a Dive and Dig user when they hide under water/ground? if you create a wamp there is no way to hide then the sky? its not a sludge wave that you can avoid so easy.

Bounce power 85, can paralyze by 30% Chance

Dig power 80, ????????????????????? flinching???? or something? should free from wrap.
Fly power 90,(reduce to 85 and add a effect) ????????????????????? flinching???? or something? should free the user from fire spin, whirlpool.
Dive power 80 (make it free the user from frozen status, when it dives frozen then it can then attack, and add flinching or confuse Chance. should free the user from fire spin)

Phantom force power 90 (reduce it to 60 and add flinching 30% Chance; crate or re-do old moves to hit a phantom force and shadow force user during the semi-invulnerable turn), can hit through shielding moves????
(Feint power 30??? rise that to 60 when oponent uses a shielding move)

Skydrop power 60, maybe make the oponent confused or something that kind??? (+hit dive users)
________________________________________________________________________________
Telekinesis should block and realease the doing of such moves.

maybe make spirit schackle not only trap the foe, but also block and hit the target through its shadow?

Last edited:
Part of me wants them to go real time. But having 3d real time battles would be hard given they would have to make hit boxes and animations for nearly contact move pokemon combination okay maybe they would have to 10 attack animations per forme but that's still a lot. I think I remember an opinion piece on bulbanews talking about how in other games anatomy is similar among enemies while things as similar Geodude and Rogenrola move completely differently.

I think it's possible that they could go for a psuedo-real time system sort of like Mystery Dungeon and maybe have PP work on a timer instead of a set count, that might work as a compromise. But in general I don't think they'll completely eliminate the turn based system because they want the sense of you having to wait for the opponent to attack before you do again, it makes you pay a little more attention to the opponent's strategy.

@Bolt the Cat and @Froyo forgive me for saying hard when I meant effectively impossible.

Well there is always the SNES final fantasy system... but that wouldn't be enough to be worth the hassle.

Have I pitched the idea of having six moves per Pokemon but with restrictions i.e. each pokemon can have up to 2 status moves and four attacking moves and are unable to have all four attacking moves be psychical or all special?

Last edited:
@Bolt the Cat and @Froyo forgive me for saying hard when I meant effectively impossible.

Well there is always the SNES final fantasy system... but that wouldn't be enough to be worth the hassle.

Have I pitched the idea of having six moves per Pokemon but with restrictions i.e. each pokemon can have up to 2 status moves and four attacking moves and are unable to have all four attacking moves be psychical or all special.
I would rather hav 6 move slots, 4 for battles and 2 extra to change up moves between tchem to not need to re-learn to much.

I would rather hav 6 move slots, 4 for battles and 2 extra to change up moves between tchem to not need to re-learn to much.

I always wondered why we were never allowed to have more than one move set on a Pokemon but just change which one we can use between battles. Even if this was something that could be unlocked in post game that would be useful.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom