• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Gen VIII battle system

I honestly don't find a limit to attacks very frustrating. Few games let you have access to every attack in your possible arsenal at once-the only example I can think of are games like Smash, Tekken, etc, where you have to learn button combinations, and that'd be quite different from our current turn-based system. (I'm not interested in scrolling through pages of moves to find the one that I want, either)

The only "downside" to a move limit is that you have to pick a few moves-and that's kind of the point.

A move limit also adds to the strategy of Pokémon battling. Instead of having access to multiple strategies, you would have only access to one or two and it would make the battle tougher.

On the other side though, removing the move limit would give both battlers access to multiple strategies. So you would have to much more careful and plan even more detailed due to more variables in play in battle. So it would also make battles tougher.

So it can go both ways.

The reason why I suggested upping the move limit is because I wanted to counterbalance the restrictions.

The reason why I suggested the restriction is to nerf both stall and offensive min maxing.

I don't like the idea of hyper optimal dump stats and I think that weaknesses are more important than strength. So how do you make having a miniscule offensive stat a weakness when another one is good? Forcing at least one moveslot to go to that stat was my answer.

Just add 1 more move slot. Boom, simple, yet transformative gameplay.

Actually, the whole "only four moves" thing is fairly archaic and bothersome. That could stand to be removed altogether.
to much moves would cause chaos, and it should be strategy... plus I dont know how it would affect the coding and data limit.

I hope the turn based battle system ends altogether. The reason it is still there is becuase gamefreak are not very good at making games. They just happen to own the rights to this IP. They are very behind the times. Though it could also be becuase of the hardware limitations since pokemon has always been handled only. But with the switch, it can be done. I would love a battle system that would be similar to how battles happen in the anime.

The reason it is still there is becuase gamefreak are not very good at making games.
Right, and that's why they've got such a hugely popular franchise, isn't it?
They just happen to own the rights to this IP.
A) The staff of Game Freak work on designing Pokemon. It's not like they do nothing and profit because they have legal rights.
B) They own the right to Pokemon, not to turn-based battles. Many other games use this system.
They are very behind the times.
Just google "turn-based strategy games" and see what comes up. There's plenty others released in the past few years.

Being turn-based isn't being "behind the times" any more than a racing game is behind the times. You don't have to like the genre, but don't pretend being part of a certain genre is an inherent flaw in a game.

I don't think I'd like it if they abandoned turn based altogether. One thing I wouldn't mind would be if the speed stat manifested itself as a kind of ATB gauge á la final fantasy iv-ix. Maybe that would actually add a sense of urgency to in game battles. Although I don't know much about competitive battling, I assume a mechanic change like that would severely mess up the metagame, which would also have its amusement value

One of the reason why I love Pokémon is because it's a turn based RPG. So, removing that would not make me happy at all.

Interesting would be to see some future moves and abilities that would hurt more the "awake" - not sleeping pokemon then those who sleep.
Or one ability or move that the status conditions like sleep or paralyze would help insted of hindering- like situation with Sucker Punch, a very powerfull pokemon that would not be abble to hit something that can't move or attack in the same turn.
If a pokemon sleeps it shouldbe protected from flinching or confussion? yes?

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom