• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Gen8 fossil discussion thread

PageEmperor

Reaction score
oh jeez I can’t believe this is the first time in 1 and a half years I am using this account

But what are your thoughts on the fossils of the upcomming games? I know there was some discussion about them in other threads, but hey, let’s have a discussion about it in it’s own thread. So what do you think? Who’s your favourite/least favourite? Which ones will you see yourself using?

The dex entries could also probably written from the prospective of someone trying to hype up the fossils as actual things that lived thousands of years ago.

Like there's no original full fossils only miss matched lumps of questionable ethics.
That makes things worse. Specially because they are creating something that can't breathe on land when everything else (apparently) can. Wait, does that mean that everything in Pokémon has lungs?

That makes things worse. Specially because they are creating something that can't breathe on land when everything else (apparently) can. Wait, does that mean that everything in Pokémon has lungs?
The fact fish Pokemon don't die while following you in HGSS and Let's Go makes you wonder.

xD Yeah I won't be actually reviving any of these fossils. Half because I don't usually use fossils in the first place, and half because GALAR WHY.

Holding out hope that a third version/sequel pair happens with the addition of the other halves of all of these fossils. Because not only would we get four new real pokemon, I would no longer worry about the guilt of thrusting... life upon these poor things.

I really like the idea of fossil hybrid creatures, but not a fan of the execution, some are better than others but like a lot of people I really wish that there were matching top/bottom halves for all of them. It's the sort of thing I won't be surprised if they add the other correct halves in the next gen.

I think they were trying to go for a more whimsical fun carefree approach rather than morbid with the fossils. I prefer that the fossils were done more seriously honestly. I usually use them and always look forward to them. These were a disappointment to me, but hey they tried something new and creative so kudos.
There is one I like. And it is growing more on me with time. Arctozolt. It is cute.

If they looked more serious, it would have been worse. As they are now, they look to be drawings of some kid trying to combine all their favorite prehistoric creatures...which lessens the blow some.

Winning concept, awful execution and worst of all, robbing us of future mons inspired by these dinosaurs.
This is what made me really sad. Pokemon's designers can't just create 2 or 3 dunkleosteus ("Vish") based pokemon. Indeed, they have used some creatures as inspiration to create more than 1 pokémon - Solgaleo-Pyroar (lion), for example. But, fossils are fossils. You can't just go around and create another fossil with the same source of inspiration. Be honest, what pokemon would you pick for your team: "Arctovish" or this dunkleousteus fossil made by a fan. These Gen 8's fossils stole a lot of good sources of inspiration, as you said.

Made by: Smiley-Fakemon
Link: Dunkleosteus Fossil Fakemon - Commission by Smiley-Fakemon on DeviantArt

well if they were more serious they wouldn't have done the mix matching to begin with

or do it in a way that flowed better. some animals out there kinda looked mixed matched like the platypus for example or some of the prehistoric critters out there or some mythical creatures that don't exist..

xD Yeah I won't be actually reviving any of these fossils. Half because I don't usually use fossils in the first place, and half because GALAR WHY.

I believe that they were basing the fossils off British archaeologists and paleontologists who, back in the day, would put fossils together incorrectly (like Iguanodon, for instance). However, their execution of the concept is... lacking, to say the least. I think they could have done a MUCH better job with it.

I'd have very much preferred if the fossils looked like this while conserving the concept (minor redesign below)

These are SO MUCH better...

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom