• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Gen8 fossil discussion thread

Having taken a look at their stats is that these four mons appear to be mainly designed as tankish, rather than outright speedy glass cannons. Most of them have average speed, but make up for it with good/respectable offense and defensive stats.

I think I would have liked the fossils this gen more if, rather than use up potential design ideas on joke 'mons, they use the preexisting fossil Pokemon and fused them instead.

Edit: Like so

I think I would have liked the fossils this gen more if, rather than use up potential design ideas on joke 'mons, they use the preexisting fossil Pokemon and fused them instead.

Edit: Like so
View attachment 128688View attachment 128689View attachment 128690
I disagree, I personally never wanted hybrids of Pokémon species; the way the've handled the gen 8 fossils is acceptable for me, but using older designs could open a can of worms I'd rather keep closed.

the new fossils get boost from moves when oponent switch in.

That makes things worse. Specially because they are creating something that can't breathe on land when everything else (apparently) can. Wait, does that mean that everything in Pokémon has lungs?

It's worse than that. The dracovish pokedex entry says that it can run at like 44 mph, but can't breathe on land. WELL, that makes that LAND SPEED kind of IRRELEVANT, huh?!

It's so stupid. I can't tell if I love it or hate it. But it makes me feel SOMETHING, so let's count that as a net positive.

They're all a horrible idea, especially Dracovish, but they're not the only reason I'm not getting a Switch.

I guess the Fossils' Pokédex entries are funny, but it makes me wonder what the Pokémon used in those chimeras looked like originally. We'll probably never know.

Also, it convinced me that some (most?) of the Dex entries are lies, like those of a volcano erupting every time an Entei barks, and Entei being born every time a volcano erupts. Or Magcargo's absurd temperature.

They're all a horrible idea, especially Dracovish, but they're not the only reason I'm not getting a Switch.

I guess the Fossils' Pokédex entries are funny, but it makes me wonder what the Pokémon used in those chimeras looked like originally. We'll probably never know.

Also, it convinced me that some (most?) of the Dex entries are lies, like those of a volcano erupting every time an Entei barks, and Entei being born every time a volcano erupts. Or Magcargo's absurd temperature.
I mean, the field work is mostly done by ten year olds, what do you expect XD

The concept is cool, but the designs are weird. Not bad, just very weird.

I do like Dracozolt's shiny coloration much more than the normal because it makes it not look like several cans of different colored paint fell on it by accident.

I think the real reason I'm annoyed by the new Fossil Pokémon is because, while they are creative, the designers tried to give a hilarious travesty of an explanation of how they lived in the ancient past, and it feels like they deliberately chose the lazy route by using the same 4 incomplete halves of the models and just mashing them together to create Pokémon.

For the record, I do think getting SwSh is worth it if you just want to keep up with the series, catch/play with new Pokémon, or try the new features (like Gigantamaxing).

I've long suspected the dex is a house of lies. Too many just don't seem to add up.

I love the concept behind these fossils so much. It's really unique and I just think it's so cool. My favorites are Dracozlt and Arctozolt, such cuties. I went with Dracozolt for my own team. The only thing that bugs me about them is that they're all genderless, but I guess I can get why Pokemon formed from combining two halves together would result in that. I still wish it weren't the case.

Fossilized Bird creates a Raptor head - matching the sprite
Fossilized Dino creates a marine animal lower body - matching the sprite
Fossilized Fish creates a Dunkleosteus head - doesn't match the sprite but pretty clearly matches the sprite for Drake
Fossilized Drake creates a Stegosaurid tail - doesn't match the sprite at all but vaguely matches the sprite for Fossilized Fish if we stop seeing it as a shrimp and realize that it's a Stegosaur tail curled around with the thagomizer bottom centre, although the thagomizer isn't part of the final Drake design, possibly because they realized how morbid it would be for Dracovish to have its head impaled on it.

Looking at the Fossilized Drake and Fossilized Fish sprites it becomes clear that they were inadvertently switched during programming. Although the Fossilized Fish sprite does look like a fish or at least a shrimp at first glance, upon closer inspection it becomes apparent that it is a Stegosaur tail curled around with the thagomizer at the bottom centre of the sprite. What I suspect happened was the person who made the sprite and the person who programmed them into the game were different people, resulting in the programmer seeing the fish-like Stegosaurus tail and assuming it was meant to represent the Fish. Since the Dunkleosteus skull could easily be mistaken for the the skull of a dragon they ended up using it for that as the leftover sprite.

Attachments

• Fossil Sprites.jpg
    Fossil Sprites.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 70
Despite many people seem to dislike it, I actually love the concept and design of the Franken-Fossils. (Arctozolt is just too adorable, I can't.)

I know GF will likely ditch the Franken-Fossils concept in the next gen, but I'm still hoping they won't or create something similar.

Although I do agree with the idea that they should include the "correct & wholesome" combinations of the fossils on top of the Franken ones. I mean, having options is always nice.

If we did get Diamond and Pearl remakes this generation they could allow players to trade or transfer Pokémon holding the fossils to those games and allow the fossil restoration guy in Oreburgh to restore them correctly.

I love the concept behind these fossils so much. It's really unique and I just think it's so cool. My favorites are Dracozlt and Arctozolt, such cuties. I went with Dracozolt for my own team. The only thing that bugs me about them is that they're all genderless, but I guess I can get why Pokemon formed from combining two halves together would result in that. I still wish it weren't the case.
My guess to their being genderless has to do with the real world fact that most mules (horse/donkey cross breeds) are infertile.

Even though I felt icky afterwards, I went ahead and had two Arctozolts made. The only problem is that its natural learnset is all at very high levels and I don’t have any good compatible TRs or TMs yet. So right now I’m using Heliolisk instead.

My guess to their being genderless has to do with the real world fact that most mules (horse/donkey cross breeds) are infertile.

If that is meant to be the case, I think I'd rather them have just been unable to breed. Maybe I'm just being selfish since I had this whole name theme going on and I was really upset at not being able to have a female Dracozolt, but it just really annoyed me.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom