• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gender-specific Sprites

That would be nice. As long as the sprites have the same feel as each other and don't convey gender roles..

I don't want an overly feminine Machop or Tyran., even if her nature is such.

I'd like more gender-specific sprites (like Machoke and Machamp), but not all Pokemon can have gender differences.

D: Ooh, how would the shiny Kecleons look then?

Radiant. Full on fucking radiant. Like... seven kinds of pretty.

But in the words of Tracey Jordan, "I can't change, Ken! I'm like a chameleon! Always a lizard!"

See this is why I don't like the idea of gender specific sprites AND why I intentionally train masculine pokemon that are actually FEMALE. Girls can be tough to you know. *humph* It's like reinforcing stereotypes.
No offense intended here, but comments like these really annoy me. Just because someone doesn't think Machop or Machamp looks female doesn't mean they don't think girls can't be tough. Machop and Machamp DON'T look female. And it's got nothing to do with being tough looking or muscular or any of that. It's because they look like dude. Period.

You complain about it 'reinforcing stereotypes' when you're actually the one doing so. What's the stereotypical look for the 'tough chick'? Big, buff, and butch. Just like Machamp! If you really wanted to avoid stereotyping you wouldn't seek out masculine looking female Pokemon.

Anyway, on the actual thread topic, here. I think gender specific poses would be great, so long as they avoid gender roles or personality typing in them. It's not that hard a thing to do, either. All you'd really need are little visual cues. Head facing in a different direction, tail held higher or down lower, ears perked up or laid flat back, or even just mirroring the existing image.

@Xyex Glad to see you trying to put the thread back on topic. I never meant anything stereotypical, just to let people know. I just meant for different poses for different genders.

I'd rather each sprite have 4-6 frames of animation than two distinct gender sprites with 2-3 frames. Also why would the pose be based on gender? Does it make any sense for a timid natured pokemon to have a threatening stance just because its male?

I hardly post here, mostly lurk, but I gotta say this: I hate seeing certain humanoid pokemon *cough Machamp cough* and be like yeah he looks cool! He looks strong! He's a-- a she?! That looks nothing like a guy...

I don't know if you noticed or not, but humans don't have fins on their heads. They usually also don't have four arms. That seems a bit more pronounced departure from human characteristics than breasts.

They would be the opposite colour that they would normally be!
With 17 types, that wouldn't work so well. You'd have one odd ball with no opposite color. What they could do is have the color change effect the body, but not the stripe on normal ones, but reverse it on the shinies. So a normal Kecleon that's shifted to the Dark type would be black with red stripe, while a shinie would be er, the shiny color (forget what that is now) with a black stripe.

tacotaskforce said:
I'd rather each sprite have 4-6 frames of animation than two distinct gender sprites with 2-3 frames. Also why would the pose be based on gender? Does it make any sense for a timid natured pokemon to have a threatening stance just because its male?
How about that timid Gryados that's roaring it's lungs out because that's the only sprite for it? Also, if you'll notice, no one is suggesting that it should look shy because it's female, or threatening because it's male (or the other way, either). But how about a Pikachu that has it's tail sticking out to its left side if it's male, and to its right if it's female? Or an Ekans that's curled up if it's male, and stretched out if its female? A Koffing 'tilted' to the right if it's male, to the left if it's female? Mirroring Gardevior's sprite if it's a male?

With 17 types, that wouldn't work so well. You'd have one odd ball with no opposite color. What they could do is have the color change effect the body, but not the stripe on normal ones, but reverse it on the shinies. So a normal Kecleon that's shifted to the Dark type would be black with red stripe, while a shinie would be er, the shiny color (forget what that is now) with a black stripe.

The shiny colour is just a Kecleon with a blue stripe. So, a normal Kecleon's stripe wouldn't change colour, and neither would a shinies. After all, they don't disappear in the anime when they go invisible.

The idea of different genders having different sprites could fit into animal behaviour as well. For example, female sprites would probably be more angry looking, as you'd expect them to have a nearby nest they'd want to defend near to where you catch them in the wild.

Also, give Machoke and Machamp a sports bra...please GameFreak! I don't give a dang about whether or not being butch is a woman thing, but if they are females...'tis indecent exposure.

But how about a Pikachu that has it's tail sticking out to its left side if it's male, and to its right if it's female? Or an Ekans that's curled up if it's male, and stretched out if its female? A Koffing 'tilted' to the right if it's male, to the left if it's female? Mirroring Gardevior's sprite if it's a male?

That would be pretty useless. Bigger differences in terms of the sprites would be better. Different poses. Just give the male Buneary a pose similar to the regular sprites >>

More gender differences, yes. Diffferent poses/stuff, unneccessary. Gender differences can be used in other media such as mangas and anime, but poses, not so much.

Xyex said:
You complain about it 'reinforcing stereotypes' when you're actually the one doing so. What's the stereotypical look for the 'tough chick'? Big, buff, and butch. Just like Machamp! If you really wanted to avoid stereotyping you wouldn't seek out masculine looking female Pokemon.

Actually, breaking the stereotype is what that is doing. At least on the Gardevoir or Lopunny front. Slender men do exist. And stereotypical people would train a male Machamp. So to go against that, you train a female one.

Also, just cause it looks BIOLOGICALLY male doesn't mean it has to be. It's a Pokemon, not a human, so human biology wouldn't work in identifying which gender Machop family "should" be.

I like the gender differences the way they are, with just something slightly off about it so you can be tipped-off if the Pokemon you're encountering is either a male or female for that brief second it appears on your screen, like Pikachu, Shinx, Wobbuffet, or Meditite. I see no need to give them different sprites, even though that would be cool, just give the either a male or female something different about them so you can tell right off the bat, even if it's something obvious like Wobbuffet's having lipstick on it, or PIkachu's tail, or something a little bit more less noticeable like Meditite's ears, or Finneon's tail. I actually hope that they do add more gender difference for not only Gen V Pokemon, but for some others as well.

Yeah..... as gender differences go, that one was pretty stupid.

Indeed, out of all the Pokemon with Gender Differences so far that I can catch in the wild, that one has a nasty habit of catching me off guard on what gender it is before "A Wild Pokemon Appears." I can at least see what gender some are thanks to the bigger/smaller, more/less thing, but those ears throw me off.

No offense intended here, but comments like these really annoy me. Just because someone doesn't think Machop or Machamp looks female doesn't mean they don't think girls can't be tough. Machop and Machamp DON'T look female. And it's got nothing to do with being tough looking or muscular or any of that. It's because they look like dude. Period.

They don't look like a female by human standards, but they aren't humans they are pokemon. To a male machop they would definitely look female, but to us it's like trying to tell the gender of something like a crocodile, there isn't any easy outward way to determine that.

Wait, how is it reinforcing stereotypes if I'm doing the opposite of that stareotype? When almost everyone else won't train a male Lopunny, or a female machop and I'm trying to counteract that by training the overlooked gender.

Anyway, I still don't see how different gender specific sprites that are just going to have the pokemon with a different tail position or something like that will really enhance the game. The Kecleon idea sounds good though. If pokemon are going to have different poses it would make sense to base them on their nature so a calm pokemon would have a calm looking sprite and so on. This might be sort of cool, but that would take up an awful lot of room wouldn't it?

the sprites based upon the supposed nature of the Pokemon
This, disregarding gender entirely.
It would give more of a distinct personality to each pokemon. Though that'd mean a crapload of different animations... so it won't happen.

Or maybe, a random pose decided by other Personality Values.

Keep it as is.

I'd rather see pokemon with unique claw/horn lengths, etc on their sprites. I guess that would interfere with some gender differences though, so no change.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom