• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gender-specific Sprites

Different poses? Nah. Change a few thing as the games have already done, but keep the poses the same.

Actually, breaking the stereotype is what that is doing. At least on the Gardevoir or Lopunny front. Slender men do exist. And stereotypical people would train a male Machamp. So to go against that, you train a female one.

Also, just cause it looks BIOLOGICALLY male doesn't mean it has to be. It's a Pokemon, not a human, so human biology wouldn't work in identifying which gender Machop family "should" be.
Stereotypical people don't pay a whole lot of attention to what gender their Pokemon are. I don't look at gender until I catch it and need a name. And yes, slender men (and buff women) exist, I wasn't saying they don't. I was specifically referring to their "AND why I intentionally train masculine pokemon that are actually FEMALE. Girls can be tough to you know." line, which implies that only the masculine/tough looking women are actually tough. There-by merely swapping one (rather minor) stereotype for another (much more common) one.

They don't look like a female by human standards, but they aren't humans they are pokemon. To a male machop they would definitely look female, but to us it's like trying to tell the gender of something like a crocodile, there isn't any easy outward way to determine that.
They may be Pokemon but they're humanoid Pokemon. Arguing that you can't tell the gender difference at a glance because they aren't actually human doesn't really work. You can (usually) tell the gender difference of Elves, or Klingons. But that's not even the point. Even if, for some magic reason, we can't tell the (nonexistent) difference between the genders the fact that they are designed to look very much like human men can not be ignored. Thus my point stands. They look like dudes.

You can argue that's how female Machops are supposed to look, and you'd be right. But it still doesn't change the fact that they resemble men. It's the same with Gardevoir. Just because that's how the men look doesn't negate the fact that, hey, Dude looks like a lady.

Wait, how is it reinforcing stereotypes if I'm doing the opposite of that stareotype? When almost everyone else won't train a male Lopunny, or a female machop and I'm trying to counteract that by training the overlooked gender.
Because while you may be doing the opposite of that stereotype but, based on what you said before (and that I quoted above), all you're doing is exchanging it for another.

Anyway, I still don't see how different gender specific sprites that are just going to have the pokemon with a different tail position or something like that will really enhance the game. The Kecleon idea sounds good though. If pokemon are going to have different poses it would make sense to base them on their nature so a calm pokemon would have a calm looking sprite and so on. This might be sort of cool, but that would take up an awful lot of room wouldn't it?
I don't see it so much as an enhancement as one of those 'nice little touches' that can be thrown in. Having the Pokemon follow you in HGSS didn't enhance anything, but it was still cool.

The shiny colour is just a Kecleon with a blue stripe. So, a normal Kecleon's stripe wouldn't change colour, and neither would a shinies. After all, they don't disappear in the anime when they go invisible.
Ah, right. Well, then, that settles things with the shinies, then. The body changes to the type color, the stripe says the shiny color. End of problem. :p

Also, give Machoke and Machamp a sports bra...please GameFreak! I don't give a dang about whether or not being butch is a woman thing, but if they are females...'tis indecent exposure.
Hahaha. Oh god, that would be awesome. No need to change the physical design, just toss on a sports bra! I would KILL for that. I'd train up a team of Machamps/Machokes just for the awesome.

And you know, all it would take is some soccer mom going "That's a topless girl!" and start complaining, and Nintendo would do it. XD

You might've established this in your first post, I'm not fully sure, though many Pokemon couldn't have different gender sprites because they are neutral.

A big point that everyone seems to be missing is that machop/choke/champ were gen 1 pokemon, before genders were even introduced. If they decided to add a different sprite for the female one it wouldnt be much different than the male (original) sprite.

That being said I do think it would be cool to see some minor differences in a few pokemon (not all) like the pikachu tail and what have you. Of course that would require quite a bit more data to be stored on the card so keep that in mind all of you that are looking for badass new 3d graphics in this gen

Yeah, I think the pose differences will probably not come along until Pokemon goes 3D in battles. They'll only need one model then and can shape it any way they want. Where as now they'd need a different sprite for each gender/nature/gender&nature.

Stereotypical people don't pay a whole lot of attention to what gender their Pokemon are. I don't look at gender until I catch it and need a name. And yes, slender men (and buff women) exist, I wasn't saying they don't. I was specifically referring to their "AND why I intentionally train masculine pokemon that are actually FEMALE. Girls can be tough to you know." line, which implies that only the masculine/tough looking women are actually tough. There-by merely swapping one (rather minor) stereotype for another (much more common) one.

Okay I think you misinterpreted, I'm NOT trying to say that only tough looking women can be tough. By training the less used gender I'm trying to make the point that there isn't anything wrong with females being tough, masculine, ferocious or that there isn't anything wrong with males looking feminine, docile or beautiful. Machop was already brought up so I used it as an example I wasn't trying to make it seem like the stereotypical body builder butch chick.

They may be Pokemon but they're humanoid Pokemon. Arguing that you can't tell the gender difference at a glance because they aren't actually human doesn't really work. You can (usually) tell the gender difference of Elves, or Klingons. But that's not even the point. Even if, for some magic reason, we can't tell the (nonexistent) difference between the genders the fact that they are designed to look very much like human men can not be ignored. Thus my point stands. They look like dudes.

You can argue that's how female Machops are supposed to look, and you'd be right. But it still doesn't change the fact that they resemble men. It's the same with Gardevoir. Just because that's how the men look doesn't negate the fact that, hey, Dude looks like a lady.

Because while you may be doing the opposite of that stereotype but, based on what you said before (and that I quoted above), all you're doing is exchanging it for another.

Except I hear it's a bit harder to tell with Dwarves...anyway yeah I see your point about specifically Gardevoir and Machop, but people start to apply this trend to more animal like pokemon too like Vulpix, Lopunny, Tyranitar etc. I just really hate the mentality that if it looks ferocious it has to be a male if it looks cute and docile it has to be a female. Like I said I think you misinterpreted me, or I didn't articulate myself well, or a little bit of both.

I am NOT saying in order to be a tough female you have to be buff. Through using a female masculine associated pokemon(Machop, Tyranitar, Salamence) I'm trying to make the point that an attribute generally associated with males (muscles, aggression, etc.) is not exclusive to males.

Hopefully explained myself a bit better this time.

Except I hear it's a bit harder to tell with Dwarves...

It's really easy to tell female dwarves apart from males. They have longer beards.

Just because Machops look like muscular human males doesn't mean that female Machops have to look like muscular human females. In fact I'd say it's a lot more likely that a female Machop would look like a male Machop than it would look like anything else. For one thing pronounced breasts outside of pregnancy is basically a unique mutation in homo sapiens, so I guess maybe female Machops are supposed to have wider hips?

Well, I'm the one who said Vulpix and I didn't mean anything by it other than new poses (and maybe new Gender differences, besides poses) to help distinguish males and females from each other. I also said Buneary to not bring up any Lopunny controversy. I have a female Machamp and she kicks butt against anyone I send her against so I'm not against them but I can't help but feel she's missing something to distinguish her from a male. It doesn't have to be a pronounced difference but there should be a difference between, at least, all Pokemon that are generally assumed to be one gender based on how they look.

Except I hear it's a bit harder to tell with Dwarves...anyway yeah I see your point about specifically Gardevoir and Machop, but people start to apply this trend to more animal like pokemon too like Vulpix, Lopunny, Tyranitar etc. I just really hate the mentality that if it looks ferocious it has to be a male if it looks cute and docile it has to be a female. Like I said I think you misinterpreted me, or I didn't articulate myself well, or a little bit of both.

I am NOT saying in order to be a tough female you have to be buff. Through using a female masculine associated pokemon(Machop, Tyranitar, Salamence) I'm trying to make the point that an attribute generally associated with males (muscles, aggression, etc.) is not exclusive to males.

Hopefully explained myself a bit better this time.
Probably a little of both, then. Sorry. Yeah, much more clear this time. You have to wonder how these people think the dinosaurs survived, or things like Rhinos and Rabbits still survive these days. I admit, they're a little annoying, but I usually don't pay them much attention. Most of them are scared that if they play a non-uber-masculine guy they'll turn into one. And have never had a girlfriend to know just how scary women can be. (Joking, joking. :p)

Also, my Breloom in Emerald is female and she owns just about everything she comes across. <3

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom