• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gender-specific Sprites

Venator

Call me Yusuke
Reaction score
In Generation IV, we got Pokemon who had gender-specific sprites like so:
Spr_4h_194_m.png
Spr_4h_194_f.png

But what if, instead of only separating specific Pokemon sprites based on gender, why not make all Pokemon sprites based on gender? I'm not saying to do it like Wooper and Scizor but instead have completely different poses for male and female pokemon, the sprites based upon the supposed nature of the Pokemon (i.e. Buneary: Have the male look playful while the female has her arms crossed.)

It could work for every Pokemon that people think have a supposed gender, like vulpix, the female looking into the sky and the male posed like a Luxio from PtHGSS.

What do you think?

I really do not think it is that far out there, given Gen IVs differences.

...I'd rather have it kinda the way it is. If any sprites should be changed to be given a difference, I'd say those of Kirlia/Gardevoir and Machop's evolutionary family...

It's not a bad idea but I just don't see that happening.

While I'd like more sprite variety I don't really want that variety to be based on the gender of the pokemon. It gives you less freedom to imagine what your pokemon's personality is by imposing that your female pokemon must look timid and shy instead of strong and determined, or the opposite.

I would hate to have all of my tough female Tyranitar to suddenly have a wimpy looking sprite because of their gender. Biological differences ie female Sizor's larger abdomen are fine but beyond that, no.

What I'd rather see are random differences like tufts of fur or different spot patterns, like Spinda.

I think keeping males and females the same is the equal way to go.

I'd rather they actually make gender differences noticeable, and give more species these differences. Or hell, why not just do all of them?

Carefree Cradily said:
What I'd rather see are random differences like tufts of fur or different spot patterns, like Spinda.

This would also be nice. Also, while this is kinda off topic, perhaps they can introduce more shiny variants with some being more common than others. I dunno, I just want a reason for them to make a red Scyther, or a black Steelix, or a white Kecleon, or a pink Drifloon, or a... Well, you get the idea.

I also want every Pokemon to have little variations like Spinda.

It'll kill Spinda's gimmick, but they could easily give it an evolution to make up for it.

I hardly post here, mostly lurk, but I gotta say this: I hate seeing certain humanoid pokemon *cough Machamp cough* and be like yeah he looks cool! He looks strong! He's a-- a she?! That looks nothing like a guy...

I like it that idea too. The Japanese have come a long way in creating some of these gender differences. No matter what, with the up coming Pokemon Black and White. They may come up with newer and more intriguing gender sprites for us. Like they always say "The world is a mystery."

I hardly post here, mostly lurk, but I gotta say this: I hate seeing certain humanoid pokemon *cough Machamp cough* and be like yeah he looks cool! He looks strong! He's a-- a she?! That looks nothing like a guy...

Very true. With Pokemon like Machamp I purposefully make sure I train up a male one, as I just can't see Machamp being female.
Also, I assume you meant 'that looks nothing like a girl' rather than a guy. =P

Very true. With Pokemon like Machamp I purposefully make sure I train up a male one, as I just can't see Machamp being female.
Also, I assume you meant 'that looks nothing like a girl' rather than a guy. =P

See this is why I don't like the idea of gender specific sprites AND why I intentionally train masculine pokemon that are actually FEMALE. Girls can be tough to you know. *humph* It's like reinforcing stereotypes.

I'd rather they actually make gender differences noticeable, and give more species these differences. Or hell, why not just do all of them?

This would also be nice. Also, while this is kinda off topic, perhaps they can introduce more shiny variants with some being more common than others. I dunno, I just want a reason for them to make a red Scyther, or a black Steelix, or a white Kecleon, or a pink Drifloon, or a... Well, you get the idea.

I agree some variation in shiny pokemon would be cool, how about albino pokemon as well? Maybe make them rare but not quite as rare as shinies?

Machamp and Gardevoir are the special cases in my opinion. For one, Machamp looks like a guy while Gardevoir looks like a girl. But hey, if muscular girls want to walk around with no top or bra on, and guys want to wear dresses and have long hair, I can't stop them.

"Girly" men is just how I like it, which is why I always make sure to get a male Gardevoir. It kills the disgusting gender stereotype, like "only women can be beautiful and wear dresses" and "only men can be body builders".

And the sprites are fine as they are. D: I don't think EVERY Pokemon needs a gender difference.

"Girly" men is just how I like it, which is why I always make sure to get a male Gardevoir. It kills the disgusting gender stereotype, like "only women can be beautiful and wear dresses" and "only men can be body builders".

And the sprites are fine as they are. D: I don't think EVERY Pokemon needs a gender difference.

Can anybody really get away with being a body builder these days? I mean, really?

I would like different poses for male and female sprites. I would also like an idle animation at least for birds, the current way they float in the air bothers me.

Yes, this. I hate such artificial social "borders" a person of certain gender should not cross.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom