• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

General Card Identification Thread

PaulTheProtist

¡Prepárate a morir!
Reaction score
Okay, since I see a lot of users asking about card identification, and since I'm a mod, I decided to post this thread. In this thread, users can ask for help identifying cards, determining the legitimacy of cards, etc. Then I or some other user will help identify the cards.

A few tips for card identification:

- Use the internet. There are many helpful websites on the Internet such as Bulbapedia and PokéBeach that can help you identify cards.

- Most cards have set symbols, which are helpful in identifying a card. The set symbols are on the center right for everything up to the Neo era (aka everything made in the first and second generation of Pokémon except for e-cards) and in the bottom right for everything else (this includes all modern cards). Note that Base Set cards and many energy cards lack set symbols. Here's a list of all the expansions, with set symbols: List of Pokémon Trading Card Game expansions - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

- If you want to identify a fake card, look at the back of it. Real cards have a deep blue border on the back of them. If the border appears faded, the card's fake. Similarly, though not as common if the border's purple, then it's also fake. Every fake I've seen so far can be identified with that method. The image in the spoiler shows the more common faded back of a fake card.
SuspiciousPokemonCardLatios.jpg

Keeping that in mind, if you are posting here for help in card identification, scan the full card, and scan the front AND the back.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom