• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

General Chat Thread

Sadly, I didn't make reqs in time. I tried, but I ended up with a COIL of 2500. I would have voted against it.

No, however I use Aegislash quite a bit Blaze, and I can tell you that it doesn't deserve the ban that it got (I know you were one of those that voted no though, so for that you have my thanks). In fact, Aegislash was one of the few pokemon who was keeping Talonflame's annoying Brave Bird Spam in check in OU with King's Shield, and above all else it had it's checks and counters like Charizard X and Y, Diggersby, Mandibuzz, and Sableye.

Now it's going up into Ubers, which means that it will get completely obliterated by the Pokemon in that tier like Ho-oh, Blaziken, Arceus, and Groudon

No, however I use Aegislash quite a bit Blaze, and I can tell you that it doesn't deserve the ban that it got (I know you were one of those that voted no though, so for that you have my thanks). In fact, Aegislash was one of the few pokemon who was keeping Talonflame's annoying Brave Bird Spam in check in OU with King's Shield, and above all else it had it's checks and counters like Charizard X and Y, Diggersby, Mandibuzz, and Sableye.

Now it's going up into Ubers, which means that it will get completely obliterated by the Pokemon in that tier like Ho-oh, Blaziken, Arceus, and Groudon

You really have no right to complain, in that case. If you really cared then your vote could easily have pushed the balance (the vote was only 2% over the required supermajority). If you tried laddering and couldn't make it then props to you, but it's probably for the best that you didn't make it. Just glancing through your post shows an alarming amount of misinformation - Talonflame doesn't fear Aegislash too much as you can essentially force a KS by threatening Flare Blitz (and if you know your opponent is running SD or Crumbler you can go for the Blitz with impunity instead of forcing mind games with it). Neither Zard enjoys a Shadow Ball to the face (any Mega Charizard from Bulky WoW X to standard Y is KOed by Shadow Ball + Sneak from the Crumbler after Rocks), Diggersby can't switch into Sacred Sword, Mandibuzz flat-out loses to SubToxic, and Sableye takes Shadow Ball like a little bitch because SpA isn't affected by burn. And finally, Aegislash is already used in Ubers, even when it was OU, so you don't need to worry about it's usage - it can play with the big boys very easily.

Before I get too distracted with school, I'd like to run a "Community build a team." I figured the best people to ask for help with this would be, well, the community! Is there a format you guys want to talk about, or would you prefer to focus in on certain lesser used team types / gimmicks? Anything is on the table, I'm just looking for suggestions.

Before I get too distracted with school, I'd like to run a "Community build a team." I figured the best people to ask for help with this would be, well, the community! Is there a format you guys want to talk about, or would you prefer to focus in on certain lesser used team types / gimmicks? Anything is on the table, I'm just looking for suggestions.

I would like to see Team sets that are viable in the OU metagame. Now that Aegislash is gone, pretty sure more sets are going to pop up and under tier mons are going to be OU. Continuing this further, team sets such as the Lost and Forgotten Rain Team, a team based on a Move, or even a Mono-Type team! Ayyyyee~~

I would like to see Team sets that are viable in the OU metagame. Now that Aegislash is gone, pretty sure more sets are going to pop up and under tier mons are going to be OU. Continuing this further, team sets such as the Lost and Forgotten Rain Team, a team based on a Move, or even a Mono-Type team! Ayyyyee~~

Mono-Type? You mean Bird Spam. Best Mono-type in the game. Anyone else remember when Steel was the best Mono in the game?

When I modded here we did one of these to some success. I believe the theme was moustache 'mons.

--

I've been out of the OU loop for quite a while, but still the Aegi ban is pretty shocking. Then again it was pretty much all SD and KS sets back then!

Might I suggest Trick room? While it is certinly more vaiable in Doubles (I'll be the first to admit that,) it can still work decently in Singles and can let you destroy fast 'mons like Garchomp and Alakazam easily.

I actually had thoughts of a dancing team (i.e. Dragon Dance, Swords Dance, Quiver Dance, etc.)
Never got around to it, but maybe someday I will.

Gravity might also work on lower tiers, I remember having Dugtrio as the sweeper when I ran it.

Last edited:
Why don't we just model it after Smogon's CCAT? We have nominations for each Pokémon and the community votes on who they want to be added to the team (this, we choose our team style and whatever based on the first couple Pokémon to be chosen)

So in your opinion, Starmie, or Excadrill?

Imo I prefer Starmie for better speed, Excadrills pretty slow withought scarf or sand rush. Also Starmie has a much better movepool, and I feel it can also be offensive while rapid-spinning away.

Also it can threaten most stuff that sets up rocks.

Last edited:
So in your opinion, Starmie, or Excadrill?

Imo I prefer Starmie for better speed, Excadrills pretty slow withought scarf or sand rush. Also Starmie has a much better movepool, and I feel it can also be offensive while rapid-spinning away.

Also it can threaten most stuff that sets up rocks.

Excadrill. Not as slow as you'd think. Base 88 Speed is nothing to laugh at. Outspeeds and OHKOs every single Rotom form if the ability is Mold Breaker. Base 135 Attack is also great to hit with moves like Earthquake, Iron Head, and Rock Throw.

Not to say that Starmie doesn't have its own positives such as a base 115 Speed or a base 100 SpA as well as access to Scald and Psyshock, its just not as good as it once was. Its only useful ability is Natural Cure, defenses are lacking at 60/85/85 which makes its Recover less useful. Starmie just hasn't been all too hot since Gen 4. If I were to use it I would use it in a Rain team.

I mean I'm not doubting Excadrill's power, Also, Rock throw?

Analytic is viable. It's hard to switch in on an Analytic boosted attacks. Starmie it can do well against Keldeo, un-scarfed Gengar (Assuming I have hazards to break sash, and Gengar is the only OU spin-blocker left RIP Aegislash), Garchomp (Ice Beam as third move assuming), and Lando. It also hit's a lot of things like Azu and Gyarados with Thunderbolt. Psyshock can 2HKO Blissey with some previous damage.

Withought sand Excadrill isn't as viable as Starmie on it's own imo.

I mean I'm not doubting Excadrill's power, Also, Rock throw?

Analytic is viable. It's hard to switch in on an Analytic boosted attacks. Starmie it can do well against Keldeo, un-scarfed Gengar (Assuming I have hazards to break sash, and Gengar is the only OU spin-blocker left RIP Aegislash), Garchomp (Ice Beam as third move assuming), and Lando. It also hit's a lot of things like Azu and Gyarados with Thunderbolt. Psyshock can 2HKO Blissey with some previous damage.

Withought sand Excadrill isn't as viable as Starmie on it's own imo.

Mean Rock Slide.

Also with Analytic I'm not sure we're looking at the same attack. Analytic increases your attacking power if your opponent has already moved during that turn. Only thing that Starmie will be useful with Analytic against is priority.

The point is, it's hard to switch into with analytic. I understand what Analytic does.

And those are examples of things it can hit hard. Withought Analytic.

Excadrill is better. Better bulk, better power, better typing, better abilities, better versatility (Sand Rush sweeper, Air Balloon, Assault Vest, Choice Scarf, etc). Starmie has gotten better since the Aegis ban but it's still mediocre.

Mean Rock Slide.

Also with Analytic I'm not sure we're looking at the same attack. Analytic increases your attacking power if your opponent has already moved during that turn. Only thing that Starmie will be useful with Analytic against is priority.
As Forgotten implied, Analytic also boosts power during switches. So no, it's not useless at all.

I use Analytic on my Starmie, I don't know if Natural Cure is a better choice or not.

Mean Rock Slide.

As Forgotten implied, Analytic also boosts power during switches. So no, it's not useless at all.

I use Analytic on my Starmie, I don't know if Natural Cure is a better choice or not.

Natural Cure is far better. Gets rid of statuses when you switch out. I'd rather have that over an ability where it only works if your opponent swaps out.

Mean Rock Slide.

Analytic is generally considered better

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom