• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

General Mega Evolution Thread

Lysson

Reaction score
This thread is for you to discuss your own and each other's mega Pokemon. This way you can help each other out in various ways. So basically don't talk about how it looks but how it fights!

You can also discuss how they fare in battle and which ones you think work the best and what team complements them.

Mega Pokemon are exclusive to gen 6 as that was the generation it was introduced and the Pokemon you want to mega evolve must be holding a its respective mega stone!

(I don't think there's a competitive thread of the Megas but if there is feel free to delete/close this one)

Mega Pinsir is awesome. SD+Aerialiate+Quick Attack. Pinsir+Rhyperior/Hippowdon+Starmie could maybe be good? Rhyperior/Hippowdon for Talonflame and Starmie for spinner. Add something that kills Ice effectively to that.

Mega Pinsir is awesome. SD+Aerialiate+Quick Attack. Pinsir+Rhyperior/Hippowdon+Starmie could maybe be good? Rhyperior/Hippowdon for Talonflame and Starmie for spinner. Add something that kills Ice effectively to that.

I agree with you that M.Pinsir is good, but I personally prefer to use this set:

Pinsir @Pinsirnite
Nature: Adamant, EVs: 252 Atk. and Speed, 4 HP
Ability: Moxie>Aerialate
X-scissor
Quick attack
Earthquake
Storm throw

The main idea of this set is to come in on an opponent low on HP, use Quick attack to (hopefully) get a Moxie boost and sweep for as long as you can, with EQ and Storm throw for coverage moves. Also, why Storm throw over Brick break? Just personal preference, I guess.

I agree with you that M.Pinsir is good, but I personally prefer to use this set:

Pinsir @Pinsirnite
Nature: Adamant, EVs: 252 Atk. and Speed, 4 HP
Ability: Moxie>Aerialate
X-scissor
Quick attack
Earthquake
Storm throw

The main idea of this set is to come in on an opponent low on HP, use Quick attack to (hopefully) get a Moxie boost and sweep for as long as you can, with EQ and Storm throw for coverage moves. Also, why Storm throw over Brick break? Just personal preference, I guess.

Frustration is the only move you really need, with EQ for Aegislash. The sheer power of SD (you can 2HKO Skarmory with +2 Frustration after a little prior damage) is too good to pass up. X-Scissor provides literally no notable coverage, and Storm Throw is 100% inferior to Close Combat (who you would never use anyway cause TTar, your main target, runs Scarf sometimes just to fuck over CC MPinsir, plus it would leave you defenseless against Aegislash). And finally, you would never put 4 in HP at Level 100 because it gives an even HP number, which means that 2 switches into SR kills you.

Mega Banette anyone? Yeah, it's bad, but not that bad. On lower tiers this is what I run:
Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Knock Off

It's like a Sableye, but a weaker one. It's a good lead, and you can also take someone down with you with D. Bond. However, other hazard pokemon can outspeed it right before mega evolving.

Mega Banette is anything but bad. If played right, it can cripple or hit hard half of the opposing team and give a guaranteed KO with Destiny Bond.
If anything, it has a 4MSS.

The thing that screws it over is Prankster not activating Turn 1, forcing you to either run Protect (then you have 3MSS!) or else give the opponent a free turn to hammer you while you're still slow. If it weren't for that I'd see it being high UU/low OU

And even with that being a disadvantage in general, free scouting with Frisk can sometimes prove to be very helpful (although I'm not saying that it is superior to Prankster in general, obviously).

Mega Blastoise as a rapid spinner, anyone?

Blastoise @Blastoisinite
Bold
Mega Launcher (duh)
Can't quite remember EV spread but: Lots of HP and Def investment w/ some Sp. Atk and 8 Atk.
- Water Pulse
- Rapid Spin'
- Aura Sphere
- Aqua Jet

Takes plenty of hits, brings Ferrothorns down easily enough, doesn't take extra damage from rocks, and nobody ever expects the aqua jet. Honestly, hasn't failed me yet.

Looks like it would fail a lot since it doesn't have Dark Pulse. The only reason to use MBlastoise over Exca is it's ability to beat every spinblocker 1v1 - there's a reason Aqua Jet isn't standard, it's because you're squandering that ability. Plus, Hydro Pump is stronger than Mega Launcher Water Pulse so you oughta use that or Scald (who is only slightly weaker but has the 100000x more useful and reliable burn as an effect instead of confuse).

Guess I'll post a few Mega sets I've used in the past, so here is M-Scizor, M-Manectric, and my shortly used M-Charizard Y.

M-Scizor @ Scizorite
Adamant
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Technician>Technician
U-Turn
Bullet Punch
Night Slash / Pursuit
Roost

Used this in season one of the BBL after I un-retired from competitive. Not an optimized set but hey, it helped me beat 8 leaders.

M-Manectric @ Manectrite
Timid
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
LightningRod>Intimidate
Volt Switch
Thunder
Flamethrower
Protect

Used this on a VolTurn team I used on Showdown a couple of times. Probably could have went with HP Ice over Thunder but I stuck with Thunder because I had a Heliolisk with Rain Dance on it. M-Manectric had insane speed. Greatly underrated.

M-Charizard Y @ Charizardite Y
Timid
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Blaze>Drought
Fire Blast
Dragon Pulse
Air Slash
Protect

Used in the Mega tournament. Got me to the second round. Probably could have gone all the if Apawn didn't lose. Probably as best as it could get for a 1v1 tourney. Definitely would not recommend using on a standard 6v6 team.

Been using my Mega Lucario for quite some time and love him. Here's what he runs:

Lucario (Knuckles) @Lucarioite
Nature: Jolly, EVs: 252 Atk. and Speed, 4 HP
Ability: Adaptability
Close Combat
Comet Punch
Earthquake
Crunch

I don't need Extreme Speed on him as I already have many other hard hitting priority users in my team.

Been using my Mega Lucario for quite some time and love him. Here's what he runs:

Close Combat
Comet Punch
Earthquake
Crunch

I don't need Extreme Speed on him as I already have many other hard hitting priority users in my team.

Yes, you do. Comet Punch is garbage, and no matter how many priority users you have on your team, MLuke cannot sweep without ESpeed if even 1 Talonflame/Mach Punch user is alive on the opponent's side. Also, you really oughta use SD over EQ.

Close Combat
Comet Punch
Earthquake
Crunch

Yes, you do. Comet Punch is garbage, and no matter how many priority users you have on your team, MLuke cannot sweep without ESpeed if even 1 Talonflame/Mach Punch user is alive on the opponent's side. Also, you really oughta use SD over EQ.

The Earthquake works fine for me as I have a baton pass user to give me the attack boost and speed boost I need. Is Extreme Speed really that good? I like to use Comet Punch to kill Fairies but Extreme Speed never seemed that good when I used it. I mostly do Triple battles and Rotation battles.
What's the damage like for Extreme Speed over Comet Punch?

has anyone had any luck with m-alakazam? I've been trying to figure out a viable use for him but he just doesn't seem as good as sash-alakazam. I'd rather magic guard and trace is situationally effective (and you need to mega-evolve first, meaning you can switch in on a water absorb water attack / flash fire fire attack unless you've already mega evolved.)

also curious about mega-aerodactyl. I' haven't playtested him at all, my initial opinion of him was that he was mediocre, has anyone had any success?

Close Combat
Comet Punch
Earthquake
Crunch

The Earthquake works fine for me as I have a baton pass user to give me the attack boost and speed boost I need. Is Extreme Speed really that good? I like to use Comet Punch to kill Fairies but Extreme Speed never seemed that good when I used it. I mostly do Triple battles and Rotation battles.
What's the damage like for Extreme Speed over Comet Punch?

I think you mean Bullet Punch. ESpeed = BP vs anything but Fairy (BP = 2ES), Rock (BP=4ES) Ice (BP = 2ES), Water, Fire, or Electric (2BP=ES for all 3). The reason ES is 100% better than BP is Talonflame - ES out prioritized Brave Bird.

has anyone had any luck with m-alakazam? I've been trying to figure out a viable use for him but he just doesn't seem as good as sash-alakazam. I'd rather magic guard and trace is situationally effective (and you need to mega-evolve first, meaning you can switch in on a water absorb water attack / flash fire fire attack unless you've already mega evolved.)

also curious about mega-aerodactyl. I' haven't playtested him at all, my initial opinion of him was that he was mediocre, has anyone had any success?

No clue about how M-Alakazam works but M-Aerodactyl is fun to play with. I playtested M-Aerodactyl paired with Charizard for a couple of battles for Flinch hax in VGC 2014 on Showdown. Once Togekiss is legal in VGC I think Togekiss and M-Aerodactyl with be a great pair for Parahaxxing.

things that i've heard on smogon:

i've heard some good things about megazam. no focus sash is very unfortunate and trace has less all-around utility than magic guard, i think, but it still does reasonably well. taunt / psyshock / shadow ball / focus blast is the most common set, i think. i don't know wholly what it does (i think it's mostly supposed to be a faster, minutely stronger alakazam that abuses trace), but it's apparently decent. honestly i'd rather use sashzam most of the time but megazam does have some perks apparently (imagine copying protean, sheer force, swift swim, magic bounce, etc.). m-aero is also decent. faces a lot of competition for the mega slot but it's fairly bulky and very fast. tough claws makes it very strong. i was trying to get a hone claws/fly set going but i never got around to it. solid m-venu and keldeo "check", generally beats pinsir. has a pretty unique set of resistances but it's fairly difficult to use properly, i think, since its main coverage moves are fairly weak and without any boosting move it doesn't seem very good against bulkier teams. idk maybe i'll edit this a bit later

Mega Banette anyone? Yeah, it's bad, but not that bad. On lower tiers this is what I run:
Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Knock Off

It's like a Sableye, but a weaker one. It's a good lead, and you can also take someone down with you with D. Bond. However, other hazard pokemon can outspeed it right before mega evolving.

The only tier I've used it in is RU and it was great there. (I've also used it a lot on Battle Spot.) The Sp.Def set is cool because if needed you can take a Specs Meteor from Latios and survive with Shadow Claw having a 60% chance to KO and Knock Off just missing the KO, but if you have Sneak you can kill it next turn (and I know Latios isn't RU but I'm just demonstrating that it isn't that frail with investment while still having decent offensive capability with that huge Attack stat).

252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 220+ SpD Mega Banette: 267-315 (80.4 - 94.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The most annoying thing I found when using it was that there's so many moves I wanted (needed) to use. Knock Off/Shadow Claw/Sneak/Wisp/D-Bond/Taunt. Pain Split isn't that necessary, but is its only move to recover with, then there's T-wave if you need the clutch Prankster T-wave similar to how Thundurus can use it for something else to kill. And when battling I just kept thinking to myself "I really wish I had X here".

Set I've used most is Sp.Def with Knock Off/Shadow Sneak/Wisp/D-Bond, though I know that Adamant is preferred by a lot of the good players (e.g. not me).

It's one of my favourite Megas to use, but its stat spread isn't as good as it could have been, and Prankster not activating first turn means you either have to send it in to pressure a Pokemon with Knock Off to get that turn or use Protect which takes up a moveslot that you really want to use something else for.

Also it should have been part Dark

Not really sure if this goes here, but Mega Altaria + Mega Lopunny were just leaked at CoroCoro scans.

Quote from Smogon's tweet:
"BREAKING: Mega Altaria (Dragon/Fairy w/Pixilate) and Mega Lopunny (Normal/Fighting w/Scrappy) confirmed."

So Altaria gets Dragon Immunity, and Pixilated Hyper Voice/Hyper Beam/Return. But she already has Moonblast XD

As for Lopunny, I'm guessing it would go to OU with a Scrappy Return/Jump Kick, depending on the mega stat spread it gets. Looking forward to using these!

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom