• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

General Mega Evolution Thread

Not really sure if this goes here, but Mega Altaria + Mega Lopunny were just leaked at CoroCoro scans.

Quote from Smogon's tweet:
"BREAKING: Mega Altaria (Dragon/Fairy w/Pixilate) and Mega Lopunny (Normal/Fighting w/Scrappy) confirmed."

So Altaria gets Dragon Immunity, and Pixilated Hyper Voice/Hyper Beam/Return. But she already has Moonblast XD

As for Lopunny, I'm guessing it would go to OU with a Scrappy Return/Jump Kick, depending on the mega stat spread it gets. Looking forward to using these!

Don't forget Aerilate MSalamence

I just saw that! It looks so derp :D
Looks like Double Edge/Thrash Salamence might be a thing, but I still prefer its Scarf/Specs/LO set. Besides all it does is spam Draco Meteor/Outrage.

I'm hoping the shards we find in OR/AS can be used for move tutor.

M-Lopunny the Aegislash destroyer.

M-Altaria is in the same position as M-Gardevoir but can use Dragon Pulse as well.

M-Salamence with Aerilate? Possible usage of Double Edge? Usage of Hyper Voice for mixed/special sets? Hell maybe Body Slam.

Good group of Mega's this month. Some surprising, M-Salamence not so much.

EDIT: Guess I'll give a go on Lopunny's updated stats.

Current: 65/76/84/54/96/105
Mega: 65/126(+50)/94(+10)/74(+20)/96/125(+20)

Addition of Fighting type will definitely have a huge increase on Attack. Defense will get rounded slightly, Special Attack because why not, and Speed to make it pretty terrifying.

EDIT2: Guess I'll do M-Salamence and M-Altaria too.

Salamence

Current: 95/135/80/110/80/100
Mega: 95/170(+35)/95(+15)/145(+35)/95(+15)/100

Add some bulk and pure power to Salamence and it will be as scary as it was in Gen 4.

Altaria

Current: 75/70/90/70/105/80
Mega: 75/90(+20)/120(+30)/115(+45)/120(+15)/70(-10)

Basic adding bulk and attack and taking away speed.

Last edited:
Lopunny I don't see making a splash, its stats are just too low and it doesn't get an amazing ability like Mawile.

Altaria I could see UU or OU if they play the stats right.

Salamence will most certainly jump back to OU, it looks much faster now and its Frustration will probably be even stronger than Pinsir's. I don't see why you guys are thinking about Thrash and Body Slam when Return is perfectly serviceable. Double Edge may get usage if it secured KOs Frustration doesn't, but I wouldn't count on it.

Lopunny I don't see making a splash, its stats are just too low and it doesn't get an amazing ability like Mawile.

Scrappy on a Normal/Fighting not making a splash? That is the bane of a Ghost types existence. High chance of Lopunny becoming a counter to Aegislash if stats are played well, plus the many other Ghosts that could be taken care of. No way M-Lopunny stays below BL for long.

Not to mention, Mega-Salamence can run the standard Dragon Dance/Moxie sets that it used to run, kill some things and get up some boosts with Moxie, Mega-Evolve, and then wreck things with Aerilate Return and what will probably be ridiculously-boosted Att/SpAttack (I think it gets Hyper Voice, if anyone wants to break Subs?)

/don't mind me!

Although, I look forward to running Klutz Lopunny with Lopunnite...

Possibly have a fourth mega coming. The 3 mega scans look like 3 quarters of a circle. Any hopes for the last one?

Give me Mega Cacturne or Mega Torkoal and I'll be happy XD

Scrappy on a Normal/Fighting not making a splash? That is the bane of a Ghost types existence. High chance of Lopunny becoming a counter to Aegislash if stats are played well, plus the many other Ghosts that could be taken care of. No way M-Lopunny stays below BL for long.

Kangaskhan, Miltank, Pangoro, and Exploid never made splashes and they're all Normal or Fighting types with Scrappy. Note that Lopunny's best Fighting move, Jump Kick, is basically begging to be King's Shield-ed for half Lopunny's HP and a 2 stage attack drop and there's no way Aegis is dropping just for this.

I must be the only one that thinks Salamencite will be banned to Ubers. Seriously. Pinsir with Aerilate made it one of the deadliest sweepers in the meta. Imagine it on a Poke with a 700 BST, is a Dragon/Flying type, and can run Flamethrower/Earthquake to kill everything that resists flying. It would only increase the need for priority Ice users like Weavile or Mamo and other forms of Priority like WillOWisp Sableye. It could be the potential MegaLuke or MegaKang of ORAS and I wouldn't be surprised to see it get banned quickly. Still, we don't know anything about it's stats, and for all we know it might not even have an increase to Attack at all (look at MDiancie) but no matter what it'll be very good, it gets access to Hyper Voice so I think we can expect full special sets (at least a lot of mixed)

Mega Altaria I can see making a huge leap, but I don't know if it has what it needs to compete with MGardevoir, as Gard will probably have much more SpA than MAltaria will and has access to STAB Psyshock. If it's going to make a claim in OU it'll be because of it's typing, and maybe some of its movepool. MLoppuny I could see making a leap to UU at the least, it's typing is good with Scrappy but its stats probably won't be getting it far. We don't know any of these Pokes' typing yet, so it's gonna be hard to make a definite claim.

Also, Icicle Crash Pikachu. Wat

I must be the only one that thinks Salamencite will be banned to Ubers. Seriously. Pinsir with Aerilate made it one of the deadliest sweepers in the meta. Imagine it on a Poke with a 700 BST, is a Dragon/Flying type, and can run Flamethrower/Earthquake to kill everything that resists flying. It would only increase the need for priority Ice users like Weavile or Mamo and other forms of Priority like WillOWisp Sableye. It could be the potential MegaLuke or MegaKang of ORAS and I wouldn't be surprised to see it get banned quickly. Still, we don't know anything about it's stats, and for all we know it might not even have an increase to Attack at all (look at MDiancie) but no matter what it'll be very good, it gets access to Hyper Voice so I think we can expect full special sets (at least a lot of mixed)

Mega Altaria I can see making a huge leap, but I don't know if it has what it needs to compete with MGardevoir, as Gard will probably have much more SpA than MAltaria will and has access to STAB Psyshock. If it's going to make a claim in OU it'll be because of it's typing, and maybe some of its movepool. MLoppuny I could see making a leap to UU at the least, it's typing is good with Scrappy but its stats probably won't be getting it far. We don't know any of these Pokes' typing yet, so it's gonna be hard to make a definite claim.

Also, Icicle Crash Pikachu. Wat

Salamence utterly lacks priority so I'm somewhat skeptical of it making the jump to Ubers - part of what makes Pinsir so threatening is Quick Attack. Ice Shard from Weavile, Mamoswine, and MAbomasnow (lol) will be hugely helpful in keeping MSalamence in check, as well as various Sucker Pinches, Extreme Speeds, and Scarf'd mons as it can't hold Yache Berry or Focus Sash due to the Mega Stone.

Hmm kinda expected something like Lopunny getting a Mega, Altaria was a surprise as I wanted more non-Dragon Megas. Dragon/Fairy looks good offensively but it also gains more weaknesses, most notably to Steel which resists both STABs. The one edge it has over M-Gardevoir is recovery with Roost, depending on the stats I'm thinking something like Dragon Pulse/Hyper Voice/Fire Blast/Roost, I wouldn't mind if it gets Defog.

And welcome back to Salamence.

Hmm kinda expected something like Lopunny getting a Mega, Altaria was a surprise as I wanted more non-Dragon Megas. Dragon/Fairy looks good offensively but it also gains more weaknesses, most notably to Steel which resists both STABs. The one edge it has over M-Gardevoir is recovery with Roost, depending on the stats I'm thinking something like Dragon Pulse/Hyper Voice/Fire Blast/Roost, I wouldn't mind if it gets Defog.

And welcome back to Salamence.

...which would basically give us a Lati with a Fairy STAB and a Steel weakness

Altaria is going UU minimum with this. I don't think OU would be pushing it either, but it would depend on its new stats and all the other Megas we get (so what the metagame ends up like), as of course you can only have one per team. It won't be lower than UU though, that beautiful typing and the potential for both physical and special offensive sets, as well as defensive ones will push it up. It can deal with a lot of the scary mons in UU like Hydreigon, Mienshao, Heracross, Infernape, Victini, Mega Houndoom, (and possible Volcarona if it is allowed back) etc. It has its perks which will make it usable in OU, but it depends whether other, better Megas will push it down. Fairy is THAT good of a typing tbh.

Lopunny is hard to call, because it feels like another Banette situation where it'll have everything it needs but it'll be let down by something. It's obviously not staying NU though. So RU will love another Mega, unless it moves higher.

There's no way Salamence isn't moving up to OU with this.

I'm guessing UU for Mega Lopunny. It's going to be very fast, unlike many other fighting types. It has some obvious advantages over other fast fighting types, like Infernape, Meinshao, Cobalion, and Virizion. It can hit ghost types on the switch without needing to predict, and can have perfect coverage in just two attacks, giving it more free reign with its move selection. Healing Wish, Thunder Wave, Power Up Punch, Baton Pass, Cosmic Power, Encore, Quick Attack, Drain Punch, and Heal Bell are other moves it can use. It should make for a good Baton Passer with its good bulk and unavoidable Power Up Punch, the latter also helping it sweep.

It does have problems, though. While it hits hard with High Jump Kick and has perfect neutral coverage, the fact of the matter is that its Return simply doesn't hit all that hard. Assuming it has 116 base attack (+40), neutral nature Return hits about as hard as base 75 attack holding a Life Orb, also with a neutral nature. If it's against a fighting-resist, it will be doing less damage than the coverage move/secondary STAB move of other fast fighting types. Also, even while its High Jump Kick hits hard, it's significantly weaker than LO Infernape's Close Combat and especially LO Meinshao's High Jump Kick. And while a ghost immunity is cool, it's not resistant to as much as the others (save Meinshao).

That said, all the other fast fighting-types are in UU or higher. Even if it hits RU, its status as the only really fast one there should be enough to boost it to UU. It's not like it's really outclassed by them anyways, it has its own advantages which I mentioned earlier.

I did all this reasoning in like the last thirty minutes or so, I don't expect at all that it's perfect. Also it's like five in the morning so I'm likely stupid due to that.

For its status, I'm assuming somefin around 65/116/104/54/116/125. I couldn't be that far off, could I?

Last edited:
I love Mega Altaria's typing - it will definitely be one to watch for me. It has so many resistances, as well as an immunity to one of the most popular types. Its weaknesses though, are fairly common threats. Mega Metagross will probably destroy it, but otherwise, I can see it being a fine tank.

also curious about mega-aerodactyl. I' haven't playtested him at all, my initial opinion of him was that he was mediocre, has anyone had any success?
I used Mega Aerodactyl for a while in the VGC14 metagame before I recently transition to Mega Charizard X. Aerodactyl is pretty cool, especially as its high speed means that you can have an attack boosting nature and still not need to max out the speed EVs to outspeed a lot of threats, giving you a little more to invest in bulking it up. My set-up was:

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure (if I re-bred it, I'd probably go with Unnerve, but I bred mine before Pokémon Bank was released)
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 98HP, 252 Atk, 160 Speed
Moveset:
- Rock Slide
- Dragon Claw / Ice Fang
- Crunch
- Protect

I found it to be a pretty good Mega. Not sure how it would handle itself in other metagames though.

I'm guessing UU for Mega Lopunny. It's going to be very fast, unlike many other fighting types. It has some obvious advantages over other fast fighting types, like Infernape, Meinshao, Cobalion, and Virizion. It can hit ghost types on the switch without needing to predict, and can have perfect coverage in just two attacks, giving it more free reign with its move selection. Healing Wish, Thunder Wave, Power Up Punch, Baton Pass, Cosmic Power, Encore, Quick Attack, Drain Punch, and Heal Bell are other moves it can use. It should make for a good Baton Passer with its good bulk and unavoidable Power Up Punch, the latter also helping it sweep.

It does have problems, though. While it hits hard with High Jump Kick and has perfect neutral coverage, the fact of the matter is that its Return simply doesn't hit all that hard. Assuming it has 116 base attack (+40), neutral nature Return hits about as hard as base 75 attack holding a Life Orb, also with a neutral nature. If it's against a fighting-resist, it will be doing less damage than the coverage move/secondary STAB move of other fast fighting types. Also, even while its High Jump Kick hits hard, it's significantly weaker than LO Infernape's Close Combat and especially LO Meinshao's High Jump Kick. And while a ghost immunity is cool, it's not resistant to as much as the others (save Meinshao).

That said, all the other fast fighting-types are in UU or higher. Even if it hits RU, its status as the only really fast one there should be enough to boost it to UU. It's not like it's really outclassed by them anyways, it has its own advantages which I mentioned earlier.

I think the best set for it will be SubPunch with Return and whatever you want in the last slot. A 100% safe STAB Focus Punch, even from a mediocre Attack stat, is going to hurt everything that doesn't resist it. For everything else, there's MasterCard Return. Cosmic Power can make the sub harder to break, or you can spread status behind your sub. Or Fake Out and Quick Attack for priority shenanigans.

Lopunny really needs a recovery move that doesn't kill it. :(

Cosmic Power will be crap on MLopunny. Not even defensive mons use Cosmoc Power because boosting Defenses without Atk is basically begging for a crit or for something 10x as threatening as you to boost alongside. The only thing that should ever use Cosmic Power is Sigilyph.

In that case there's still those dozen or so other options, depending on what fits your team.

Unaware Clefable can make use of Cosmic Power too.

Anyway, I don't see Lopunny making it to OU. Altaria will probably go to OU by virtue of its typing alone. The only Fairy type in UU is Florges, and it's stats are pretty lopsided. Altaria will actually be able to take hits well on both sides and pack a decent punch thanks to Pixilate + Hyper Voice. I'm thinking it'll have stats similar to MVenu. Mega Salamence just seems strange. It'll definitely be OU by sheer usage alone, but IDK how effective it will be if MMawile is still around, as well as Sylveon and Azumarill. Return really hurts though, even unboosted, and it will be a great answer to MVenu. Mence will be good against Gen VI stall in general.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom