• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

General Pokémon: Black and White Preview Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Are you concerned about dubbed Best Wishes?

Id think TPCi rather get a newbie then pay a bucket load of money for Vic.

Isn't that TPCi's specialty?

As much as I hate Vic, he would work for Dent. I think an unknown could pull it off just as well. Dent's role doesn't need as much talent as some roles, it just needs a consistent attitude.

Yes, I'm concerned about the Best Wishes dub. And as usual, I'm only worried about the voices. XD

Whether or not I watch the new series, it all depends on what happens with the voices... Of course, I doubt that what I WANT to happen will actually happen in Best Wishes (but if it did, it would make me extremely happy, lol).

However, with all the changes coming in Best Wishes, it would be nice to see some familiarity brought back into the dub. At the very least, they could do something nice to bring back the nostalgia. I don't think that's too much to ask.

I just hope they get some good VA for Iris and Dent.
Me too.

But with Ash (in Best Wishes) acting the same way that he did back in season one, that bothers me... =(

I mean, can TPCi really have a reboot of the entire Pokemon dub, without doing anything for nostalgia's sake? Is that even possible? I just don't see how that's going to work, that's all. =/

argh...i don't expect anything US dubbed (pokemon) to be good nowadays :(
i don't like the new VAs....
(oh and the new openings suck so bad )
I second this. Those are my exact thoughts on the TPCi dub. =)

Although, I have to admit, I do like the opening themes. But that's probably the only thing from the TPCi dub that I actually like, lol. XD

Anyway, now that I think about it, they did bring back Rachael Lillis for Maylene. So, maybe they could bring back Eric Stuart and he could voice Dent? =P They could do that for nostalgia purposes, because Best Wishes is gonna be similar to season one/Kanto in some ways (or so I've heard).

I could see that happening. And it wouldn't be too much of a stretch, seeing as how Mike Pollock, Lisa Ortiz, Dan Green, and a dozen other 4Kids VAs are working on the show.

Why not have them go get Jason Griffith up the block? or go out of their way to get Veronica Taylor as Iris?
Haha, yeah, that sounds exactly like TPCi, using Jason Griffith for another role. He's been on Pokemon quite a few times, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did use Jason Griffith.

And omg, it would be awesome to see Veronica Taylor return and voice Iris! I'd love that! If they brought her back just for that role, I would be happy. Sure, it wouldn't be as epic as her voicing Ash again, but at least she would be working on Pokemon. So yeah, I think it would be really nice if TPCi brought Veronica back as Iris. =)

Of course, this is TPCi we're talking about, so I don't expect them to do something super-nice like that... But anything is possible. ^^

Last edited:

Iris's JNP voice actor is 18 meanin' I dont want some 30 y/old woman voicein' her I want a 17-19y/old girl n I want them to not stereotype her cause she's black.

Last edited:

No offense, but I don't see how they could get a 14 year old girl to voice Iris. They'll probably just hire Dawn's VA to voice her, or get Lisa Ortiz (or someone else). =P

Anyway, I personally don't think age matters when it comes to voice acting. But that's just my opinion.

Oh please, they're not going to stereotype Iris :/. She doesn't even do anything stereotypical lol. I just hope they don't make Dent super flamboyant or something.

And after that whole fiasco back in 06, it is highly unlikely they're going to bring back Taylor to voice Iris, much less Ash ahha.

Whoever they get, they're gonna be New York locals, currently if not previously. Last I checked, when Vic's not in TX he's in LA, making me doubtful he'd swing by to audition for a full time role in NY on the side. To be honest, I hope they find some fresh blood; someone new or not used enough. That was one perk of TAJ Studios' term, they brought 20+ VAs to the table we might not have ever heard otherwise.
Anyway, now that I think about it, they did bring back Rachael Lillis for Maylene. So, maybe they could bring back Eric Stuart and he could voice Dent? =P They could do that for nostalgia purposes, because Best Wishes is gonna be similar to season one/Kanto in some ways (or so I've heard).
Last I heard, he headed out to Nashville for his singing career; other than the new Slayers dub last year, I don't think he's done much voice acting lately. Can't see him moving back for this, and that's A-OK by me, which is all I'll say on the matter. ;)

No offense, but I don't see how they could get a 14 year old girl to voice Iris. They'll probably just hire Dawn's VA to voice her, or get Lisa Ortiz (or someone else). =P

Anyway, I personally don't think age matters when it comes to voice acting. But that's just my opinion.

Depends if Dawn's VA wants to voice a character for another 170+ episodes. If she can make a good voice for a wild girl with actual emotions cause' VA sometimes just dont give a fuck after vain' a character for a long time. Iris sounds high pitched cute n soft so I just think TPCi would be better off gettin' a new one.

Depends if Dawn's VA wants to voice a character for another 170+ episodes. If she can make a good voice for a wild girl with actual emotions cause' VA sometimes just dont give a fuck after vain' a character for a long time. Iris sounds high pitched cute n soft so I just think TPCi would be better off gettin' a new one.

VA work for a living, they don't care for how long they voice a character, as long as they have a job.

Lisa Ortiz, with the right direction, could easily do Iris. I trust Tom Wayland almost as much as I trust Darren Dunstan, so TCPi is off in good hands.

Oh, just to prove there is no 4kids v TCPi in the actors minds, Tom Wayland, the voice director for Pokemon, does two characters in Yugioh 5Ds down the road at 4kids. The director is doing two voices at 4kids. I don't know if Darren Dunstan has gone over to TCPi for Pokemon though, someone want to confirm if he has voiced for Pokemon recently?

Vic lives in Texas. Why would he voice for a show being produced in NYC? The only VA that travels often is Sean Schemmel, and that is to do only one voice, Goku. No other VA travels often enough for a main character.

EDIT: About Eric Stuart, I don't believe he voice acts anymore, or he would have been in something 4kids in the past year.

Last edited:

VA work for a living, they don't care for how long they voice a character, as long as they have a job.

Lisa Ortiz, with the right direction, could easily do Iris. I trust Tom Wayland almost as much as I trust Darren Dunstan, so TCPi is off in good hands.

Oh, just to prove there is no 4kids v TCPi in the actors minds, Tom Wayland, the voice director for Pokemon, does two characters in Yugioh 5Ds down the road at 4kids. The director is doing two voices at 4kids. I don't know if Darren Dunstan has gone over to TCPi for Pokemon though, someone want to confirm if he has voiced for Pokemon recently?

Vic lives in Texas. Why would he voice for a show being produced in NYC? The only VA that travels often is Sean Schemmel, and that is to do only one voice, Goku. No other VA travels often enough for a main character.

EDIT: About Eric Stuart, I don't believe he voice acts anymore, or he would have been in something 4kids in the past year.

Adult Voice actors work for a livin' n yes some care bout' how long they voice characters. Some dont want to be tied down to one location n order to VA n want to persue actin' or other va jobs. Some just get n to voice actin' just to become actors.

Actually Vic would travel to York City to va a character but I doubt TPCi is finna pay a shit load of money just for him. I know Lauren Bailey travels from place to place to va.

I don't know if Darren Dunstan has gone over to TCPi for Pokemon though, someone want to confirm if he has voiced for Pokemon recently?

Once, he was the Ampharos Train Engineer.

It'll be interesting to see who's credited as main cast for season 14. Sarah Natochenny, Michele Knotz and Jimmy Zoppi aren't going anywhere. I reckon they'll keep Bill Rogers because he voices about 20,000 Pokemon, but I honestly don't know whether they'll keep Emily Jenness in top billing.

It'll be interesting to see who's credited as main cast for season 14. Sarah Natochenny, Michele Knotz and Jimmy Zoppi aren't going anywhere. I reckon they'll keep Bill Rogers because he voices about 20,000 Pokemon, but I honestly don't know whether they'll keep Emily Jenness in top billing.

Do those three have exclusive deals with TCPi, I never hear them in anything 4kids dubs.

Well, the story is that Zoppi (who's been Gary Oak since day 1) was blacklisted from 4Kids after jumping ship to work for PUSA at season 9. The other two haven't worked for 4Kids, though.

4kids sure r jerks not workin' with him cause he helped TPCi is like sayin' you can't have any fruit loops cause you ate some frosted flakes.

4kids sure r jerks not workin' with him cause he helped TPCi is like sayin' you can't have any fruit loops cause you ate some frosted flakes.

It is just business. If you jump ship on roles you have, you have to be recast, which cost money and time. Like I said, it isn't like they don't intertwine. Dan Green of all people voiced in Pokemon, and is so far the only voice for the Yugioh 3D Movie commercials. And apparently, both voice directors have voiced for the inverse, one for two major roles. That would be Tom Wayland voicing Crow and Lester in 5Ds.

That is why all these 4kids v TCPi arguments fail.

Yeah, but it's understandable that some fans would prefer one voice cast over the other. =)

When it comes down to voice acting and who is best for each character, it's all about opinions and who you think is better. ^^

It'll be interesting to see who's credited as main cast for season 14. Sarah Natochenny, Michele Knotz and Jimmy Zoppi aren't going anywhere.
I just thought of something. TPCi might use Sarah Natochenny as Iris. Then she'd be voicing both her and Ash. =O

Well, Sarah is pretty good with her female roles. So I wouldn't mind if TPCi gets her to voice Iris (I'd prefer Lisa Ortiz though, just because I love her work).

I'm worried about Ash though, because of the whole "Pokemon anime being restarted" thing. Best Wishes is a lot different than the D/P series, because Ash is acting the same way he did back in season one...

Anyway, I heard that Pokemon is non-union. But I don't know anything about union VS non-union stuff, so I'm not sure what that means when it comes hiring voice actors. What I don't understand is how come TPCi is hiring some 4Kids VAs, while not allowing others to work on the show? Seems kinda strange to me...

Last edited:

Very few VA can actually be called 4kids VA. If anything, all I can think of is Dan Green, Darren Dunstan, Marc Diarason, Lisa Otriz, and Sean Schemmel being people who work mostly 4kids in NYC. However, they all have done jobs with Pokemon after the switch, with only Veronica Taylor not returning, for whatever reason. It is just plain stupid to not use an amazing actress.

Again, there is no rivalry, as I already explained. 4kids has Yugioh, which brings in more money monthly than Pokemon does. And Yugioh has higher ratings. There is no rivalry.

The fact that the studio switched yet again from TAJ to DuArt the same time that the old guard started trickling back in is a little hard to write off as a coincidence, not to mention that there were quite a number of former 4Kids employees besides the main ones who worked with TAJ and haven't been heard since: Matt Mitler, David Lapkin, Robert O. Gorman, etc.. Something went down behind the scenes, though it's unlikely we'll ever get the full story, so let's not get into another argument about who was wronged and if it was for no good reason or not.

In any case, as long as there are no contractual obligations barring the way, anyone can potentially audition or send in a demo for consideration. Despite popular belief, casting VAs is hardly a popularity contest past getting a foot in the door. If there's a particular VA folks want to see and haven't, it's either because they weren't right for any parts so far, or they didn't bother auditioning.

However, they all have done jobs with Pokemon after the switch, with only Veronica Taylor not returning, for whatever reason. It is just plain stupid to not use an amazing actress.
Exactly. It makes you wonder what's going on with TPCi...

Also, on a related note, check out the Veronica Taylor club thread, if you wanna discuss her roles and stuff. =) *insert shameless plug here* XD

Anyway, those are very good points, Shift. ^^

And I agree, we don't want to start any fights about what happened in 2006, who caused it, and who was wronged. Hehe, we would probably just go around in circles, because no one has the whole story. XD

Going back on topic, has anyone played PokePark: Pikachu's Adventure? The reason I'm asking this is because PokePark has the exact same voice actors from TPCi's Pokemon dub. I beat the game recently and just watched the credits. And although it didn't surprise me, it's interesting how TPCi used the same voice actors for that game.

Last edited:

I don't know if I'd want Sarah to voice Iris. From all the work she's done on Pokemon so far, her voice seems more suited for slightly older characters. Iris sounds really young in Japanese, so I don't want her sounding older than that in the dub. And I know I don't want Michele or Emily doing it, because then she'd sound too much like May or Dawn.

But in the end, it doesn't matter to me who voices her. As long as the voice itself is good, then I'm happy.

Anyone think the guy who voiced Brock will now play Dento? Since Brock leaves the anime, he doesn't play any other major characters still around at the moment.

He also did Drew, Scott (of the BF), and Tucker's voice back in Battle Frontier.

I can see him pulling his own unique Dent voice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom