• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

General Questions For Playing X & Y

YaelleG

Reaction score
Hi. I have a few questions and I wanted to see if I could get them all cleared up in one spot....

Ok so I do NOT have the newer DS systems. I have a DS Light & a DSi. I suppose that means I'd have to hand over a bunch of money if I want to play X & Y. So I'm trying to work it all out:

1. New system.
a. What are my options for a DS that will play these?
b. Cost? Least I could get away with spending?

2. Cost of the game(s) atop that system
a. are there any good value bundles - like a DS and the game?
b. Am I going to hate myself in the morning?
c. Don't forget that I am up to hour 450 in Pearl. Now THAT is value.

3. The Money
a. remembering how I got screwed on my DS Lite when I traded it in for the DSi but then 6 months later discovered the world of Pokemon & the fact that I really do need the daggone GBA slot...

b. If I can get at least a decent trade in value, think I'm willing to part with my DSi & just keep my little $29 DS Lite if I can get away with not spending a fortune here just for Pokemon games. I say that cuz I know I cant get anything for the Lite.

c. So I discovered Pokemon like 6 months ago. I LOVE it. Really. ComicCon is in town right now & I'm here playing Pearl instead of there LOL. I have bought Pearl, Black II, and 3 other games plus 1 bad copy each of 2 of the GBA games.
Cant think of which GBA games.... but I just got my money back. They were bootleg & did not work or save. The eBay seller sent me an email offering me a refund if I would retract my bad feedback lol. (I changed it to neutral)

So yeah I cant....ack!!! People give me a hard time because I should have a lot of money that I got from the military for screwing my life up, but a lot of that money goes into my living expenses, mortgage, etc. plus I have 2 teen boys and a jerk ex husband. So... I HAVE the money but I *need* to be able to justify this!!! Sorry so rambly. Pain meds lol.

I don't have a 3DS either. My parents won't buy me one, because I "already have enough devices." I have (well my family has) a Wii, an XBox 360, a PS3, and a couple DS's. We don't play on any of them. I already beat all the games for them (or got bored of them, or my family scratched the discs) and my parents refuse to buy us more games for the same reason as above. The only stuff I use is my iPhone and my laptop. I really want to get a 3DS but I don't have enough money. My DS's have major probs connecting to the internet. I can't do any wifi stuff and it CANT connect to the internet, no matter what I do.

Bottom line: I know that feel, bro.

Anyways, ust sell the DSi and buy a 3DS on ebay/craigslist. You can find them for cheaper on there. You should be able to get about 1/2 the cost of the 3DS by sellind the DSi.

I don't know what possesses you to write your questions out in this weird order and manner but I'll do my best to answer you with the knowledge I have.

1. New system.
a. What are my options for a DS that will play these?
b. Cost? Least I could get away with spending?

The 3DS and 3DS XL are the two systems. The main difference is the XL is a bit bigger (so bigger screen, and I guess more data storage). Retail new, the 3DS is about $170, probably a little more for ones with cool designs like the new pokemon 3DS. The XL is about $30 bucks more. It's probably worth it to get bundles with a game, since it will be slightly cheaper than buying the two separately. If you troll places like Ebay and Overstock you will probably be able to find the systems for a little cheaper, but it will take energy on your part. Also individual stores will have sales and such that coudl help you get them cheaper.

2. Cost of the game(s) atop that system
a. are there any good value bundles - like a DS and the game?
c. Don't forget that I am up to hour 450 in Pearl. Now THAT is value.

Value bundles I mentioned. It's liekly there are, you'll have to look yourself at your local stores or places like Amazon for the best deal. I have a 3DS, and before that I had a DS. The only thing I played on my DS was pokemon, and in my other systems it was more or less the same. I have six games already for the 3DS and a couple I've downloaded off the store for cheap, and I play my old pokemon games for the DS (BW and BW2) on it as well, and I already have Y pre-ordered. I use the internet on it to look up stuff when I'm stuck on my game, and I can switch back and forth without stopping. Also the wifi lets me get free content and system updates. I can download demos of games for free to make sure I like the game I'm thinking of getting, and the 3D is just plain cool, it blows people's minds who aren't familiar with the technology, and I can turn it off if it starts to bother me. I can't speak for how you will feel, but as for me, I fucking love my 3DS. When I think about someone stealing my purse, the thing I would hate to lose the most is my pink 3DS, not my phone or my wallet. I have to say it's the system I've used and enjoyed the most by far and this includes not just my handhelds but my PS systems and Nintendo/Gamecube systems. So are you going to hate yourself in the morning? All I can say is that I haven't for one second regretted anything about my 3DS and I doubt that I ever will.

3. The Money
a. remembering how I got screwed on my DS Lite when I traded it in for the DSi but then 6 months later discovered the world of Pokemon & the fact that I really do need the daggone GBA slot...
b. If I can get at least a decent trade in value, think I'm willing to part with my DSi & just keep my little $29 DS Lite if I can get away with not spending a fortune here just for Pokemon games. I say that cuz I know I cant get anything for the Lite.
c. So I discovered Pokemon like 6 months ago. I LOVE it. Really. ComicCon is in town right now & I'm here playing Pearl instead of there LOL. I have bought Pearl, Black II, and 3 other games plus 1 bad copy each of 2 of the GBA games.
Cant think of which GBA games.... but I just got my money back. They were bootleg & did not work or save. The eBay seller sent me an email offering me a refund if I would retract my bad feedback lol. (I changed it to neutral)

I believe all the 3DS systems out right now can accommodate DS games, so those, at least, you won't have to worry about, even if you trade them in. Generally though, I've found trade in values at places like Game stop to be a total jip. I would save up and make a proper investment, if I were you. I generally find I'm not sorry when I do that.

The 3DS and 3DS XL are the two systems. The main difference is the XL is a bit bigger (so bigger screen, and I guess more data storage). Retail new, the 3DS is about $170, probably a little more for ones with cool designs like the new pokemon 3DS. The XL is about $30 bucks more. It's probably worth it to get bundles with a game, since it will be slightly cheaper than buying the two separately. If you troll places like Ebay and Overstock you will probably be able to find the systems for a little cheaper, but it will take energy on your part. Also individual stores will have sales and such that coudl help you get them cheaper.

You're missing the new 2DS that will be released on the same day as X and Y, Oct 12. On the Nintendo website it's listed as 129.99http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/new/. It looks pretty different from the 3DS, but it does work with all of the 3D games, just without 3D.

@YaelleG;
If you want to spend as little money as possible, you've got 3 reasonable options.
a) Get a 2DS, which is a 3DS but without the 3D, the ability to close (there's a sleep mode slider at the bottom), and 40 bucks. It's quite ugly in my opinion, but it's much cheaper, so if you don't care about the design and keep your portables in your backpack or purse as opposed to your pocket, it's for you. Here's a link to the website.
b) If you don't want the 2DS because you want to experience the 3D, you don't like the design, or you hate hipsters, just wait until a bundle that includes X and Y comes out. Bundles give out a certain game with the console for a lower price, but you'll have to wait until one comes out. There's a chance a bundle won't come out, though.
c) Buy a copy on the black market. Don't do this if you want to support Game Freak.

Probably.

Also for the record, X/Y do not support 3D in the overworld, except for certain scenes. Even when it does support the 3D (in battle) the fps drops, however. So the 2DS would be fine for X/Y.

Ohhhhhhhhh!!!! My Gosh! I am so glad you reminded me about the 2DS. I couldn't give a flying rat's monkey breath about graphics, really. If I were one of those people who flips out over graphics, I suspect the ones on the bottom half of the screen on the 3rd gen Pokemon games would've killed me by now. Oh wait - those are mimicking older games, so yeah i'd have been long dead lol.

Shoot I forgot all about that gonna make a note of it right now. Thanksssss.....
PS: my copy of Platinum came in the mail yesterday & I am thinking... I just played Pearl for like 6 months solid plus began on Diamond, can I really do this all over again??? LOL but it seems to be a bit different. Yeah ok anyway, 2DS and bundles. Definitely good options. Cuz I like to have food AND electricity.

Nintendo 3DS, 3DS XL or 2DS.
The 2DS cannot display 3D graphics and has the same screen size as the 3DS (which is fairly small). The XL is the more expensive of the three, but it's the one I'd recommend if you didn't have to worry about other costs (if only we could!) - especially as special Pokémon XY XLs are out at the end of the month.
The 3DS costs around $180, with the XL costing about $210. The 2DS costs around $130 iirc.

No official bundles have been announced, but some retailers might do their own, so it's worth asking.

Also for the record, X/Y do not support 3D in the overworld, except for certain scenes. Even when it does support the 3D (in battle) the fps drops, however. So the 2DS would be fine for X/Y.
That hasn't been confirmed to be the case outside of the demos seen at events, which are never based on final versions (hence why they don't get released to the public).

Last edited:
The 2DS cannot display 3D graphics and has the same screen size as the 3DS (which is fairly small). The XL is the more expensive of the three, but it's the one I'd recommend if you didn't have to worry about other costs (if only we could!) - especially as special Pokémon XY XLs are out at the end of the month.
The 3DS costs around $180, with the XL costing about $210. The 2DS costs around $130 iirc.

No official bundles have been announced, but some retailers might do their own, so it's worth asking.

That hasn't been confirmed to be the case outside of the demos seen at events, which are never based on final versions (hence why they don't get released to the public).
It has been confirmed. It's on the official Japanese site.

Interesting. Can't say I've come across that before. I guess somewhere had to take the cut for all the 3D models.

Not quite 100%; it says that it supports 3D in battle, and some event and demo scenes, but it doesn't explicitly say anything about overworld 3D support, although pretty close.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom