• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

General Warriors/Musou Thread

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
The romance of the three kindgoms, nobunaga’s ambition, one piece, gundam, fist of the north star, the hundred years war, tecmo koei all stars, legend of zelda, fire emblem, the list could go on for ages. Either way the warriors/musou series is just the epitome of the modern day hack and slash subgenre, where you somehow manage to plow down unrealistically huge amounts of people and only have trouble when the enemy is actually a named officer with beefed up stats and promenience in story.

Personally my favorite games are DW8 and it’s XL expansion, SW3 (still pissed we never got the XL expansion for that one and only that one), and hyrule warriors.
Despite how stagnant this series is, they somehow manage to keep stuff fresh in the crossovers and spinoffs, such as bladestorm nightmare having a book 2 that is high fantasy as opposed to bladestorm 1 that was more accurate or the dream islands in one piece 3.
What’s your favorite? Did you not like it? Is there any musou crossovers you want to see? What about a real life musou in a period not already featured?

I've actually never played the mainline Dynasty Warriors or Samurai Warriors games, but I've played several of the crossovers and spin-offs. Mystic Heroes (Gamecube version), the Dynasty Warriors Gundam games (2 through Reborn), and Hyrule Warriors are the ones I've tried, and I enjoy all of them to varying degrees.

Mystic Heroes is fun in small doses, but it gets kinda repetitive and the textures and art design is kinda muddy and bland. The voice acting is hilariously bad too, but I consider that a positive since I like the cheese factor and it isn't like I took the game's plot seriously anyway. When I was a kid, this game seemed so hard in certain fights, like the big phoenix-type bird you fight fairly early on lol.

The Gundam games are great! My personal favorite is Reborn on the PS3 (which I got the platinum trophy for), since it had the widest range of characters/mobile suits and gave a lot of attention to Seed/Seed Destiny, and Seed is still my favorite Gundam series, popular opinion be damned. I was very happy that Seed and its sequel got a History Mode/Story Mode too, simple and short as it may be. I kinda wish it had the characters from different series interact with each other more, like in the previous games, but ehh, I can take the trade-off if it means more of my favorites got in. I'm still waiting for a new DW Gundam... I want Iron-Blooded Orphans characters to get their chance to slaughter hordes of grunt suits.

DW Gundam is part of why the excuses people make for Fire Emblem Warriors focusing so much on newer, 3DS-era characters bothers me, since aside from Reborn, the Gundam games give way more attention to the UC characters and mobile suits (and nearly all the UC shows are the older ones). The Gundam games handle representation for the classics and newer shows very well, in my opinion. Shame FE:W couldn't do the same, in my eyes. :/

Moving on, Hyrule Warriors is a barrel of fun too! I think it has a great selection of characters. And I know people like to diss the "OCs" of the game (Cia, Lana, etc), but I really liked Lana. She's cute and spunky, and her feelings for Link were not annoying. She was also fun to play as in her various styles. No problem with Cia either. I think there are absolutely some characters that they could do with adding in the definitive edition on Switch (just add Groose, everyone wants him. And add some BotW characters like Revali please!!), but I'm okay with them just porting over the 3DS features if that's all they're doing. The game had a TON of content, and I had a blast playing through some of the harder missions with my sisters in co-op.

Wish I had experience with the main DW games though! I enjoy the zen-like state that comes with crushing the masses of enemies and getting "in the zone" so to speak, so I'd probably like them.

Personally it’s more a matter of what sells vs what’s a blend of new/old
DW gundam and one piece warriors featured characters popular with the fanbase/sold well, as did hyrule warriors. Fire emblem warriors tried to do the same as 3ds emblem sells well and lyn is a popular waifu, and marth is face of the franchise, so it’s justified. It’s more the clones that are the issue

I have played Dynasty Warriors 3, 5 and 8, Warriors Orochi and Samurai Warriors 3. I'm always second player, and that's how I like it - no pressure, I just babysit the dweebs and be a deadly liability/savoir. I'm a big fan of the series, but I'm having a hard time deciding on my preferred title...

Well, DW3 had the best combat, for sure. But of course the consoles capabilities were low, so the graphics were godless, the maps were empty and no one was especially hot. Though I did develop an obsession with Diao Chan, who was fun and aesthetic, but you couldn't play as her on Story Mode, so I never really played it again. Its Diao Chan or nothing. But I mostly played as Lu Xun and Zhao Yun - my boyz.

DW5 was very brief, but I liked the little I played of it. And saw of it. It was way too dark.

DW8 was the most recent, and I seriously enjoyed it. The character designs were epic, it was relatively challenging... yeah. It was good. Good memories.

Warriors Orochi - I probably played this the most, I think. It was exceedingly fun, and this man...
latest

Meet Taigong Wang - supreme overlord of EVERYTHING. No, truly, he's insane. But you can't play as him in Story Mode for a few f-cking years, so you've got to settle for a complete deadbeat. But he justified all of Orochi's flaws just by existing. Did I mention that I have his shoes?

Samurai Warriors 3 was positively great, but babysitting the Dweeb (our name for Tokugawa Ieyasu) remained my blackest purpose. I specialized as Ina and Masamune Date, who were infinitely overpowered and utterly enjoyable.

I'm a fan of the series, and I would have been excited for DW9...
Except for Koei is an utter bastard, who assumed that 2-player mode was an anachronism and that people simply didn't have friends/family anymore. Can I just say something, video game companies of the world?
NOT EVERYTHING IS ONLINE.

I own Dynasty Warriors 2, 5, and 8 Xtreme Legends for the Vita. Chen Gong was just awesome, and I liked the difference between historical and hypothetical. Made you feel like you were making real decisions.

Also own Samurai Warriors 1 w/ Xtreme Legends, 2 w/ Xtreme Legends and 3, but the Wii crapped our a long time ago so eh. Between me and my siblings, we played Samurai Warriors 2 about 5,000 hours to be conservative. We played it every day for over six years now, and my brother and sister still play it.

So yeah. Good game. I also own Warriors Orochi 2, played that for 80 hours or so trying to unlock Orochi X. Torture.

I have Hyrule Warriors for 3DS but I can't wait to get the Switch port in May. I get to take fabulous Lord Ghirahim for a spin in HD, and the 2-player looks gorgeous.

@Revenge of the Boyega

And did you see that gameplay trailer of Guan Yu climbing a ladder? Looks like he had too much coffee, all that squirming to ascend just one rung. XD

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom