• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Simple Questions, Simple Answers

I was joking about PokéDecies.

Guess the punchline got lost one me then. I'm foreign, so very likely. Didn't actually even know about that plural to begin with.

Anyway, that long quote pretty much sums up how I feel. Big fan of memorable characters here. And yeah, capitalized You is a very common thing in advertising, for logical reasons.

Probably a simple question, but one I was never taught in any sort of school classroom or writing workshop:

"The forest was peaceful today." or "The forest was peaceful that day."

I'm leaning towards the latter, as it's very clearly written in the past tense which is what all of my writing is in... yet at the same time, I'm not completely certain if just one is acceptable or both.

well "today" means that while the story is told, it's still the same day it happened, "that day" means it was just on some specific day, likely not the day the narrator is speaking.

i'm definitely not someone to consult on then vs. now though, as i use both, caring little for the grammar as then feels sorta distancing.

When you're really freaking stuck for a small part of a chapter yet you kind of know what should go just after it, do you just kind of go through it or leave it and come back to it?

When you're really freaking stuck for a small part of a chapter yet you kind of know what should go just after it, do you just kind of go through it or leave it and come back to it?

Depends. If by "come back to it" means you're writing other stuff instead of coming back in another sitting, then that should be fine. Otherwise, power through it. I find it 100x more difficult to get started with writing if I know I'm stuck on something or if I don't know where I'm going next.

Is it bad that I find most writing motivation advice cheesy?
I have the same feeling. I think it is because most writing motivation advice are just telling what you should do to become motivated, but never describe why doing those things will makes you become motivated. Additionally, is it practically possible for you to do those thing?

For example, I'm motivated to writing very easily. Just give me a computer that is free of WiFi, a quiet soundless room with only myself, a comfortable chair where I can sit for a few hours, then I can start to write immediately.

However, my current situation doesn't allow that anymore. I moved to a share accommodation due to work purpose, the people in the house loves to socialize and watch TV/movies every single day. There is no quietness inside my accommodation except sleeping hours. If I want quietness the only option is going outside to the nearby park (No not cafeteria nor any restaurants, those are just source of noise), but my worn out old laptop's battery cannot last for anything more than a hour.
I haven't write anything for a long period, not because of I don't want to write, but it is just my situation doesn't allow me to relax.

do you guys think that, in a 1st person POV story, text with a bunch of consecutive paragraphs that begin with "i" (the pronoun) is a problem, or am i (and the commenter that made me insecure about this) just being crazy? because i don't really know how to avoid that as i do have to have a way to tell about actions being done the narrator.

funny too how the structure of finnish makes this not be an issue in stories written in it, because of the pronoun being included as a suffix in the beginning verb. but i'm not writing finnish, am i.

Generally, no. Names - and that includes pronouns, in this context - tend to become about as visible as punctuation to the reader

i guess i'll just go tell that guy to heck off then. thanks

Anyone ever worry that the subject they choose to base a specific chapter around is going to bore people or go over their heads? Or do people view it as an opportunity to create an experience that others can learn from and broaden their horizons with?

the latter is unlikely in this case

Like, basing an entire chapter (or a large portion of it) around a subject that isn't strictly run of the mill for the story. Something out of the norm but very pointed and specific.

For example, the situation I'm having second thoughts about is basically a makeover scene after going clothes shopping. I'm enjoying the process of writing it, but I imagine that it would bore a large majority of people to tears, simply because they can't identify with it or have no/little experience with it in their own lives, or view it as beneath them.

@Emma Prescott People may be bored, but that is indicative of writing anyway. People get bored by action scenes even when they are hugely important to the plot, while others love those and nothing else. I think if it is well written and shows new or different sides of the characters, people will probably be able to get behind it in some degree.

How do I get over a crippling fear of criticism? I'd love to post my work to FF.net or Fictionpress but the very thought of criticism paralyzes me and makes me unable to write. This fear stems from when I used to post to FF.net when I was 12 and I unwittingly made some glaring mistakes on a historical piece. A person who reviewed the story was very harsh and basically told me, among other things, that I should either learn to "write correctly or don't write at all." I'm now 26 years old and my confidence is still shot from that experience. What can I do, if anything, to try and overcome my fear?

That sounds like a terrible experience, I am sorry you have had to go through that. There are people like that out there, particularly on more popular sites like that, but generally, they are in the minority. Most reviewers, particularly on forums, are more likely to be supportive and constructive in their criticism rather than acting like that. The reality of writing, or any creative form of expression, is that you can't put it out into the public and not expect some form of feedback. Some of it may be mean like that, and it can be disheartening to receive that level of criticism, but it is important to soldier on and not let it weigh you down. Those reviewers are usually trolls who revel in being mean rather than helpful, and you simply need to ignore it and focus on the feedback that is helpful and positive. This thread has some good tips on how to respond to reviews you may find useful :)

Try to bear in mind that among the nastiest and most arrogant reviewers essentially have Golden Word Syndrome - just for their reviews rather than their own writing. And the culture of reviewing usually supports this, since authors arguing with reviewer is usually seen as a bit crass, and reviewers are rarely themselves reviewed

Acetrainer14 and Beth, thank you for your input. :) I think I will stick to posting my work to a forum such as this one. Everyone here on Bulbagarden has been so kind to me, kinder than many other sites I have visited. I have even gained confidence in posting my art, albeit only in my blog. If I can gain confidence in my artwork then I know I can eventually gain confidence in my writing as well. :D

I personally very much like it when authors reply to my reviews. Reviewers aren't perfect and of course sometimes I might miss or misinterpret things, when authors reply it also gives me a new angle to what I'm reading and might give me more ideas if I chose to review in the future.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom