• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Simple Questions, Simple Answers

A person who reviewed the story was very harsh and basically told me, among other things, that I should either learn to "write correctly or don't write at all."

First off, that person is a jerk and I'm sorry that happened to you. How are you supposed to learn to "write correctly" if you don't write at all? If any reviewer ever tells you to give up for any reason, then they can fuck right off. Keeping at it is what makes you improve, and any reviewer that doesn't acknowledge that isn't reviewing for the right reasons.

As Ace said, forums tend to be more supportive. We don't have a culture of reviewing to boost our own self-esteem, which can be toxic. As for advice: I'd suggest starting by doing some reading and reviewing of your own. Even if you don't think you have anything to add, I guarantee you that your feedback will be appreciated. This will help you build your skills as a writer as well as giving you an idea of what kind of reaction you might expect to your story. If you're still nervous about sharing your story with everyone, try messaging someone in particular and asking if they could give you some feedback in private. This is a good stepping stone. If you feel like you don't know anyone well enough to ask them, feel free to make a post here or in the General Chat thread, or just message a Workshop mod (that's part of what we're here for). Somebody else did that a little while back and got a pretty big response. We all like to help each other grow as writers here :)

Hope this helped. Good luck!

Pokemon crying, how do we feel about that? Is that pushing the bounds of 'realism', since many animals don't cry like humans do - and if it is a bit of a distraction, what would be a similar way to convey a Pokemon suffering emotional pain without tears?

a lot of dogs can seem "sad" when they do that "guilty" pose (head down, looking up at scolding owner, tail held low and possibly between legs) or stare after another dog walking away not having been allowed to play with it (longing stare, whimpers, my dog does this at least).

there are also a bunch of other animal species that grieve their dead, there are videos on youtube from which anyone can study the body language.

anyway generally submissive gestures are the ones that can be seen as "sad", i think. but i guess it depends on the level of anthropomorphism too. most animals can't speak english, yet pokemon do in a lot of fics.

in any case applying realistic animal anatomy to pokemon is all fun and games until you've spent 3 hours researching cephalopod anatomy and then realize squid can't breathe on land anyway

Hmm. That's a tough one. Generally I'm in favour of at least making an attempt at bringing some real characteristics to pokémon for a bit of verisimilitude. There's something pleasing about seeing any kind of cartoon animal do something other than just act like a scaly version of a dog or something (And frankly this fandom is very guilty of turning any furry pokémon into a dog).

That being said, it's difficult to bring an emotion as complex as sadness to this - current thinking on animal emotions is controversial at best, and there aren't a lot of species that show much evidence for it (The obvious problem is that we humans tend to anthropomorphise animals, even relatively familiar ones like dogs. The classic example would be that all other apes smile as a threat, while we use smiling to diffuse tension). Elephants seem to understand the concept of death and to be able to grieve, for example.

I think, on balance, I would appreciate seeing an attempt by the author to think of ways pokémon might show sadness appropriate to their species. Even if it didn't really work or looked awkward I think seeing the thought going into the worldbuilding would make up for it.

question that popped into my head today. you guys ever worry about not being able to write the opposite sex properly?

i'm talking mostly habits like shaving and physical differences and so on, stuff you wouldn't necessary think of because it isn't common or everyday for you.

I haven't really written anything human-based, much less something involving the "daily routine", so I haven't particularly found any trouble.

But yeah, I'd definitely struggle with it, especially with a female main character...

Pokemon crying, how do we feel about that? Is that pushing the bounds of 'realism', since many animals don't cry like humans do - and if it is a bit of a distraction, what would be a similar way to convey a Pokemon suffering emotional pain without tears?

I did get a comment about a pokemon character in Phantom Project and how blatantly saying they're crying seemed weird (along with other things, like a braviary "grabbing" with its wings), despite how humanistic they seem compared to other fic's. You can make of that what you will. As for other ways to portray crying, I suppose it depends on the species. Sounds like you'd have to do a bit of research on that front when you need to.

question that popped into my head today. you guys ever worry about not being able to write the opposite sex properly?

i'm talking mostly habits like shaving and physical differences and so on, stuff you wouldn't necessary think of because it isn't common or everyday for you.

Opposite problem here, actually. I feel confident writing males much, much more than I do females. I don't even focus on physical appearance and specific things like shaving or make-up or whatever, but I still have trouble portraying female characters. I've been pushing myself to write them a bit more, but... male characters are my comfort zone, I guess?

I have thought about that before, and have come at it in a few different ways that seemed to work.

One of the effective methods I've used is to actually consult with woman I trust about whatever issue is troubling me at the moment. It really needs to be someone you trust though.

Another method that's worked for me is to consume media intended for the opposite gender, especially if it's relevant to what you're writing at the moment. As an example, my romances in some other work were significantly more potent after I watched a bunch of romantic comedy films and took notes.

It's an intriguing situation, to write a full, highly developed character of the opposite of one's own. A lot of the big-picture concepts will be just as effective regardless of the gender and can be applied. Gender I feel opens up a whole extra category, or class of categories even, for characterization. Really though, that's a big can of worms that you didn't really asked to be opened here. But for those small things mentioned, having someone to consult, and looking at media targeted at the gender in question are ways I find work.

After a fashion, yes. I've never felt too confident writing bitchy girl politics, something I suspect most girls at at least passingly familiar with. And for the Tigerlily Tourney arc I found I had to do quite a lot of research on underwear

Like DP, I feel kind of the opposite. My more interesting characters, at least in my opinion, are female, whereas I worry that my male characters are either too boring or cliche or just not interesting to read. I'm not really sure why that is, but I never once imagined Alaska (from 8ES) to be male, despite the fact that much of her character and storyline (anti-being the chosen one) was inspired by male characters.

Ok, I'm going to have to swallow my pride on this one. I can't figure out how this sentence should end:

egged on by frolicking cheerleaders, their captain in her reversed colour uniform [i.e: primarily metallic gold] flashing like

The best I can come up with is "like a halogen lamp"

halogen lamp says nothing to me, even after googling, so i don't exactly know what you're after, but here are miscellaneous flashy/shiny/bright things:

- a volbeat's rear end
- (shiny) magikarp's scales
- confuse ray, signal beam, dazzling gleam, really any bright pokemon move
- lake ice (bright af, bring sunglasses)
- topaz / citrine / sunstone etc.
- the sun (beep beep uncreative alert)

@Emma Prescott sure but that's just so straightforward, i mean, the suit likely is already shining because of the sun.

Ok, I'm going to have to swallow my pride on this one. I can't figure out how this sentence should end:

egged on by frolicking cheerleaders, their captain in her reversed colour uniform [i.e: primarily metallic gold] flashing like

The best I can come up with is "like a halogen lamp"

If this is for The Long Walk, you could compare it with the lights of Goldenrod City at night or something. I don't know, there's a simile in there somewhere.

Well plenty literally can force themselves to. I think its bonsly that actually cries itzelf to dehydration. Cubones skull is stained crying so much.

thoughts on using symbolism/motifs (tarot, animal, chess, etc). cool or pretentious?

I think most stories rely on motifs/symbolism in order to tell their story appropriately. Not necessarily all good/great stories have used them, but I think the numbers would be skewed towards the latter. They can be pretentious if overdone/over thought/over used in one story, but largely I have no issue with effective usage.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom