• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Simple Questions, Simple Answers

@canisaries
The middle is easily the hardest part of any story. With PMDLU, I didn't have a very good idea of where to go till the end, and even then, many things could have been done better. The most important thing is to ensure that the main plot I being driven in some way in each chapter, to ensure it doesn't play second fiddle to a subplot. While they can be interesting, they shouldn't take precedence.

Really, the majority of the middle should be strengthening the relationships of your characters through events that are related to the setting, main plot, and sub plots. For PMDFI, I've been writing events about what's happened on the island as they progress to their objective, mainly with meeting the indigenous wild Pokemon. Along the way, I flesh out my characters with backstory and build up the forced friendship their shipwreck has made.

You mentioned that you have some disconnected plot points, so why not try to make connections between them? Think of events that could interweave them, like filling in the missing pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. It can make the story all the more interesting!

I wouldn't rely on my own experience that much, given that I am still working on my writing skills, but that's what I've found. If you already know this, sorry for my repetition.

by now i've written down the events of the story, and i think i might have a pretty okay structure. still need to polish it, though, and make sure everything's paced correctly.

but i need help with something... this story has very much to do with (pokemon) ghosts and how they operate. i've tried to flesh out their mechanics, but the problem is that, to make the story progress as it needs, the rules get pretty complex...

so here's what i've got so far, and what i'd like to know is whether or not this is too convoluted, or if it contradicts any canon ghost mechanics that have slipped my mind.
-All ghosts have the ability to create illusions. However, they have limitations depending on the power and skill level of the ghost.
-Some ghost species have the ability to possess humans and other mon. When possessing another, they're able to create much more vivid and realistic illusions within the host's mind. They're, however, still required to bind their spirit to some form included in the illusion.
-Ghosts cannot read thoughts, although psychic types can. (Thought-reading is outlawed as an invasion of privacy.)
-Ghosts cannot read auras, although some psychic types (and some fighting types) can.
-Ghosts' bodies may be hurt, causing them to lose energy and eventually be unable to fight back. However, ghosts can not be killed by attacking them in the physical world, for they always slowly regenerate back to their original form.
-The only way to permanently kill a ghost is to kill their spirit, which can be interacted with while being possessed by the ghost. If whatever form the spirit is bound to in the mindscape is killed or destroyed, the ghost will die, leaving behind only the tangible parts of their body (Spititomb's rock, Honedge's sword, etc), if they exist.
-Ghosts cannot cross salt.

In the current form of my story, the powers of light and darkness are corrupting "people" into monsters, and the only way to undo that is to "strike a balance" (ie: make light and darkness touch). Problem is, I can't think of what caused it (it probably has something to do with the past), or an inciting incident to get our friendly protagonist involved that won't be too depressing, and doesn't feel contrived.

For the history part, maybe there are these two divine beings that keep a balance, one light and one dark, both trying to take the advantage over the other, Suddenly, the dark being takes control, and that begins this shadow plague that you wanted the story to go around.

Hmm...as for your second, I would normally say that some close relative got affected by the plague, so your protagonist wants to find the healing light to save him. But if that's not the case, maybe he's some sort of hired help to find the light for the leaders of your country? There's multiple approaches, but I feel the first would be the most effective to start the journey.

@lucarioknight56 I like your idea of the divine beings, but the point is that both darkness and light can be bad, and you must strike a balance.

how do you define light and dark in this story? as elemental powers, or something like ideologies? chaos vs order? light and dark are awfully vague

The first one.

how does that work? is light just photons? is darkness the lack of those? why is the balance so important? in order not to burn alive or freeze to death? how do physical concepts corrupt? and if they're not merely physical, how can you have too much good?

i just have so many questions, i don't get the point of the balance element

i mean, i dont get it though. how is heat/light and cold/dark "corrupting" people? what happens to the people? do they turn evil? in what way? how do you get into a position where elemental powers corrupt you?

Someone mentioned order vs. chaos earlier. In this case, light is chaotic, like fire, and dark is ordered, like ice. I also have a vague idea of a vanity/despair juxtaposition.

Well, with this plague, you mention that in order to cure it, there has to be a balance of both light and dark. Is there an imbalance within the person, and if so, how did it come about?

The imbalance is more with the world than the individual.

That being said, since I can't think of a catalyst OR conflict for this story, but I CAN think of characters and scenarios, I may have to go back to the drawing board. I'll write a few scenes, and see if I can connect them all later.

in my case, the answer would be pallet town, but you're asking for a tourist location then that's likely not gonna be it.

@Beth Pavell

Well, I'm thinking Mt. Moon. Imagine: the night sky overcome with shooting stars, with the moon shining bright overhead, Clefairy singing their lovely song in the background. Ah, how romantic.

Seriously though, Mt. Moon would make a good location, as its the only major mountain in Kanto, and it happens to have a good deal of lore behind it too. Hikers would love to go up there!

It's hard to choose between Saffron City, Mount Moon and the safari, but I'd put them in that order if I really had to.

Do I smell an upcoming vacation?

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom