• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

General XenForo Issues/Glitches/Ideas Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you guys have been inundated with reports of forum bugs as of late, but I have something else to add to the pile. I've noticed that when I click on the number of messages people have in order to see their past posts, I get sent to a page saying that I don't have permission. This occurs even if I'm trying to look at my own messages.

I know you guys have been inundated with reports of forum bugs as of late, but I have something else to add to the pile. I've noticed that when I click on the number of messages people have in order to see their past posts, I get sent to a page saying that I don't have permission. This occurs even if I'm trying to look at my own messages.
It's just because the search index is still down for maintenance. Those pages use the search function so they're disabled for everybody at the moment.

So what's up with the boards now forcing-generating a LIST whenever you have a multiple lines of things with dashes? I found a trick to stop it from doing that, but is that something hardcoded? Doesn't seem to be a way to disable it when posting.
TLDR; The new editor supports (some) Markdown, with styling being automatically converted to BB code when the message is saved. For any not familiar with Markdown, it's a simple method for adding formatting by using common patterns. An example that should be fairly familiar to our DIscord users for instance would be using a * on each side of a word to put it into italics.

Can I be honest here? I thought the site was perfectly fine before the update and I don't think this update was necessary at all. With this update, some problems have popped up like the search bar issue. Also, there's the problem with badges not appearing in the right location on mobile. I'll attach an image to show what I mean.

Overall, I'm not a fan of this update and it's honestly why I haven't been active here ever since the update rolled out. You know what they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The site was attempted to be fixed and now some things feel broken. Just my $0.02.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210721-103426_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210721-103426_Chrome.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 5
I’m personally fine with most of the update after adjusting (apart from randomly clicking style since it’s now so weirdly close to the main functions like alerts) and hopefully search should return soon, but I preferred the previous Textboxes (I don’t know the exact term xD, the box where you type replies on forums and edit them).

Many things like adding an emoji, and some kinds of formatting now takes more steps, and there’s this huge blank space on tablets and on mobiles depending on size that doesn’t have icons. Handling messages with multiple quotes also becomes pretty clunky at times. The “Insert Quote” function doesn’t give the BB code anymore and instead stimulates the quotes present in the actual replies and that interface didn’t work too well for me. I do understand that minimising BB code might help newer users in some way, but I’d have loved the option to toggle back to the earlier interface.

Overall these are pretty minor gripes, and I’ll probably adjust in the longer run; but I vastly preferred drafting replies and navigating the previous interface. Just a few things I felt about this update.

Can I be honest here? I thought the site was perfectly fine before the update and I don't think this update was necessary at all.
There are significant security issues with continuing to run an old version of the software. Particularly given the number of users on this forum under the age of 18, and that we need to act as responsible custodians of their personal data (emails, etc), not upgrading was simply never an option.

We're going to be doing another minor update this weekend, which should hopefully resolve some of the outstanding bugs. Just to address some of the things people have mentioned...
  • On the issue of search, we've got two options we're going to try. Worst case scenario, we'll switch back to the default search instead of the Elasticsearch.
  • For the badges display on mobile, we're currently waiting on an update to the addon we use for this. We're testing a version of that on our private test forum right now which does fix the mobile display issue, but it also has a few other bugs that need to be resolved before we can deploy that here. In the meanwhile, I've disabled display of the badges on mobile.
  • With regards to the editor, the new editor gives us a lot more ability to customize it than the old one. If there's a particular element that's missing from the bars that you'd like added, or something about the order of the buttons that you're finding confusing, let me know and I can tweak that element for everyone.

There are significant security issues with continuing to run an old version of the software. Particularly given the number of users on this forum under the age of 18, and that we need to act as responsible custodians of their personal data (emails, etc), not upgrading was simply never an option.
That does make sense, I didn’t realise, or read that it was a new version of sorts and for some reason thought it was an aesthetic choice.

For further feedback going forward, please see the new thread at the link below.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom