• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 1 pokemon you've never had the urge to train.

Grave-E

Load of Belloni
Reaction score
Generation 1 is about 14 years old now, and I've been playing pokemon since it was first released on the game boy. Though despite that, there are still quite a number of Gen 1 pokemon I've never had any interest in using, both during or after the main game.

So are there any generation 1 pokemon you guys haven't really given a second thought about having on your team despite them being up for capture all these years? Is it because they're available too late in the games? That they're too weak? Or maybe you just don't like them?

To get the ball rolling, I've never used either Rhyhorn or it's evolution. Rhyhorn itself shows up at a point where I'll have all the pokemon I want, and although I do like the pokemon itself, I just can't be bothered to level it up to it's 50's for it to evolve. Why go through the work of getting Rhydon when I can have Nidoking or Nidoqueen, who look similar (not to mention cooler!) and whose base forms are available earlier?

Some of the Seafoam Island and fishing rod pokemon, like the Seel or Shellder evolution lines I've never been inclinded to use either, for similar reasons.

For me it's the vulpix family..not becaus eit's bad..
Just because every versions I bought doesn't have vulpix as a wild pokemon... :lol:

2 that immediately come to mind are the Primape and Machamp lines. Even though Fighting is my favourite type, I've never been interested in either of those.

Primape because I don't really like its design and it never really struck me as an actual Fighter, more like a brute and Machamp have that macho-thing going on that I absolutely hate, best seen in Machoke's poses.

I've never really had the inclination to train shellder and its evolution, actually. I much prefer seel and dewgong, as they're more useful to me even obtained later in the game.

Pidgey, Grimer, Koffing, Nidoran(both female and male), Rattata, Drowzee, Caterpie, and Bellsprout.

Just the generic weak Pokemon, though I sorta have fun raising Spearow and Weedle.

Last edited:
Mostly fighting type pokemon; but of all of them I would say hitmonlee, strictly because I find his face disturbing :s

I've never really had the inclination to train shellder and its evolution, actually. I much prefer seel and dewgong, as they're more useful to me even obtained later in the game.

I'm the total opposite. I love Shellder and Cloyster, and I've never trained Dewgong.

Good luck getting me to train a Jynx. It'll never happen.

For me it was Spearow, Tauros, and all of the rock and fighting types. I just never liked the look of Spearow and Tauros. I always found rock and fighting type pokemon to be weak and never liked their designs either.

Koffing's family.
Never was the biggest fan of Weezing. ^^;

And Spearow's family for it's limited movepool. >.>

Usually Rattata, Caterpie, Weedle and their evolved forms, because I've never liked the early rodent/insect Pokémon with very few exceptions. I used Beedrill and Rattata briefly back in the days, but always winded up replacing them.

Farfetch'd and Ditto as well. The former just sucks horribly in every way. Ditto's only purpose is breeding, though Eccentric might make it more useful. Even then, I don't really feel like going through the hassle of raising one, similarly to Wobbufett.

Finally there's Dragonite, who I just dislike, so I'll never bother with it.

...I guess for me would have to be...
The Tentacool, Psyduck, Seel, Geodude, Chansey, Bellsprout, Grimer, Zubat, and Caterpie

I imagine some of the least used ones are Farfetch'd, Tangela and some of the others that didn't evolve back then.

I agree that Dewgong and Cloyster tend to get overlooked a lot.

Ditto of course can't really be, "trained," and didn't have use for anything in Gen 1 since there was no breeding.

Jynx, Mr. Mime and perhaps Voltorb/Electrode. The first two don't really ... appeal to me, and Voltorb has never come off as something to train, to be honest. XD

I am a Pokémon fan since the very beginning but Kanto has always been kinda hard to me, Pokémon wise as there aren't many Pokémon within the first Generation which I like very much.

So, here's a list of all Gen I Pokémon that I never trained whatsoever:

Caterpie-line , I trained a Weedle on my very first playthough, but only until Mt. Moon when I realised that Beedrill sucks. So I didn't gave Caterpie a chance.

Pidgey-line, to me the whole line is terribly bland and boring.

Rattata-line, why pick such a bland Pokémon when other, much better Pokémon show up later on?

Spearow-line, better than the Pidgey-line, but still way too boring to me.

Pikachu-line, had one as a HM-slave in FR ( Flash I think), but never found one in my first Red playthrough. Later on I was kinda sick of Pikachu due to the anime.

Sandshrew,Nido(male/female)-lines, nothing too exciting to me to be honest.

Vulpix-line, I like it and its evo, but I usually had a fire type already in my team at the time I came into vulpix-filled grass.

Jigglypuff-line, I always prefered Clefairy.

Paras-line, to be honest, I find this Pokémon to be terribly ugly and kinda useless...

Abra-line,Drowzee-line,Exeggcute-line, most of the Gen I Psychic Pokémon weren't my cup of tea. I disliked the type most of all back in the days and never bothered much with psychic pokémon until Gen 3 came around and intruced so many cool ones.

Slowpoke-line, Gen I had quiete a few cool water types so Slowpoke kinda fell under my radar.

Farfetch'd, the main problem with this guy is that he could only be caught via trade in the original games and came with a unchangeable nickname which was a major turn-off to me.

Shellder-line, I don't know why. It is a cool line and I seriously need to train one some day.

Krabby-line, see Slowpoke.

Voltorb-line, was way too gimmicky for my taste.

Kangaskhan and Tauros, both were my very last Pokémon in the original dex due to their rarity in the Safari Zone. Not a big fan of Tauros in general.

Goldeen-line, Kasumi's Goldeen was so useless that I never even thought of training a pretty boring Goldfish with a horn.

Jynx-line, still waiting for an evo...

Vaporeon and Flareon, not a big Eevee fan tbh.

Not counting the legendaries we have the Dratini-line which is kinda meh-ish due to Dragonite being so lame in comparison to its pre-evos.

Damn, that was a long list. It might look like I'm a picky trainer but I never had this problem with the other Generation. In fact, I roughly trained 80% of all Hoenn Pokémon for example and tend to train newer Pokémon from a new generation first before I try older ones that I missed ( like my Cubone in HG/SS).

Derp, forgot to mention: MAGNEMITE. I was annoyed when the floating thing had to join you in PMD since I hated running into them in the original Power Plant.

Kangaskhan and Tauros, both were my very last Pokémon in the original dex due to their rarity in the Safari Zone.
I hope you mean in your FR, cause Kangaskhan is easy to get in the originals thanks to M'. Unless you don't use glitches.

Paras-line! Heck, they're butt-ugly and so useless. (It's funny, 'cause "paras" means "the best" in finnish.)
Machop-line. So un-interesting that it hurts.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom