• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 8 - Choose Your Starter!

What's your favorite generation 8 starter?

• Grookey

Votes: 161 23.5%
  • Scorbunny

Votes: 264 38.6%
  • Sobble

Votes: 259 37.9%

• Total voters
I know everyones hating on grookey but I think his final evolutions really the best because cinderace is kinda girly and intelion is kinda creepy. also i think the drum idea is cute. and he has the best gigantimax form.

I've played with Scorbunny as a starter in Sword and with Grookey as a starter in Shield. I have a firm aversion to Water Starters, especially considering the unfairly favorable treatment Water Types have always seen in general, and the completely BS tradition of giving Water Type starters Ice coverage moves, negating their supposed "weakness" to grass types. That continues to be the case in this generation, and one could definitely argue Sobble and his line are mechanically the best options, considering the typing, coverage moves, and so forth. However that just makes Water type starters the worst, not the best.

For Scorbunny vs Grookey, I spent a lot of time in Sword with Scorbunny at the front. He did a lot of work, and I mean a LOT of work in terms of trainers, gym leaders, and so forth, and rarely needed someone else to take the helm. When he did need that, Corviknight was like the perfect partner, picking up any slack without issue. Grookey, conversely, was just not safe to have in front very often. He was too slow and had too many weaknesses, so he spent most of my playthrough sitting in the back, waiting for a time to shine that rarely came. I love the design. I love DK, played Donkey Konga, and Grookey is super cute. But realistically, he needs greater access to physical health recovery coverage moves (Draining Punch should be learned while leveling up) and needs either a stat or ability buff or Something to help overcome the weaknesses of Grass as a typing.

As such I gotta go with Scorbunny as the best starter. I respect those who like any of them, even if I personally strongly dislike Water Starters, but it's Scorbunny all the way for me. Grookey, I just wish he was better than he is.

While I love Scorbunny and I have a tendency of always going to the Fire type starter, I don't like Cinderace. In fact, the initial stage of these starters are great and very cute, but the final evolution was kinda disappointing.

All that said, as for starter, I choose Scorbunny. As the final stage, Inteleon.

In my opinion, Inteleon art is fucking horrible. I think it is te worst final stage starter of all time. A very weird and awkward tribute to 007.

Said that, Scorbunny is my favorite initial stage starter, but i don't like Cinderace very much.

At the end of the day, I vote to Rillaboom and its awesome gigantamax form.

Last edited:
My favourite starter is sobble but the evolutions keep me pushing it aside and go for scorbunny or Grooky and I made my mind that it's Grooky because of it's very cool evolution line .

I love charmander, he is my favorite kanto starter, while he may not be the best for kanto, I now make sure it is evolved into charmeleon and knows metal claw before taking on the first gym. I did that and rekt brocks face! so if you are going to use charmander, I definitely recommend doing this and also, for misty, Make sure you have a pikachu before going into Mt.Moon, cuz I usually have to lose 6 to 8 times in order to beat her! but I have fun wrecking faces when I get to the grass gym. I always have I charizard by then, and I one shot every pokemon in the grass gym. I love charmander!

and aron is very good at countering stage one normals, or most normals and most flyings because he takes no damage from those moves, so whenever I play hoen games, and I go to catch aron, i am there for about 5 to 10 minutes because it takes like 1 hp, so I have to rely on crits!

I'm a little late but Scorbunny is without a doubt my fave, it's the most adorable and I like its evolutions the best, also rabbits are one of my favorite animals :bulbaLove:.

Sobble is adorable too, but I have to admit that I thought Inteleon was strange the first time I saw it, and maybe it is, I mean it is super skinny but has a little belly :ROFLMAO:, but I got used to it and now I like it.

Grookey is adorable too, I know it's a monkey but is so tiny and fluffy that it almost looks like a hamster, in fact all of the galar starters are very adorable :love:. But it is last because I think Grookey's three stages are the most simple, but that doesn't mean I don't like it, I think it's a line with a solid design.

Last edited:
Sobble. I chose Scorbunny for my first Sword playthrough, because after seeing the final evolutions for the first time, Cinderace was the one I liked the most; however, I chose Sobble for my second playthrough, and it stole my heart.

Back
Top Bottom