• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Generation 8 Fix - How to make these games set a standard for the series

yudgefudge

KAMALA KHAN, QUEEN OF THE MCU
Reaction score
You see, I love Sword and Shield. I love all the Pokemon that came from it. But, the majority of fans just keep shitting on it, and its getting to me. So, I decided, hey! let me try fix some of the main problems with the game!
DISCLAIMER: This isn't to undermine the games in any way. It is just some sort of alternate universe, in which Game Freak just, worked harder and had more employees.
Oh boy. This trio was a weird one. Why?
  • Pure typed
  • Revealed more than a WEEK after launch
  • No gIgAnTaMaX fOrMs
Let's handle all these.
WHY IN THE EVER LIVING FUCK ARE THEY PURE TYPED? WHY? WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?
There is no excuse guys. Why? WHY? WHYYYYYY?
Let me pose much better typings for these three, and I'll explain them.
250px-812Rillaboom.png

Rillaboom - Grass/Fairy or Grass/Ground
First, let's take a look at all the information we have about its personality.
"It has a gentle disposition and values harmony among its group." - Shield dex entry
"Rillaboom has a gentle nature and won’t involve itself in trivial fights. However, it is extremely sensitive to any actions that could risk the harmony around it and keeps such actions strictly in check. Rillaboom also has a strong sense of solidarity with others, and it will fight ferociously when its allies are in trouble."

This is the essence of the fairy type. Its all about good vibes, and friendship, and helping its friends. Harmony, peace, and all that jazz. Ground can be given an argument for the same reasons, as Ground is also about being calm, and tough. And, it is a gorilla.
250px-815Cinderace.png

Cinderace - Fire/Fighting or Fire/Ground
Woah woah woah! Put down those pitchforks! Let me explain. As we did for Rillaboom, lets look at Cinderace's entries as well.
"Cinderace has excellent physical abilities, and it boasts some of the best skills among all Pokémon when it comes to explosive force, jumping ability, and kicking power. It’s got a strong core and great balance as well, meaning that it can unleash powerful kicks from any position."
Fighting type in its pureness. I know you're tired of the typing, but it just fits. Its all about kicking and stuff. For the ground-type, I just took it from its pebble-fire attack and footballing abilities.
Design Fix:
Make its paws bigger lol. Why does it have nub baby hands? Other than that, Cinderace's design is good IMO.
250px-818Inteleon.png

Inteleon - Water/Psychic
I'm really confident with this one. Inteleon is all about being intelligent and resourceful. It has many skills, which take a powerful brain to maintain. Honestly I'd give it the dark typing if only Greninja didn't exist.
Design Fix:
(I actually LOVE inteleon's design. It's my beautiful toothpick boi)
Oh boy, shrink those yaoi MASSIVE hands! But keep the index fingers at a moderately higher length than the rest, to emphazise the whole "gun" motif. The feet are okay, just make the feet a bit chunkier, and do the same to the arms. The tail should be shortened by a tad. Make the head more lizardlike. The neck is good. Make the cape along its arms like a wingsuit. Give it a BUBBLE BOWTIE that's just perfect and adowable. Make it able to walk on all fours as well.

75595352_2478385752428987_8661031145885433147_n.jpg

This artwork by Tubz_Az on instagram is exactly what the fanbase wants, apparently
For the launch problem, I'm sure it was an honest mistake, tbh. The way the trailer was formatted, and everything it was clearly an airing error.

Now, to give them Gigamax forms.

For their designs, I don't really know. All I want for each is:
  • Rillaboom meditating
  • Cinderace with a full on jersey
  • Inteleon with an entire cloak
G-Max Moves:
Rillaboom: G-Max Good Vibes (Grass): Rillaboom beats its drum, the good vibes damaging enemies and setting up grassy terrain!
Cinderace: G-Max Dribble (Fighting): Cinderace performs a dribbling move, which confuses the target!
Inteleon: G-Max Gunfire (Water): Inteleon shoots off multiple water bullets, which always lands in a critical hit!
First of all, let's take a look at Grapploct and Polteageist.
I mean their typings. First of all, Grapploct and Polteageist. Grapploct should be Fighting/Water, and Polteageist Ghost/Poison. Also, they should be counterparts. I'll get to that.

Now, next move. Thanos snap G-Max Machamp and Gengar from existence.

Finally, make Grapploct and Polteageist the aces of Bea and Allister, making them counterparts. Also, we are giving them G-Max forms.

G-Max Grapploct's G-Max move: G-Max Tentacles (Fighting), stops the opponent from escaping or being recalled.
G-Max Polteageist would be an entire tea-set.
G-Max Black Death: Curses all foes.

Next, Charizard is getting the same treatment. I AM IRON MAN!
Replace it with G-Max Dragapult.
G-Max Move: G-Max Missile: It also ??? (any ideas?)

Its simple to fix. LESS HOP. MORE BEDE AND MARNIE. The story was slow IMO, and the whole Eternatus plot was a bit poorly executed. Also, only 3 legendaries this gen? What? No other trios? That's odd.
Also, Rose was not a surprising villain, and his motivation made no sense. Like, I know he wanted to help the world with Eternatus' energy, but like, there are much safer ways! MUCH SMARTER WAYS. Also, he wouldn't even be ALIVE for the remaining like, 9 thousand and 9 hundred and 40 years! This is a terrible plan! Oleana would've been a MUCH better villain.

They say, "oh we're cutting the dex for high quality animations." then proceed to REUSE animations, and have WORSE textures than the 3ds games. The Wild Area's textures are just insanely bad. If you didn't make quality animations, where is my national dex? WHERE IS IT? You don't make new animations, turn around and say "Just wait, they'll become available in the future." "Oh, the national dex was cut for quality animations."
You rushed. Admit it. Just so you could get that sweet Christmas cash. You don't have to make every release yearly! TAKE. YOUR. TIME.

Last edited:
I think the Starters being monotyped is fine. I do agree it’s weird they don’t have G-Max forms though. I figured the reason they gave special Z-Moves to the Gen 7 Starters was because of the criticism about the Gen 6 Starters not having Megas, but I guess not.

I think the issue many people have with the starters is less their typing, reveal, and lack of gmax forms, and more their overall designs, at least from what I’ve seen. Changing Inteleon’s typing to Water/Psychic would be rather nice, but it doesn’t fix those big yaoi hands, for example.

The starters were designed as monotype, and additional types just look tacked on the present design. I could perhaps see Intelleon as it is being Water/Dark, but they do look monotype.

And besides, the prevailing complaint on the starters is not their types, but that they look too much l8ke humans and don’t fit as creatures we see in the wild.

starters

I would add the starters armors like the wolfs have, to rise stats and change secondary typing...
In my case grass/steel, grass/dark or grass/rock, fire/electric and water/poison , I dont mind pure types but taking Libero and Cinderace then typing misses a point here , grass/steel would make it good against fairies and poison, tapu bulu would be countered even , fire/electric magnet rise and would get stab from electro ball and that electric web move, water/poison, those arms and legs would suggest that, after all spies like poison, they would get moves associated with secondary or main type SE on Dynamax pokemon (steel, electric and poison would be good enough), the armor can be from wolfes or a new source... also their abilities could change via armor , Imagine you send in Rillaboom that first makes grassy terrain via grassy surge and then transform it into a grass/steel soundproof user, Inteleon water/poison with corrosion, Cinderace fire/electric with...

plot

story was good and leaves a lot of space for new legendaries or a situation what happens after Eternatus goes back asleep, or what other pokemon may wake up after it? will Dynamax change when it sleeps? will it wake up again? are there other sources of Dyna power? will scientis figure out how to control and release Dyna energy via a item?

starters

I would add the starters armors like the wolfs have, to rise stats and change secondary typing...
In my case grass/steel, grass/dark or grass/rock, fire/electric and water/poison , I dont mind pure types but taking Libero and Cinderace then typing misses a point here , grass/steel would make it good against fairies and poison, tapu bulu would be countered even , fire/electric magnet rise and would get stab from electro ball and that electric web move, water/poison, those arms and legs would suggest that, after all spies like poison, they would get moves associated with secondary or main type SE on Dynamax pokemon (steel, electric and poison would be good enough), the armor can be from wolfes or a new source... also their abilities could change via armor , Imagine you send in Rillaboom that first makes grassy terrain via grassy surge and then transform it into a grass/steel soundproof user, Inteleon water/poison with corrosion, Cinderace fire/electric with...

plot

story was good and leaves a lot of space for new legendaries or a situation what happens after Eternatus goes back asleep, or what other pokemon may wake up after it? will Dynamax change when it sleeps? will it wake up again? are there other sources of Dyna power? will scientis figure out how to control and release Dyna energy via a item?
Why would pieces of steel armor give a Posion type to Intelleon? And lord wise the entire reason Zacian and Zamazenta wear armor is that they’re the ancient heroes of Galar, the starters aren’t.

Why would pieces of steel armor give a Posion type to Intelleon? And lord wise the entire reason Zacian and Zamazenta wear armor is that they’re the ancient heroes of Galar, the starters aren’t.

I dont mean the armors need to be from them only, maybe Inteleon could get one from Eternatus?
Rillaboom from one of the wolfes? Cinderace from a new electric legendary? if you get what I mean?

I dont mean the armors need to be from them only, maybe Inteleon could get one from Eternatus?
Rillaboom from one of the wolfes? Cinderace from a new electric legendary? if you get what I mean?
So the starters steal armor from Legendaries? That would mean some link between the starters and the Legendaries to share armor, specially since the armor is tailor made to the point that it has a wolf ear to compete Zacian/Zamazenta's half ear. There’s no such link established between them. And why would each starter only take armor from a specific legendary?

So the starters steal armor from Legendaries? That would mean some link between the starters and the Legendaries to share armor, specially since the armor is tailor made to the point that it has a wolf ear to compete Zacian/Zamazenta's half ear. There’s no such link established between them. And why would each starter only take armor from a specific legendary?

coincidence? luck? or maybe armors created by the proffesor for you? it would be like with Greninjas Bond.
Items that realese power maybe for 3 turns like Dynamax to make it even?

I'm gonna go ahead and admit that I actually really like the starters being monotype, I wouldn't want it every generation but once in a while is fine. Also I would be really annoyed to set another Fire/Fighting starter-that would put me off that starter more than it having a terrible design!

one thing is for sure cut moves would need to come back and get buffed/changed to match the new ones. Pursuit should always deal double demage if someone tries to escape or is trapped...
and always hit. But would make ghosts and run away users immune to it.(not matter the type)
Stake out should work like making every move work similat like Pursuit above.

Comet Punch becoming a steel type move, Double slap a fairy type move? or Comet punch fairy... don't know what better.

Pokemon like Eiscue geeting U-turn.
If they created Stalwart then Volt Switch and Charge Beam for Duradulon.

All of the new pokemon need a serious moveset buff.
Taking how they look , what is their type and their dex entries.

Rage Powder should work like encore in singles... to make sense.

Add some old pokemon like Tyrantrum because I cant belive that fossils arent coming to Galar eventualy. Also buff old pokemon with new moves too.

Bring back Megas.

Bring back Healing Order(should heal 1/3 and every next turn work like a aqua ring, and when used again 1/3+ the 1/16 healing) and Heal Block.

Add some new abilities to old pokemon that make sense and some old abilities or new abilities for the new pokemon that still have free hidden or secondary ability slots.

Would buff Dazzling(immune to increased priority+addition when the priority changed via moves or abilities to make oponent move with a higher priority on the next turn, speed chaning moves, like the turn after trick room the oponets move if faster is counted as a high priority move on that turn, when used flame charge and became faster then Dazzling user then the next move gets blocked by Dazzling) and give to some pokemon to get added like Spiritomb and Beautifly.

Eternaturs needs a new ability a much better one then Pressure. But a new one.

My opinion about "Fixing the starters"
It's probably the most subjective matter on your post, since every single individual has it's own personal taste. It's almost impossible to ask James Turner and his design team to please all fans's demands and likes. I don't mind the starters and their evolutions being pure type ones. To be honest, I did never fall to this fire/fighting hate, and I don't care about their types as well. Just give me a good looking pokemon. But, I'm only talking about myself. On my view, Rillaboom looks better on it's concept art than in the game. The drum is the biggest red flaw to me. Cinderace is enough cool to me pick Scorbunny. About Intelleon, well, I just dislike it - but it's only my opinion, since a lot of people love it. The starters are far from being the biggest issue.

The post game is worst issue to me. These two random weirdos just show up, and we need to beat hem. If you're not about completing your pokedex or playing competitive, then what is left for you? Battle tower? They should have spent more time developing and adding post game content. This is why I love HG/SS and Platinum so much. The graphics could be even better than it is as well. This "we're working to make better battle animations" argument is too awfull to me. I was not even a Dexiter when they announced the Dex Cut; but, I'm playing this game right now, and I'm sure they lied to us.

However, they just sold 6 millions copies worldwide in the first month. People like me just keep buying whatever they offer, this is why we're not going to play better and well developed games any time soon. I don't have any reason to bee excited about DP remakes. Might they end up removing Battle Frontier and Battle Zone with some excuses, and even so millions of copies will be sold.

-Balance BST on weak Pokémon;
-Return hidden power for my boi Bellossom (really?)

Having the side island to explore and find lore for world building would have been nice post game content. Or even the lighthouse stuff with Toxtricity. However I was surprised we even got the weird dudes.
I mean, I loved the pokemon contests from the Original Hoenn games. You used pokemon moves for pokemon shows. I was glad to see the perks of the Camping Feature. The Johto National Park Bug Catching Contest was cool. Maybe something can be done with breeding beyond shiny hunting.
But I think one reason why the post game stuff is lacking is because they are probably planning for events in the Dens. Especially with the G-max pokemon. This is the first pokemon game in my opinion that isn't really meant for deleting and replaying. I also think they very well may be trying to aim for the game to be extended play since pokemon are available by weather which starting in February, will be locked for a month at a time. And then some pokemon being available for limited time in Dens.

The designs for many of the new pokemon were terrible (i.e. uncreative, uninspired, boring, even ugly) both visually and gameplay wise and I would redo a lot of them personally. Like I didn't even think the Unovamons were that bad at all and they had to come up with 150 new ones then. The only new pokemon I'm excited to get is Haterene tbh and I don't think I'd evolve my starter at all.

How to make these games set a standard for the series: Make the game in a way that that actually attempts to rival the content and quality of Gens. IV and V.

Let me say this: I noticed a great trend all throughout the fanbase on how people have "positively" rated Sword and Shield:

"This is the best game... Since B/W."

"It's a step up... From Sun/Moon."

"This is my favorite... 3D ...Pokemon Game!"

"I haven't played since gen. II/III ...And this has been by favorite Pokemon game!"

Honestly, not even the honest positive critiques I've read all thoughout the web suggest they could outpace the DS era. And I believe to make this generation truly set a "standand" for the series, Game Freak must look at the previous standards they already set, and try to rival it.

Thus the stardards to figure out the ways to fix the game are to look into the Games of old, and ask how these games could me made to be placed up to them, where you get critiques like this:

"Wow... This might Outpace HGSS/BW2 as my new favorite Pokemon game!"

"Such effort they put into them... It might not be my favorite game, but wow did they go for the standard!"

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom